Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2024, 03:21   #1

Finally, a Windows-Based MFD for OpenCPN

Hello,
I wanted to share some insights from my recent upgrade to Deeprey MFD series, hoping it might help those considering new tech for their vessels. I stumbled upon this UK-based brand offering a marine-grade multifunction display with a focus on seamless PC integration, addressing a long-felt gap for those of us juggling rugged laptops and marine PCs.
These units stand out with built-in NMEA2000/NMEA0183, sunlight-readable touchscreen and12V/24V power, all in a compact waterproof design with a convenient bracket mount.
My experience? It's been a solid performer, offering a clear display and reliable operation in conditions where my previous setup struggled. The Windows 10 Pro and the Intel processor clearly exceeded the requirements to run OpenCPN smoothly. The installation was indeed straightforward, fitting nicely into my console and my N2k network without the hassle I anticipated.
I'm sharing this as someone who's navigated the waters of upgrading marine electronics, hoping it might offer a useful perspective to others. It's not an endorsement, just a bit of info based on my time with the DP121M. Curious to hear if anyone else has made similar upgrades or is considering it.
Enjoy,
josh_nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2024, 08:58   #2

Boat: Corbin 39
Re: Finally, a Windows-Based MFD for OpenCPN

eeek $2950 ........ I must rush out and buy one !
petit bateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2024, 06:48   #3

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by petit bateau View Post
eeek $2950 ........ I must rush out and buy one !

cheap compared to a 12" from the big 4.
Take a 1000 nits touchsreen costs you easliy 1500 of that...
and for R&D till full product plus you also have to finance the company and a bit profit. Nobody invests money and works for free...

quite ok for what it offers. Can you install openCPN on it or is it blocked? Having windows as operation system doesn't mean you can install what you want...
not keen on windows but the platform that offers sounds worth having a 2nd look.

actually why none providing an andriod based MFD that is open on the software side to install apps you want.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2024, 11:51   #4

I totally agree with CaptainRivet. I've had a Panasonic Toughbook in the past, and while they're incredibly durable, they don't come cheap – we're talking upwards of $2000. Plus, trying to see the screen in direct sunlight is a real struggle, and using them on rough waters can be quite the hassle. And that's not even touching on the extra costs, like a NMEA gateway, DC converter...
Some folks opt for standard laptops, which are more budget-friendly, but they really don't belong on a boat. Between battery issues and their general fragility, it's just not a practical solution.
On the software front, I'm currently using OpenCPN. I've noticed the Deeprey brand seems to be pushing Maxsea TimeZero. However, I'm pretty sure it runs on a standard Windows 11 Pro platform, so it should be open to any software you want to download.
josh_nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2024, 12:15   #5

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
cheap compared to a 12" from the big 4.
Take a 1000 nits touchsreen costs you easliy 1500 of that...
and for R&D till full product plus you also have to finance the company and a bit profit. Nobody invests money and works for free...

quite ok for what it offers. Can you install openCPN on it or is it blocked? Having windows as operation system doesn't mean you can install what you want...
not keen on windows but the platform that offers sounds worth having a 2nd look.

actually why none providing an andriod based MFD that is open on the software side to install apps you want.
Raymarine is based on Android, and it has been jailbroken to allow other apps to be installed. The striped down version of Android won't allow all apps, but some will run.
They won't open it up for liability and support reasons is my guess. Install too much crap on it and the basic functions won't work. That is really the only issue with Windows too.
Old 29-03-2024, 12:37   #6

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Raymarine is based on Android, and it has been jailbroken to allow other apps to be installed. The striped down version of Android won't allow all apps, but some will run.
They won't open it up for liability and support reasons is my guess. Install too much crap on it and the basic functions won't work. That is really the only issue with Windows too.
It would be a massive improvement on Raymarine's part to get rid of the dogy Lighthouse software and install OpenCPN on their MFDs.
Old 29-03-2024, 13:47   #7

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Who has jailbroken it, more info please...
I will just install orca, don't need more...
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2024, 14:06   #8

Boat: Corbin 39

Please excuse my ignorance, buying new computers isn't a daily thing for me.

With Win11 can it run dual screen touch screens ? If so then is not possible to run a Windows mini inside at the chart table with one screen, and then only the external screen need be 'ruggedised' to a greater or lesser extent depending on the housing and the use-case. I appreciate that might not be a perfect solution but it might be a good-enough solution for a lot of folk ?

Am I missing something ?

(Yes, in an ideal world, that Deeprey would be a very nice solution. But in the meantime there is a limited wallet and many hungry mouths.)
petit bateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2024, 01:00   #9

On my previous boat I used OpenCPN on a little 10" Asus notebook, connected to the autopilot via a RS422/485 to USB converter, to voyage thousands of miles of coastal cruising. It was a little inconvenient to not be able to modify routes from the wheel position but once I'd clicked in the way points and activated the route I did not often need to change a route. Contrast this with the cludgy Raymarine Lighthouse software which can be modified on the MFD at the wheel but which is so cumbersome as to render it unusable.

It's never a perfect world.
Old 31-03-2024, 13:40   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

Hey 3k for a 12'' windows tablet ?

Hey hey.

pricey

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2024, 14:29   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by petit bateau View Post
Please excuse my ignorance, buying new computers isn't a daily thing for me.

With Win11 can it run dual screen touch screens ?)
Yes, Win 10 and 11 can have multiple touchscreen monitors.
Old 01-04-2024, 02:00   #12

I found that with OpenCPN on the Asus at the nav station connected to the autopilot that I could monitor Distance to Waypoint and Xtrack Error on the autopilot and only needed to confirm the change to the next leg of the route at the autopilot. Once the route on the Asus had been activated no further attention to it was required.
Old 01-04-2024, 07:29   #13

Boat: Bavaria 35H

Quote:

Take look here

https://github.com/colinoflynn/raymarine-axiom-rescue
molly21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 22:41   #14

Quote:
I'll save you some headache. Orca won't work. While I have not jailbroken the Axiom myself (I don't have one) I have jailbroken other locked down Android devices. All of the google play extensions are missing, so any app that uses them will not work. Since Orca has in-app purchases, it also relies on those extensions. Navionics won't work on it either. In reality, very few useful apps could be sideloaded unto it and work. Apps from the Amazon Kindle store should work, since none of those have the google play extensions.
Old 05-04-2024, 06:45   #15

Hello all,
I am using a military GD 8000 by General Dynamics which is dedicated to marine navigation software so I have OpenCPN, Maxsea as well as others and use The Capn First Mate software utilizing its autopilot. It is a seamless multi-electronic navigation software friendly tool and works great!!
aleggert52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn, wind