Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2013, 08:45   #16

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia 44
Re: Rig and Sails

I have recently purchased a gennaker for our Helia 44 and would like your opinion on rigging.
First, I would like to add a starboard side gennaker sheet winch similar to the port winch that is included in the bowsprit rigging package. The helm winches create a significant safety and convenience problem.
Second, I would like to add a gennaker sheet rope clutch aft of the current gennaker sheet block on top of both port and starboard gunnels. This way the sheet can be taken off the winch and no longer presents the trip hazard across the walkway in the current configuration. This will involve adding a second padeye/block further aft or securing a block to the aft stanchion.
Many of you have more experience with gennakers, large sailboats and rigging than I. I would really appreciate your thoughts.
Onthehook17

s/v Let It Be
onthehook17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 09:13   #17

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthehook17 View Post
I have recently purchased a gennaker for our Helia 44 and would like your opinion on rigging.
First, I would like to add a starboard side gennaker sheet winch similar to the port winch that is included in the bowsprit rigging package. The helm winches create a significant safety and convenience problem.
Second, I would like to add a gennaker sheet rope clutch aft of the current gennaker sheet block on top of both port and starboard gunnels. This way the sheet can be taken off the winch and no longer presents the trip hazard across the walkway in the current configuration. This will involve adding a second padeye/block further aft or securing a block to the aft stanchion.
Many of you have more experience with gennakers, large sailboats and rigging than I. I would really appreciate your thoughts.
Onthehook17
FWIW, my gennaker sheets run through the aft block and are routed to the lee winch. This has never been a 'trip' problem as the windward side is always open if/when there is a need to go forward. Plus, this is one of the smoothest points of sail so actually stepping over the sheet isn't a problem anyway.

I've never found a time when I needed to clear the winch (I have 2 on each side), hence I don't see the value in adding a clutch. But, I'm a keep-it-simple type of person.

I would not trust a stanchion to hold a sheet block. There is a lot of pressure on the sheet of that big sail when running in a 20kt wind.

You might try sailing it a few times before adding the extra equipment.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 16:21   #18

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Square Head Main

For your Square Head Main sail

Why not rig it like a “Doyle Anomaly Headboard

The Best Way to Raise and Lower a Square Top Mainsail

Using the Doyle Anomaly Headboard square top mainsails can now be hoisted without the need to manually attach the headboard to the carriage or re-install the gaff batten each time the sail is hoisted.
Hoisting the halyard pulls the headboard onto the carriage where a toggle locks the headboard into the carriage.
When the sail is lowered the headboard slides off the carriage with slack in the halyard allowing the sail to be flaked on the boom.

Anomaly Headboard | Doyle Sailmakers

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Doyle Anomaly Headboard.jpg
Views:	695
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	65275  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 18:34   #19

Community Sponsor

Square Top Main Sail

Here is another halyard attachment method that Incidence Sails uses to attach the Square Top Main Sail.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Incidence square top Mail Sail.jpg
Views:	4806
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	65287  
Old 08-08-2013, 20:31   #20

Boat: Fountaine Pajot New 45 under contract...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
For your Square Head Main sail

Why not rig it like a “Doyle Anomaly Headboard”

The Best Way to Raise and Lower a Square Top Mainsail

Using the Doyle Anomaly Headboard square top mainsails can now be hoisted without the need to manually attach the headboard to the carriage or re-install the gaff batten each time the sail is hoisted.
Hoisting the halyard pulls the headboard onto the carriage where a toggle locks the headboard into the carriage.
When the sail is lowered the headboard slides off the carriage with slack in the halyard allowing the sail to be flaked on the boom.

Anomaly Headboard | Doyle Sailmakers

Anyone know what size would be needed for the Helia's main?

DH
dochueb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:44   #21

Community Sponsor

dochueb,

Since you have a Incidence square top Mail Sail, I would try this method first before going to the "Doyle Anomaly Headboard". This post below is from a cruiser that really loves this setup.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1305935
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Incidence square top Mail Sail.jpg
Views:	694
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	65311  
Old 09-08-2013, 21:11   #22

Boat: Fountaine Pajot New 45 under contract...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
dochueb,

Since you have a Incidence square top Mail Sail, I would try this method first before going to the "Doyle Anomaly Headboard". This post below is from a cruiser that really loves this setup.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1305935
I like it.

Thoughts on what size line would be needed for such a setup? Same as halyard or lighter?

DH
dochueb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 08:16   #23

Boat: Helia 44

I would also like to order a Gennaker for my Helia 44 "SaltyPaws". I have ordered the factory bowsprit package. As the yacht will be delivered next year, I will not be able to take measures. FP has not been forthcoming with the sailplan, and I would like to order the sail with a 3rd party sailmaker this winter.
I would really appreciate if someone could post the helia 44 sailplain, and the exact measures/design of their gennaker (for use with the factory bowsprit). Thank you.
SaltyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 08:44   #24

Community Sponsor

SaltyPaws,

See if FP or your purchasing broker can get you a copy of the Helia 44 data CD that is included with the boat manuals.

It has tons of great info about everything on your new boat.
Attached is what was on my FP Mahe 36 Data CD to give you an idea.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FP manuals on data CD.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	71041  
Old 30-11-2013, 18:19   #25

Salty Paws. Please find attached a sail plan for the Helia 44. I had a spinnaker made based on this plan. The sailmaker from North still came and measured up though, just to make sure.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Helia 44 Sail Plan.pdf (447.4 KB, 382 views)
Nasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 16:55   #26

Boat: Lightwave 45

Tim

Do you have a genniker. If so do you have use the spinnaker much.
cwjohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 17:30   #27

I had a North A5 Assymetrical spinnaker made. I chose this over a gennaker as it gave me a wider range of wind speeds and angles. I cannot furl it but use a sock to raise and lower. We use it all the time and often in a day its the only sail I put up. In 15k we can cruise at 7knots with this. I can carry it to 70 - 160deg. Also I chose a heavy weight Contender cloth (SK250) giving me durability and an ability to carry it up to 22k. It does get a little scary at that wind speed (SOG 10-12k). Its not for everyone and furling would be easier, but more expensive to set up and I have heard of instances of furling lines fouling and all hell breaking loose. It took a few weeks to get the spinnaker handling down pat, but it now works for us. We don't fly it at night and get it down if the weather looks at all dogey. Sail size 110sqm
We paid $4500AUD for this sail build in Aust to our specs. We were quoted $10000 by the dealer for a gennaker, sail only.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1 Giant Leap with Spinnaker.jpg
Views:	630
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	71380  
Nasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 17:55   #28

Boat: Lightwave 45

Yes, that is useful info. I was toying with the idea of getting a spinnaker and wondering how much it would cost. The genniker is great and at high angles we gullwing the genoa and genniker, but it is a bit inflexible.

Something to think about!
cwjohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 23:21   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon

Hi Guys, we opted for the ParaSailor as very easy to manage with two sailing. Its 150 sq. mtrs and we had an additional winch fitted on Stbd. side, this makes trimming very easy from the aft area as we also normally sail with just the ParaSailor up and as wind builds and time to drop the sail, just run the engines to reduce the apparent.
The ParaSailor will fly in the very light and variable wind without constant attention and from 90 around to 180 so quite versatile. We used this sail quite often over the last seven months and 4000nm and very pleased with our choice.
Gordon.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:56   #30

Community Sponsor

Gordon,
Can you post a few pictures of the ParaSailor flying?

Tags
sails