Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2014, 18:28   #16

Boat: ?
Re: Smart Phones, Satellites, and Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengtstellan View Post
Maybe this is what you looking for
Iridium | Products | Iridium GO

i had a pre-release version on my boat for a couple weeks during a passage...
while i love the durability....it was definitely not ready for show time at that time (maybe 1-2 months before scheduled release)
i wasnt expecting much with data speeds but u should be able to keep connections for voice chats (connection and/or phone apps buggy and not reliable enough)

i may have been tight with energy but i didnt particularly like needed to keep charging it *and* mobile phones constantly...

maybe by v2 the kinks would be worked out.
chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 19:22   #17

Boat: Cal 34 Mk. III
Like some others have mentioned it all depends on how far from shore you're looking to go. I know I get service a couple miles out. On the right carrier you don't even have to pay to tether with your phone as a WiFi hotspot. Beyond that you're looking at a small fortune for satellite that does anything close to what you're used to on land.

One thing I've done is to install a WiFi station on my mast as detailed here: http://mvvikingstar.blogspot.com/201...pdate.html?m=1

This setup, which cost about $200 in all, allows me to get high speed internet on my boat everywhere I go. The only caveat is that I have to be somewhere near land as all it does is repeat a network on shore in the boat over a private network I've set up. The antenna recommended, and which I use, is 9db, but somewhere in the article he mentions how a higher db antenna would give you more range (at the expense of closer range connections). I think he was saying range in terms of miles with the proper setup. All you'd need then would be to happen along an open network.
Flying Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:34   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby View Post
i had a pre-release version on my boat for a couple weeks during a passage...
while i love the durability....it was definitely not ready for show time at that time (maybe 1-2 months before scheduled release)
i wasnt expecting much with data speeds but u should be able to keep connections for voice chats (connection and/or phone apps buggy and not reliable enough)

i may have been tight with energy but i didnt particularly like needed to keep charging it *and* mobile phones constantly...

maybe by v2 the kinks would be worked out.
There isn't a "v2" in the works for the GO. The beta unit you tested is essentially what will be available at the later part of July.

Inmarsat is releasing a device which is similar but should be capable of much higher speeds, I should have one in my hands next week to test.
N3VR L8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 14:04   #19
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3VR L8 View Post
There isn't a "v2" in the works for the GO. The beta unit you tested is essentially what will be available at the later part of July.

Inmarsat is releasing a device which is similar but should be capable of much higher speeds, I should have one in my hands next week to test.
I presume you mean the iSatHub, a somewhat different animal, firstly its BGAN, so what services will work at sea remains to be seen

and at around $3.40 to 3.80 per megabyte - phew.......

dave
Old 11-07-2014, 05:47   #20
GMN
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

All of the major satellite carriers (Iridium, Inmarsat, Thuraya, and Globalstar) have released (or will soon) a new generation of devices they're calling "BYOD" - Bring Your Own Device.

The biggest change between these units and more traditional satellite phones is that you can use your smartphone to make satellite phone calls as long as you're WiFi-connected to the satellite unit. This is nice as you have access to a familiar interface and all your phone contacts, but it does still mean you're paying satellite airtime costs for those phone calls.

Many of these units are being advertised as "Internet everywhere" devices, but take caution and check the data speeds if you really need internet connectivity. The Iridium GO!, for example, while a very nifty little device, will have data speeds that are 2.4kbps: 25 times slower than dial-up. The Globalstar Sat-Fi has data speeds that are 9.6kbps.

Thuraya has faster data speeds for its network - 60kbps - but has limited regional coverage.

The only broadband BYOD device that is coming to market is the Inmarsat IsatHub (expected sometime late summer). This device, like the others, allows you to use your smartphone to make satellite phone calls. The major difference is that it will run at 384kbps - faster than even a Fleetbroadband 250.

We're not sure what the data costs on this unit will be, although we expect the unit itself will cost less than its satellite phone/terminal counterpart: a BGAN unit. (Unfortunately, like BGAN units, the IsatHub is unlikely to work well in a marine environment and, as far as we can tell, will not have an option for an external fixed antenna).

Here is a list of all BYOD devices I'm aware of:
Globalstar Sat-Fi
Iridium GO!
RedPort Aurora
Inmarsat IsatHub iSavi
Thuraya SatSleeve

While equipment costs are coming down (Globastar Sat-Fi is selling for $999, Iridium GO! will be around $875), airtime remains about the same as for traditional handheld satellite phones - about a $1 - $1.50 for voice and $100+ per MB for data. Both Iridium and Globalstar will have unlimited data plans for their units that will run at around $150 per month.

The real game-changers for global broadband internet connectivity will be coming down the pike in about 2-3 years. Both Iridium and Inmarsat are in the process of launching new satellites that will allow broadband connectivity over the globe and, in a move that has the entire satellite industry on the edge of their seats: Google just announced that they will launch an array of 180 satellites to provide global broadband internet. (For comparison, Iridium has 66 satellites). These developments are years off, but certainly promise to change the face of satellite communications - and their prices! - when they arrive.
GMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:13   #21

Boat: Cabo Rico

Email via iridium is fine; to get compressed email and an email address costs about $250 per year in addition to your satellite minutes which are godawful high. It doesn't use that much data as long as your emails (sent and received) are all text.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 19:15   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMN View Post
All of the major satellite carriers (Iridium, Inmarsat, Thuraya, and Globalstar) have released (or will soon) a new generation of devices they're calling "BYOD" - Bring Your Own Device.

The biggest change between these units and more traditional satellite phones is that you can use your smartphone to make satellite phone calls as long as you're WiFi-connected to the satellite unit. This is nice as you have access to a familiar interface and all your phone contacts, but it does still mean you're paying satellite airtime costs for those phone calls.

Many of these units are being advertised as "Internet everywhere" devices, but take caution and check the data speeds if you really need internet connectivity. The Iridium GO!, for example, while a very nifty little device, will have data speeds that are 2.4kbps: 25 times slower than dial-up. The Globalstar Sat-Fi has data speeds that are 9.6kbps.

Thuraya has faster data speeds for its network - 60kbps - but has limited regional coverage.

The only broadband BYOD device that is coming to market is the Inmarsat IsatHub (expected sometime late summer). This device, like the others, allows you to use your smartphone to make satellite phone calls. The major difference is that it will run at 384kbps - faster than even a Fleetbroadband 250.

We're not sure what the data costs on this unit will be, although we expect the unit itself will cost less than its satellite phone/terminal counterpart: a BGAN unit. (Unfortunately, like BGAN units, the IsatHub is unlikely to work well in a marine environment and, as far as we can tell, will not have an option for an external fixed antenna).

Here is a list of all BYOD devices I'm aware of:
Globalstar Sat-Fi
Iridium GO!
RedPort Aurora
Inmarsat IsatHub iSavi
Thuraya SatSleeve

While equipment costs are coming down (Globastar Sat-Fi is selling for $999, Iridium GO! will be around $875), airtime remains about the same as for traditional handheld satellite phones - about a $1 - $1.50 for voice and $100+ per MB for data. Both Iridium and Globalstar will have unlimited data plans for their units that will run at around $150 per month.

The real game-changers for global broadband internet connectivity will be coming down the pike in about 2-3 years. Both Iridium and Inmarsat are in the process of launching new satellites that will allow broadband connectivity over the globe and, in a move that has the entire satellite industry on the edge of their seats: Google just announced that they will launch an array of 180 satellites to provide global broadband internet. (For comparison, Iridium has 66 satellites). These developments are years off, but certainly promise to change the face of satellite communications - and their prices! - when they arrive.
You seem well versed, props.

Yes the IsatHub will be much faster than the GO.

FWIW there will be an unlimited data plan for the GO itself, I am not aware of any pricing on the Hub yet as nothing has been released. I should have a Hub in my hands next week.

I am impressed with the GO, but it is definitely a more versatile sat phone, not so much a internet solution by any means.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GO.PNG
Views:	254
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	84873  
Old 12-07-2014, 07:17   #23

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Does anybody know if the GO will be able to connect to an external antenna to allow keeping it below decks?
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 12:45   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Does anybody know if the GO will be able to connect to an external antenna to allow keeping it below decks?
It will, but the adapter and antenna will not be included with the kit like they are with the phones.

Iridium is hoping to release Friday, but definitely Monday at the lastest.
Old 16-07-2014, 13:40   #25

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
It will, but the adapter and antenna will not be included with the kit like they are with the phones.

Iridium is hoping to release Friday, but definitely Monday at the lastest.
Thanks for this.

I already have the antenna & adapter for my 9505A, so hopefully that will also work with the GO. Wishful thinking, I know . . . .
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 13:49   #26
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
You seem well versed, props.

Yes the IsatHub will be much faster than the GO.

FWIW there will be an unlimited data plan for the GO itself, I am not aware of any pricing on the Hub yet as nothing has been released. I should have a Hub in my hands next week.

I am impressed with the GO, but it is definitely a more versatile sat phone, not so much a internet solution by any means.

Yes bit the isSat hub is BGAN. Not suitable for a moving boat , whereas the Go is.

Dave
Old 16-07-2014, 13:50   #27
GMN
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks for this.

I already have the antenna & adapter for my 9505A, so hopefully that will also work with the GO. Wishful thinking, I know . . . .
I can confirm that the GO! will not come with its own antenna adapter.

(And no, none of the adapters for any of the other Iridium phones will work with the GO! - that would be too easy!)
Old 16-07-2014, 14:00   #28

Quote:
Thanks for this.

The adapter will not work, totally different setup. A typical passive antenna will be fine for the Iridium side of things.
Old 16-07-2014, 14:00   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMN View Post
I can confirm that the GO! will not come with its own antenna adapter.

(And no, none of the adapters for any of the other Iridium phones will work with the GO! - that would be too easy!)
Correct, but it is a purchasable accessory.
Old 16-07-2014, 14:01   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Yes bit the isSat hub is BGAN. Not suitable for a moving boat , whereas the Go is.

Dave
100% correct.

Tags
internet, phone, satellite