Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-03-2022, 10:37   #1

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Reasonably safe Crypto funds when traveling.

I had a thread which was destined to figure out how to cross from Europe to South America as a contingency plan.
It turned political but that was not the intention.

To all who commented on the subject, thank you for the replies.

As ai mentioned in there also how to deal with European funds if they are stored on Coinbase in €
I wanted to still add the solution I decided to take for some of them. This is the sole purpose of this thread.
Add that missing bit of info for others looking into this.

I was only looking at the aspect of how to get away in the worst case. Gladly I got a suitable suggestion as to where to head then too.

Regarding Crypto funds and Coinbase, they sent me a reply as to how the Coinbase Fiat (="real" non Crypto money) funds are insured in the US. No mention of funds in European Coinbase accounts as of yet.

If I receive a reply to that from Coinbase I let you know.

After a little research I opted for USD Coin, which in essence is a Crypto coin which, as a so called stablecoin, is directly linked to the $. So it does not fluctuate as much as Bitcoin or similar. 1USDC = 1$

As a special type of Cryptocoin this is now stored on a very secure type of wallet.
Something you can't do with real cash.

All based on the assumption that all the mess stays somehow predominantly in Europe and does not affect the US Dollar terribly.
To swap the USDC into US cash should be possible about everywhere worldwide and pretty much fairly quick.

Also exchanging this back into Crypto is easy and the transaction fees are near zero.
Probably even a lot cheaper to send money internationally this way than with banks.

It's as close to a digital $ as it gets.

Hope that helps someone else too.

Tags
fun