Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20-02-2014, 16:06   #1

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Complete Electronics Outfit - Caliber 40

Hello everyone,

I have been posting a few threads here and there regarding my questions of outfitting my boat, so I think it's time I start a master thread where I can post my progress with the boat and all of the work getting done. I am also starting this thread to ask some questions and continue my research on anything I'm missing.

I thought I'd start by posting my proposed electronics selection, and then going from there. If you have any ideas or thoughts about my perceived system, please let me know. I am new to the world of marine outfitting.

Boat - 1999 Caliber 40 LRC
The only electronics the boat has installed are a B&G wind gauge and B&G network quad, which are outdated. The VHF is an Icom M-59. The boat doesn't have any refrigeration or windlass, so I have included these in the proposed outfit.

Here is what I have thought out so far:

Helm/Deck:
-Simrad NSS12
-Simrad IS20 depth/wind package
-Simrad AP24 autopilot
-Lewmar V3 windlass
-KISS-SSB grounding system
-Split Lead HF SSB antenna

Arch:
-Simrad 4G radar
-Simrad GS25 antenna
-Simrad WM-3 module

Below:
-Simrad Wifi-1 module
-Simrad NAIS-400
-ACR GlobalFix Pro
-Icom 604A VHF
-Icom M802 SSB
-Icom AT140 tuner
-SCS DR-7400 P4 Modem
-Isotherm 3751 SP ASU refrigeration

I'll explain a little bit regarding my choices. I understand B&G offers more sailing-focused equipment, however the sailing features of the B&G plotters are not really that important to me. The main thing for me is having a good detailed chart system at the helm with radar. As for the gauges, I have chosen the Simrad IS20's as they match the AP24 autopilot, and I prefer the analog wind display over a digital. The information provided by Triton gauges seems like overkill for myself. I just need a basic, solid depth gauge and wind display.

Some of the first questions I have are regarding the VHF/SSB antennas. Will the 604A need a separate antenna, or will I be able to use the existing antenna the boat has installed? Is the split lead antenna for the SSB a reasonable choice? I like the fact that I would not need to cut my backstay, and it seems like a pretty simple installation.

I am also trying to put together a battery bank/solar array for the above electronics. I will post that as soon as I put together more information. The arch/davits are part of the outfit so it is not already on the boat. Here is a photo of the cockpit/nav. station just to give some idea of the space:

David
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, electronics