Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-04-2017, 22:06   #1

Boat: 1984 Moody 27
Virginia to NW FLorida

I'm planning a trip from just North of Norfolk Virginia to NW Florida the first week of June. I'm hating it because it's the first week of hurricane season. However I've got a window when school will be out and I can go taking my younger son (11) with me to return my 27' sailboat.

This just seems like a very long trip and I'm planning to take at least 30 days if not longer to make it. I know there is the ICW for much of the trip, but I'm hoping to get outside a little South of the Capes.

Does anyone have suggestions, warnings, or information that can help make this as pleasant a trip as possible? I'm a Gulf Coast guy so I know very little about the Atlantic side of things. I've seen the Atlantic a time or two, but not from the water.

I've got all the usual stuff, stove, oven, VHF, HF, 16 gal fresh water, 18 gallons diesel, 18hp inboard, the typical safety gear required. I'm looking for a good source for charts and things I might want to do (with the kiddo) on the trip. Also...What the heck can I do to keep him occupied and not bored out of his mind. I planned to take along some games to play(non-electronic) and plenty of good music.

I'd love to hear how you guys would prepare for the trip and save myself a lot of hard learned lessons. Links to other threads that are similar are appreciated too.

I'd especially like to hear from those who've made this trip already and can share the wealth of knowledge. Thanks in advance.
Seeking Solace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida