Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2017, 03:57   #1

South-atlantic selfsteering - attention to scam

Be careful! South-atlantic is not an honest company. I have given an advance of € 680 and the rudder was never produced. When I asked for the money back, the two partners have blamed each other ... But they have not returned me the money! I sued them for fraud, but I lost € 680. Choose other companies !!!
mucisca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:10   #2

Boat: Nassau 34
Re: South-atlantic selfsteering - attention to scam

Really, something's wrong here, ordered mine last year, paid for it and got. Had no problem with them.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:13   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

So Mucsica, did you order through the German or Argentina office? Who did you speak to there. Why did you loose the court case? How long ago was this, you asked back in January about a second hand one, so was this order after that?

Oh and please stop flooding the forums with the same post, we get the message and repeating it doesn't do anything useful.

Peter
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:07   #4

I'm sorry. But I had an awful experience with South-Atlant Selfsteering. I wanted to buy the S440 model. Who takes care of it all is just a man named Thomas. This individual, who does not know where he lives, respond to mail and receives the money to realize the helm. Before a deposit, when the rudder is ready, the balance. But finite limits granted for the construction of the rudder, this gentleman disappears. I write every day for almost a month, I try to call, I also find his family, his friends, but no one knows anything. They tell me that he's around by boat. Then he shows up and tells me that he is out of bussines, who does not know what happened to my money and gave my money to another that has become his partner temporarily. Contact her by the name of Guido partner (only speaks German) and tells me he knows nothing about Thomas, knows nothing of my rudder and knows nothing of my money. Then I insist with Thomas, I want my money back (€ 680). I do not want more than their helm. But he says that I have to pay what remains, 1020 €. I answer: Who should I pay ??? Why should I pay even if no one has built the rudder and his partner knows nothing ??. Thomas then sends me to hell and I lose my money. I saved all the mails. So I could quote Thomas and suoth-atlantic for fraud. Now the police are doing the investigation to track down this man.
South Atlantic does not exist in Argentina, it is only an email contact with an acquaintance of Thomas. What matters is only the reference to Germany.
Now Thomas has modified the south-atlantic website. He writes that it is the contact person in Argentina, but as I said, in Argentina there is nothing
A tip, forget South-atlantic and contact other companies. They are bunglers and swindlers.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:10   #5

Now I bought a used tiller. I must go on with my projects
Old 03-03-2017, 06:12   #6

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mucisca View Post
Be careful! South-atlantic is not an honest company. I have given an advance of € 680 and the rudder was never produced. When I asked for the money back, the two partners have blamed each other ... But they have not returned me the money! I sued them for fraud, but I lost € 680. Choose other companies !!!
Hi ! I bought not 1 but 2 South Atlantic S440. The first one ,in 2012, was delivered to Oak Harbor marina on the Chesapeake, directly from Germany. The second, in 2014, was delivered at Bock Marine, Beaufort (NC) before my single handed passage to St-Martin FWI. Both arrived in time. But before the second arrived, I purchased a second hand Hydrovane self steering from a Quebec sailor who was giving up offshore sailing. Hydrovane are better for fin keeled sailboats (Stand alone rudder) while South Atlantic are very good for long or full keeled sailboats. But new Hydrovane are far too expensive for me ($6000 + shipping!); I got mine, second hand for $2000 I see that South Atlantic has a South American dealer but I always ordered directly in Germany. Good Luck !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SouthAtlantic1.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	142346   Click image for larger version

Name:	SouthAtlantic2.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	142347  

Name:	Hydrovane.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	142348   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chessa3-S440.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	142349  

ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:20   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

The South Atlantic looks quite neat and very similar to the Neptune windvane. Don't know how they compare on price but the Neptune is circa £1700 depending on model. Oh and they have a proper address.

No connection but I have been watching the videos pondering.

Prices For Neptune Windvane Self Steering Yacht System UK
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:06   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mucisca View Post
I'm sorry. ... Contact her by the name of Guido partner (only speaks German) and tells me he knows nothing about Thomas, knows nothing of my rudder and knows nothing of my money. Then I insist with Thomas, I want my money back (€ 680). I do not want more than their helm. But he says that I have to pay what remains, 1020 €. I answer: Who should I pay ??? Why should I pay even if no one has built the rudder and his partner knows nothing ? ...A tip, forget South-atlantic and contact other companies. They are bunglers and swindlers.
As I told you, I ordered my 2 South Atlantic S440 directly from Germany & exchange emails only with Thomas <south.atlantic.windvane@gmail.com> or <contact@south-atlantic.com.ar> & got my 2 S 440 in perfect condition
NEXT TIME USE PAYPAL as they offer a refund waranty in case of non delivery.
PS 1: I'm prety sure your "Thomas" is not the gentleman from the German company.
How did you send the downpayment ?
What kind of down payment proof do you have ?
PS 2: The South Atlantic S440 is really easy to install: Only four bolts, two blocks & lines ! On my first offshore sailboat, a Camper & Nicholson 31, I installed an Aries using the same principle, but I think, the builder passed away. I'm sure you can find a second hand Aries as they last forever... After 3 years of continuous sailing (From England to Vancouver) I dismantle mine to clean the delrin bearings & from then on it was good as new; I sold my C&N in Vancouver where the new owner sailed it with his wife all the way to New Zealand & back using the same Aries. I'm pretty sure the S440 is as good as it is simple & sturdy

"Hello Alain, The Paypal address is: contact@south-atlantic. com.ar The total including shipment for the S 440 + the wheel adaptor is 2032 EUR. Paypal 400 EUR, that will be ok. To install it you will need just few hours, what could be good is that you take a time to test it before your trip. It is very easy to use but "it is no so easy to understand simple things". May be you have some questions and I can make you save time. Have a nice Sunday, Regards, Thomas"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	QueneahGwen_05.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	142357  
Old 03-03-2017, 12:40   #9

Now I bought a windvane Neptune used. I contacted the Neptune company for spare parts. They are friendly and fast were in the shipment. It is similar to Windpilot Pacific. Also it can close perfectly into two parts. Shame not to have discovered it before being cheated from south-atlantic
Old 04-03-2017, 14:20   #10

Good for you Alan. I did not say that Thomas does not build Rudders wind, I said that Thomas cheated me. Even Hitler donated salt or a liter of milk to one of his neighbor, this does not make him a saint. Thomas has now changed address on the website. Thomas is no longer the referent in Europe (Germany), but in Argentina. Germany's Guido Bresse. Guido just speaks German, not responding to email, but answers the phone making an appointment via sms. These people is best to close the business. These people is better than going for a real job, so understands the value of money and the seriousness in providing a service.
Old 04-03-2017, 15:19   #11

I:
day January 16, 2017, at 15:38:

Hello Tomas,
It is not easy to get in touch with you, but no one responds to emails?
I need to know if you will be on time in the windvane delivery and the respective adapter. The delivery is for end January, okay? You'll make it? I need to organize myself, so let me know, do not miss him so much ...
Vincenzo

Thomas:
Hello Vincenzo,

The name of who is in charge is Guido Bresse the address is Engerstr 47, 33824 Werther
(the same address).
He speak only German.
I am trying to contact him but until now it was not possible.

I:
Hello Thomas, this thing is very stressful. No one answers.
Like you, your co-worker does not answer. Each with their own affairs.
As if to answer is a kindness you do for me. But you are not interested in selling?
I have two clients who are interested in buying the South Atlantic, but I said to wait to see what happens with my S440

I wait for my S440 + adapter. As we took written agreements.
Vincenzo

Thomas:
Sir,
You buy something and you did not pay for what you bought.
I have no idea what Bresse did or did not. I am out of business until October..
By the way Bresse is also on the web as the European production manager.
Before this man end his administration he have to do something.
I am in a sabbatical

South Atlantic
... make life aboard easier

I: If you out of bussines, why have you responded to my mail to have the helm? Why you took my money on your account? Because you’re a bungler!

Thomas:
Pay PAY pay and you will get the bill.
> Ask the manager for that I΄m out of bussiness.
> As I try to say in a political way, you are a cvrazy idiot that try to have something with out paying for it..
> As Bresse, let me in peace .
> Last mail.

--------------------------------------------------------------

This is just a small part of all email.
Thomas makes his boat projects even with my pocket money. Guido do not understand what it does. German police have told me that the address of the website, is not officially no company South-atlantic.
You do your reflections, my have cost € 680. Money earned by honest work.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:33   #12

Hi... again:

I paid a downpayment with order & FULL balance BEFORE my S440 was sent.
That's the way I did, always via Paypal & I did get my 2 South Atlantic S440 on time... What I really like with my S440 is that only 4 x 12mm SS bolts did the trick ! Couldn't be simpler.

1) How did you pay your downpayment ?

2) Did you expect SA to ship your order BEFORE getting full payment ? You're dreaming !

Good luck with your Neptune, they look very well built also.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SouthAtlanticS440.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	142504  
Old 05-03-2017, 13:34   #13

Hello Alain.
I think you've got it.
1 As you have done, I paid the down payment
2 I expected it to be ready to pay for all the rudder
3 Thomas did not prepare anything. Thomas is by boat left for his business
4 Thomas confusedly appointed his partner Guido. Guido person who only speaks German and very little use the computer and the phone. But Guido's for sure, has not received money from Thomas nor the request to make a rudder.
5 Thomas says his partner is a bastard. Thomas says he's out of bussines, but took my money in his personal bank account.
6 After several emails, she tells me that if I pay everything I get the helm.

Who should I pay? Thomas? Alain, but did you realize that you went away from Garmania? You have realized that it is in the sea by boat? Who should build the helm? Thomas? On a boat? O Guido with no money? Maybe I have to give a deposit also to Guido? I am 20 years that I do rigging, I bought tens of thousands of euro in the material. Thomas is a bungler, and since there gave me the down payment, it is also a thief and a crook
Old 05-03-2017, 13:41   #14

I bought a windvane Neptune used by a client of mine. With this the helm six years ago he has been around the world rounding Cape Horn.
I did not know him, but I find it very simple and functional. To be mounted with 4 bolts and unlike South-atlantic closes perfectly into two parts
Old 05-03-2017, 13:44   #15

Now I bought small parts of Neptune. They were quick and polite. Try to order a spare part to Thomas. Best wishes!

Tags
steering