Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2019, 18:10   #1

monohull vs multihull observation

Yes, I know this conversation is a tired one. I've sailed on monohulls a few times in my life. My last sailing experience was as a student in a sailing course. From my limited and incomplete experience with sailing there's one thing I've noticed that I haven't heard in the monohull versus multihull debate. I was wondering what the thoughts of the people in the forum were on the matter. My impression with a monohull, especially an aft cockpit model, is that the sailing experience is more vivid. The sailing experience feels more real. One is closer to the water. There's the feeling of being more connected to the water and wind in an aft cockpit monohull than the raised center cockpit and even more so on a catamaran. Those boats give the feeling of being more cut off and removed from the elements. I've heard many people complain about being too close to the elements, especially when they get wet but from my perspective that almost adds to the appeal of it. I guess that's how I always thought sailing was like as a kid. I envisioned boats leaning at an almost impossible angle with water flying all over the place. Maybe it's an opinion based on the novelty of it for me but being connected to the elements is what sailing is all about. If it wasn't we'd all be on power boats. Again, I have virtually no experience in the matter. It's just a casual observation. Was wondering if that cut off feeling on a catamaran is a real thing with other people.
Midtownsails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 18:23   #2

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: monohull vs multihull observation

You really need to get yourself a monohull.

Don't even think about a catamaran.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 18:35   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

I think it's more a size thing, racing on a small catamaran you VERY much don't feel cut off, quite the opposite! The bigger monos also tend to diminish the 'feel' of sailing a bit.

Although in a super crappy blow, with a confused wave train and spray everywhere this is probably a good thing to most people! (myself included)
Old 29-07-2019, 18:52   #4

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Also depends on what kind of sailing you’re planning. On little boats sailing for a few hours wind, spray, cold may be exhilarating but if your out there for days, being that close to the elements gets old quite fast.

You sound like a day sailor (at least for now) and the ”close to it” element may add to your enjoyment.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 19:19   #5

Boat: 2019 Lagoon 42

You really need to get yourself a catamaran.

Don’t even think about a monohull.
BobL1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 19:22   #6

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Very much agree with the "sailing experience" thing. But it's not necessary to get wet. If it's raining horizontally or really blowing spray everywhere then you're under the sprayhood most of the time (or going in a different direction). Otherwise I'd much rather be at the back than in my old centre cockpit. The extreme for a monohull is probably the Amel Super Maramu, where I don't feel it's much like sailing at all -- more like watching someone else sail.

Well sailed monohulls don't lean at "impossible angles", unless they are serious racing boats. That's just one with too much sail set wrongly.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 08:36   #7

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Get a performance trimaran if you really want to set a high bar; if that’s the feeling you want, you’ll never buy a cat or mono.
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 08:48   #8

Boat: Catalina 470

I have a 47 ft mono but would prefer a large cat for live aboard cruising, yet when a largish mono is in its groove, balanced well and sailing forward of the beam it's a great feeling, I haven't experienced that on a cat. When rolling for 1000nm ddw give me the cat anyday.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 08:50   #9

Boat: Cape Dory, Cutter,30

If you want a hotel with a big bed, get a Cat. If you want to be a sailor, only a monohull will do.
moctrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 09:01   #10

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

You can get wet on a cat too in heavy weather... you feel the elements too, but differently and usually do not fall out of bed when sailing on a passage.

Btw, monohulls tend to have much larger master cabins than catamarans. So hotel applies to a mono more than to a cat, cats are a more complete condo and living space is above the waterline and not in the dungeon.
Old 30-07-2019, 09:02   #11

Boat: 2019 Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by moctrams View Post
If you want a hotel with a big bed, get a Cat. If you want to be a sailor, only a monohull will do.
Ahh, this good old comment again. Only a sailor if you have a monohull.... when will you monohullers give up on this? Have you ever been on a catamaran or just don’t like them because you don’t have one or never experienced one?
BobL1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 10:00   #12

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL1981 View Post
Ahh, this good old comment again. Only a sailor if you have a monohull.... when will you monohullers give up on this? Have you ever been on a catamaran or just don’t like them because you don’t have one or never experienced one?
;-)
Why carry tons of ballast?
Why roll left, roll right all night for your entire journey?
Why live on crackers bcs you can't cook?
Fly on a Tri, Farrier or the like, if you want to sail fast

Btw, I am cat-sailor ;-)
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 10:28   #13

Boat: Bristol 27

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 10:49   #14

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

I built a steel schooner with the romantic idea of standing at the wheel towards the stern, wind and spray blowing in my face. After launching I soon was looking for shade, any shade, any place to get out of the sun. I was roasting. It was then I fell in love with the idea of a catamaran. End of story.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 11:24   #15

We have a friend, a monohull sailor, who does mostly daysailing, a few overnight passages and a charter in the Caribbean during the winter. We have owned two catamarans, and still own one of them that he has sailed with us for short periods in different parts of the world and we have done many ocean crossings and years of living aboard. We have gone on Caribbean charters with him, though he always insists on a monohull. "Don't you like the feeling of the boat heeling to the wind and going over the waves?" he always asks.
My wife and I chorus, "there is nothing about rolling and heeling that we like."
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass, hull, monohull, multihull