Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2024, 11:31   #16

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Looking for sécond hand sails

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouK View Post
Another recommendation for Bacon Sails!
I found new sails at Sail Warehouse close to the Bacon Sails prices for their used sails.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2024, 11:45   #17

Boat: Catalina 30

That is a big sail. Not exactly a Catalina 27. I would think there are a limited number of this size of sail put up for sale as used.

I spent some time looking for used sails and found what was available was overpriced for what it was (very used). New sails were a better choice for me.
GSpencerCat30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2024, 13:29   #18

Boat: Fuji 32

I'll add my voice to the endorsements of Bacon, but Thomm255 has it right. Sail Warehouse (with whom I have had good experiences) is quite reasonable.

I will say that, when dealing with a business that deals in used sails, there is no such thing as a bargain. They know exactly what the sail is worth and price it according to the percentage of its useful life remaining.

Please don't interpret this as me saying not to buy used sails. But, it's not like buying a car that loses value as soon as it drives off the lot. It the sail has 75% of it's useful life left, expect to pay 75% of what the sail costs brand new. And, most don't deal in sails that would have been inexpensive when brand new.

In other words, if you deal with someone reputable, like Bacon, you can expect to get what you pay for and nothing more (but nothing less).

If you get lucky enough to find a private party selling the sail you need, and you can competently evaluate the condition of the sail, you can get a good deal. But, unless you are looking for a really common size and configuration, that's a long shot.

Tangentially, I recently bought a Sailrite LSZ sewing machine with the intent to take on a bunch of projects (upholstery, canvas, etc.) One project was a riding sail, and I am pretty happy with the results. I definitely did a better job than I would have gotten from an inexpensive loft. Made me confident I could make a larger sail. The new boat will need a new jigger before long, so ...

But, my point is that, even with my own machine, I won't really save much money by doing it myself - not if I value my time above minimum wage. So, again, I don't think there is such thing as a bargain, when it comes to sails.
Foswick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2024, 13:41   #19

Boat: Fuji 32

Just out of curiousity, I looked this up on Bacon's site. It looks like they have some options that might work for you. There is a main sail that might be just what you need for $1800 USD, with about half its working life left.

Also, if they don't have exactly what you need, contact them and tell them your requirements and budget. They'll take care of you.
Foswick is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sails