Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2021, 05:04   #1

Survey in Barrie Ontario

Can anyone recommend a surveyor up in Barrie Ontario? Friend bought a 24 foot sailboat and I guess he needs one to be able to get a slip. Thanks
floater88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 05:16   #2

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: Survey in Barrie Ontario

He shouldn't need a survey to get a slip, but he probably will need one to get full coverage insurance. Even liability only insurance is beginning to ask for a survey these days
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 05:17   #3

He checked with Port Credits City run marina and they asked for a survey he tells me now. You can get only liability insurance?? Just like my cars! Awesome.
Old 15-03-2021, 05:28   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by floater88 View Post
He checked with Port Credits City run marina and they asked for a survey he tells me now. You can get only liability insurance?? Just like my cars! Awesome.
yes you can get liability only. I've been using it for a while as I rebuild and refit. When I'm done all the major work I'll get a survey and move to full coverage otherwise as things change on my boat constantly right now...

never had a problem with liability only. They just tend to want $2m coverage
Old 15-03-2021, 05:30   #5

Thanks for the info
Old 15-03-2021, 05:52   #6

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Port Credit marina requires a recent survey even if you curently have insurance.
Yes, I know, go figure...
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 06:05   #7

Boat: Grampian 26

I sail out of Whitby and the marina required liability for 2 million. I got it through Skipper's Plan no survey required on my Grampian 26.
Quote:
Nauticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 06:09   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticus View Post
I sail out of Whitby and the marina required liability for 2 million. I got it through Skipper's Plan no survey required on my Grampian 26.
I was on Skippers plan (liability only) until 2017 when they started requiring a survey on boats over 30ft of course they told me this in July before my renewal and wanted a wet survey (for now) followed by a survey at haul out... Switched to another insurer at that point

I used to be at Port Whitby Marina, now at WYC!
Old 15-03-2021, 09:17   #9
Marine Service Provider

Mike Downer lives in Barrie, he's good.

Paul Murphy lives in Penetang, also good.

I'm a broker in P'tang, I've used them both.
email me at piratenorm@gmail.com for their phone numbers.
Cheers
Piratenorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 09:17   #10

Boat: MacGregor 26S

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
I was on Skippers plan (liability only) until 2017 when they started requiring a survey on boats over 30ft of course they told me this in July before my renewal and wanted a wet survey (for now) followed by a survey at haul out... Switched to another insurer at that point

what is the other insurer if I may ask?
kazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 09:32   #11

We now have "Skipper's Plan" insurance, underwritten by AVIVA. Prior to that we had a different broker, but also underwritten by AVIVA. And at one point, maybe 5 years in, they required us to get a survey. On a 19' boat .

We've belonged to two yacht clubs, and neither required a survey, just proof of insurance.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 12:03   #12

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Many marinas in Ontario now requiring a survey AND liability insurance. The survey they require is quite basic...structurally sound (safe to lift with a crane, for example) and seaworthy (won't sink kinda stuff). IMHO, the fleet is getting old and they don't want to get stuck with a problem.

I know of a couple boats locally where the owner has passed away and it causes a lot of trouble for the marina. One boat sat at its finger dock well into December (most boats haul out in October). Finally the marina had to take responsibility for it, and no one to pay the costs, for a pretty much derelict boat.

There is another sailboat anchored in the Cataraqui River, just north of the Lasalle Causeway (Kingston) all this winter. It seems to have survived the ice, but the jib recently unfurled in a wind storm and is shredded. Looks like a ghost ship out there in the broken ice with long scraps of sailcloth flying from the fore stay.

I can understand the marinas using caution. The fleet is ageing, and so are the skippers.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 16:31   #13
Marine Service Provider

I know of a couple boats locally where the owner has passed away and it causes a lot of trouble for the marina. One boat sat at its finger dock well into December (most boats haul out in October). Finally the marina had to take responsibility for it, and no one to pay the costs, for a pretty much derelict boat.

There is another sailboat anchored in the Cataraqui River, just north of the Lasalle Causeway (Kingston) all this winter. It seems to have survived the ice, but the jib recently unfurled in a wind storm and is shredded. Looks like a ghost ship out there in the broken ice with long scraps of sailcloth flying from the fore stay.

I can understand the marinas using caution. The fleet is ageing, and so are the skippers.[/QUOTE]

I fully and completely understand this. As a broker, and very long time sailor, I know marinas are full of the Lost Soul Boats, usually tucked deep away in a corner. You know they are the result of an illness or a death, many inherited to survivors who don't know what to do with it, so it gets ignored, abandoned, unloved. I have been approached by many people who fall into this category. They're tired of paying bills to a marina for something they never wanted. By the time they've made the decision to involve me in many cases the boat has been ignored far too long, too much decay is present and nobody wants a project boat That badly. Free to a Good Home doesn't even work.

Every single time I stepped aboard my boat I greeted her with Hello Sweetheart, I'm home. When leaving I always said I'll see you soon. I believe boats have a soul and are a living breathing thing, to be loved and cared for. Believe me, it's easy to see when some of my sellers don't feel the same way.

It pains me to know about this old girl in the Cataraqui River who's fate seems doomed. I'm sure she was once loved.
Piratenorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 17:03   #14

Boat: Grampian 26

I'll keep an eye out for you. I've always got tasty beverages on board [emoji3][emoji482]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post

Nauticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 18:02   #15

Quote:
Can anyone recommend a surveyor up in Barrie Ontario? Friend bought a 24 foot sailboat and I guess he needs one to be able to get a slip. Thanks
If you are still looking for a Surveyor in Barrie, Ontario; contact Richard at 705-818-0425. Very knowledgable.
Last Waltz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ontario, survey