Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2019, 19:38   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
Raymarine Axiom 9 with Vespermarine

Hi, just purchased a Axiom 9 with navionics charts.

I already have a Vespermarine XB8000 that I wifi to opencpn.

Can I get Vesper watchmate overlaying on my new Axiom chartplotter?

No big deal if I can't, just a bonus if I can.

Thanks in advance.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 19:45   #2

Re: Raymarine Axiom 9 with Vespermarine

I should add,by wifi connection.
Old 29-06-2019, 19:55   #3

Boat: Catalina 36

Connect with NMEA 2000.
Cat36Mahalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 23:55   #4

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Yes, plug it in via Nmea 2000 and the ais will all turn up on the chartplotter
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 23:59   #5

Ok thanks for replys. It can't be done via wifi?

The vesper xb8000 is also a wifi device, this is how I use it with open cpn. .
Old 30-06-2019, 00:01   #6
cruiser

Dale.

I’ve had nothing but problems and headaches trying to use our Vesper watchmate with our new Raymarine e127 chartplotters. The Vesper unit will be replaced asap with a Raymarine ais. Everytime I try to use the VHF the entire Raymaine unit shuts down and requires a restart, plus the overlays are all messed up. I have no control over the annoying alarms.

They don’t play nice together, probably major software issues.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2019, 00:04   #7

why don’t you ask Vesper for help, i’m sure it’s solvable
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2019, 00:06   #8

Hi Ken , I'll buy an nmea cord and physically attach it. I was hopeing to link them through wifi. The problems not the vesper as I can wifi to other devices. I believe it's the navionics program.
Old 30-06-2019, 09:28   #9

Boat: Wauquiez Pilot Saloon 40

Hi Dale, the limitation is the Raymarine won’t take in an AIS feed via WiFi, so we have used a NMEA 2000/SeatalkNT connection between our Vesper WatchMate and our Ray eS127 very successfully for the last 4 years.
Hi also Kenomac, we have definitely never had your symptoms which must be frustrating. The Ray AIS alarms are set (or for us disabled) within the Ray AIS config, and the Vesper will do it’s own alarms as configured. Make sure you don’t have a NMEA data loop between the devices, I.e. don’t let Ray send AIS back to the NMEA bus, and don’t let the Vesper send NMEA instrument data it sees on old serial NMEA to the 2000 bus either, even if like us you use the Vesper as the hub for a complete NMEA feed to WiFi for tablets etc. Yes it takes some setting up on both devices to get them to play nice together, but they will...and then you get the full benefit of the Vesper features you won’t get from Ray AIS boxes.
Good luck and hope it works before you give up on Vesper...it is really great kit.
Happy Sailing
Regards, Richard,
Seahorse of the Solent
WindyIles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2019, 11:44   #10

I don't have a modern chartplotter, but I have the Vesper XB8000 connected via NEMA 2000 - SeaTalkNG, with GPS and AIS display on the i70s. I use the XB8000 as the main GPS. I route the GPS data from XB8000 N2K to STNG (cable).
Quote:
....and don’t let the Vesper send NMEA instrument data it sees on old serial NMEA to the 2000 bus either, even if like us you use the Vesper as the hub for a complete NMEA feed to WiFi for tablets etc....
I route all the old SeaTalk instrument data back to the XB-8000 using SeaTalk to SeaTalk NG bridge. This broadcasts all the GPS, AIS and instrument data over wifi for OpenCPN. I don't recall whether I disabled the XB-8000 from transmitting this data back to N2K (there's a Vesper program to enable/disable data flow between NMEA 0183, N2K and Wifi.

I have the Vesper VHF/AIS splitter. No problems with VHF or data streams. Might the splitter be your problem with VHF?

Your Vesper XB-8000 can work fine with STNG network.
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2019, 13:48   #11
cruiser

I use the Vesper splitter and have had only one major problem with the Watchmate as a stand alone device over the past two years.....requiring me to return it to where ever * it came from for a replacement and then unable to use it for an entire four month season.

Now... it caused two system crashes today during a four hour cruise. The Vesper Watchmate POS will be sold this fall and the money spent for a Raymarine replacement.

That’s how I intend to solve the problem.

* swear word removed by moderators
Old 30-06-2019, 23:14   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

I really wonder why some guy's bother with Vespermarine and on the other hand insist on chartplotters and abolutely closed source hard- and software like raymarine.

For me the XB-8000 was a revolution long before all others got their ass up.
It transmits the whole navigation bus with NMEA2000 via OpenCPN.

That works, even for the thread opener - so WHAT?

Nowadays I really do not understand why people insit on bloody chartplotters - hell I buy 4 2in1 tablets for the price of one plotter - AND Navionics charts that are known to be unreliable.

And especially Raymarine with a lot of bus-systems I know of:

seatalk, seatalk1, seatalkNG.

What the hell... all well known marine device providers use their own incompatible bus systems so we shoiuld be glad if someone (VESPERMARINE) bundles the hell to NMEA0183/NMEA2000.

I am very glad to have the XB-8000 as my primary navigation bus unit.
Once you solved the painful conversion of the Raymarine bussystems to one reliable... XB-8000 is a fire and forget unit.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2019, 23:20   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

sorry i have to correct this. Raymarine bus systems are reliable but actually what we want is a simple plug in bus system like CAN and not 3 different types from each vendor and converter boxes for at least 200 USD each.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2019, 23:29   #14

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Dale.

I’ve had nothing but problems and headaches trying to use our Vesper watchmate with our new Raymarine e127 chartplotters. The Vesper unit will be replaced asap with a Raymarine ais. Everytime I try to use the VHF the entire Raymaine unit shuts down and requires a restart, plus the overlays are all messed up. I have no control over the annoying alarms.

They don’t play nice together, probably major software issues.
I have probably a dozen customers with this exact setup. No issues with the vespers, watchmates or xb8000s.
If its happening only when you transmit on VHF id be looking at an RF issue. Antenna connections, shields connected to neg etc. Vesper support is excellent, and are likely to be able to sort this for you with a bit of effort on your part.

If the issue is antenna issues, Id start by removing the splitter from the setup and seeing if the issue is still there. It could easily still be present after changing the brand of the AIS....

Good luck!
Old 30-06-2019, 23:35   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune's Gear View Post
I have probably a dozen customers with this exact setup. No issues with the vespers, watchmates or xb8000s.
If its happening only when you transmit on VHF id be looking at an RF issue. Antenna connections, shields connected to neg etc. Vesper support is excellent, and are likely to be able to sort this for you with a bit of effort on your part.

If the issue is antenna issues, Id start by removing the splitter from the setup and seeing if the issue is still there. It could easily still be present after changing the brand of the AIS....

Good luck!
Thanks, I’ll give it a try.

Tags
marine, raymarine