Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2020, 19:20   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 33t
New boat, new electronics. Now or later?

So buying (all done but she's in Florida still) a used boat, hans Christian 33, and with that comes the shopping spree.
The computer geek in me wants to go all in open cpn, tablets/pi etc. But I think that'll be down the road. Maybe.
It's got a Garmin 740s with radar that works well, icom 502 that works. Spare older Garmin plotter that shows maps and depth. Viewable on the hatch from the cockpit the depth is the only gauge that works. The speed and wind gauge don't.
Would I buy better tossing the bucket of money to go all in new gauges nmea2000, AIS, and new VHF to tie into the AIS etc. Or should I just get the wind and ais now, and then slowly add other items? How often do people use the ais to VHF interface?

Right now just trying to think out loud and decide between buying just the two things, wind/ais or buying a bunch of stuff, or waiting and buying the whole setup once I have savings again.

Any new budget AIS transponders that are good?

Thanks.
hscrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 21:23   #2

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: New boat, new electronics. Now or later?

Quote:
The speed and wind gauge don't.
Knotmeter probably just needs cleaning, so fix the windgauge and revisit your priorities after trying what you got for a couple months.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 21:57   #3

Boat: 32’ Sloop

Mine is all open source, fun but also a pain in the ass in some ways

the best Ive seen for wind is
https://calypsoinstruments.com/shop/...ed-standard-81

VHF/AIS I like
https://www.simrad-yachting.com/simr...s-rxtx-rs40-b/

OpenCPN Im also using a HAT2 (gives me redundant AIS and GPS plus AHRS) and a few other things as well as a pypilot and below deck autopilot.

Welcome to the rabbit hole, its deep here
IslandInfedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 23:37   #4

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez

Quote:
Originally Posted by hscrugby View Post
So buying (all done but she's in Florida still) a used boat, hans Christian 33, and with that comes the shopping spree.
The computer geek in me wants to go all in open cpn, tablets/pi etc. But I think that'll be down the road. Maybe.
It's got a Garmin 740s with radar that works well, icom 502 that works. Spare older Garmin plotter that shows maps and depth. Viewable on the hatch from the cockpit the depth is the only gauge that works. The speed and wind gauge don't.
Would I buy better tossing the bucket of money to go all in new gauges nmea2000, AIS, and new VHF to tie into the AIS etc. Or should I just get the wind and ais now, and then slowly add other items? How often do people use the ais to VHF interface?

Right now just trying to think out loud and decide between buying just the two things, wind/ais or buying a bunch of stuff, or waiting and buying the whole setup once I have savings again.

Any new budget AIS transponders that are good?

Thanks.
Vesper Transponders (XB8000) are great. They double as a NEMA gateway so you can connect them wireless to OpenCPN, Navionics App on Iphone or whatever.

One of the best investments we made as well as actually doing AIS (and Anchor alarm on phone).
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 02:53   #5

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

Get AIS now and see if you can fix the wind instruments. I would then spend some time sailing the boat to get an idea what you like / don’t like / need etc. Your to do list is bound to change once you spend some time out on the water.

Ilenart
ilenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 02:58   #6

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Do nothing with the electronics now. First make sure the rest of the boat is in good shape. Rig/engine/sails/plumbing. What’s the use of a new electronics package or parts if the boat is about to loose the mast?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 04:55   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Do nothing with the electronics now. First make sure the rest of the boat is in good shape. Rig/engine/sails/plumbing. What’s the use of a new electronics package or parts if the boat is about to loose the mast?
Better radio and ais for me to call for help?

[emoji1787][emoji1787]
Yes, there are other projects, but being a computer geek first and 500 miles away means I can go down this rabbit hole easier than the other projects. Aka cleaning teak, decks, and bilge areas.
Old 14-08-2020, 05:17   #8

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Do nothing with the electronics now. First make sure the rest of the boat is in good shape. Rig/engine/sails/plumbing.

+1 with getting the boat in good shape before the electronics.

Really the d/f is the more critical piece of electronics to go sailing in your area and a plotter (could use paper if needed), while the rest (AIS, wind, et.c) are nice to have.

As you've pointed out the electronics are the easy part for you and most people understandably want to do the easy stuff first. Would recommend to do the other projects first to make certain your new to you boat is in good order and sail it to find out other things that are needed.

I'm a big fan of ocpn/oplotter of it's capabilities and how features continue to be upgraded. While it is a bit of work, it is more cutting edge and you don't have to replace the whole thing like the box systems when they make changes/upgrades.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 05:25   #9

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by hscrugby View Post
Better radio and ais for me to call for help?

[emoji1787][emoji1787]
Yes, there are other projects, but being a computer geek first and 500 miles away means I can go down this rabbit hole easier than the other projects. Aka cleaning teak, decks, and bilge areas.

Understandable, but to put this into perspective. I’m working on a boat right now that has a beautiful new garmin plotter in a shiny new nav pod. There is no oil in the transmission, the engine has exhaust leaks, all of the hoses are cracked, the furlers are stuck.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 05:41   #10

The other items are going to get done. The depth gauge works but might get replaced since it's old so I can sync it with the other displays.
And yes, I definitely have seen boats with new electronics that were sinking while we have been shopping.
I'm not going that route, but asking about "should I replace this somewhat rough looking drain pipe from the cockpit" doesn't seem interesting. The answer is yes... At least while in comfortable dock before sailing out. She also needs the seals on the toilet water pump fixed, but that also is a no brainier.

I like the all in one of the simrad radio.
Part of the reason I really want AIS is for a MOB ais device to duct tape to my kids head. [emoji1787][emoji1787]. (She's 13)
Old 14-08-2020, 05:50   #11

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Electronics wise, I'd add or replace things that will be immediately useful to you (like AIS). Just make sure whatever you add / replace is compatible with everything you want to eventually install. Then you can add the rest of the pieces later.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 06:07   #12

Boat: Riva 48

Best to wait a few months so that you can get a feel for the boat, where you want the displays mounted, etc. Also, you start any electronics upgrade with the autopilot selection, then the radar selection, then you complete with the sensors.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 12:51   #13

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:

ditto!
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 13:04   #14

Quote:
Understandable, but to put this into perspective. I’m working on a boat right now that has a beautiful new garmin plotter in a shiny new nav pod. There is no oil in the transmission, the engine has exhaust leaks, all of the hoses are cracked, the furlers are stuck.
On the plus side, if there is no oil in the transmission, they can't have a transmission leak...
Old 14-08-2020, 13:07   #15

Boat: 32’ Sloop

If you’re single handing, the autopilot, AIS and depth are going to be VERY important outside of just day sailing.
IslandInfedel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, electronics, new boat