Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2012, 06:40   #1

New iPad GPS?

Does anyone know if the new iPad will have true GPS? Can I use an iPad wi-fi only model offshore where there is no wi-fi, or do I have to have the 4G model and if so does it actually pick up from the satellites? The specs say assisted GPS???

Or, is there an external GPS device that will plug into the iPad?
Thanks.
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:28   #2

Boat: ex-Tartan 40
Re: New iPad GPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcobra View Post
Does anyone know if the new iPad will have true GPS? Can I use an iPad wi-fi only model offshore where there is no wi-fi, or do I have to have the 4G model and if so does it actually pick up from the satellites? The specs say assisted GPS???

Or, is there an external GPS device that will plug into the iPad?
Thanks.
Here are the technical specs for the new iPad:
Apple - The new iPad - View all the technical specifications.

It looks like the GPS setup is unchanged from the iPad2. That is:
  1. The wifi only model does not include GPS, but it will connect to an external GPS. Several earlier threads give specifics.
  2. The 4G models include GPS. The "assisted" part refers to the use of the cell connection to make the localization quicker. However, access to a cell signal is not required. The built in GPS will work fine offshore on its own.
There is no need to purchase a cellular service in order to use the GPS on the 3G/4G models. If the plan is to use the iPad for navigation, the built-in GPS is the way to go. (IMHO)

Since I have the original iPad, I'm planning to stay as far away as possible from one of the new ones. I've read that the new screens are irresistible. Must get one more year from the old standby.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:02   #3

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

I have been using my I-Phone 3G for a couple of years and find it as accurate as my on board GPS. It is difficult to see in direct sunlight or from any distance but other than that, I'm amazed at what it can do with the Navex program. I will probably get an I-Pad sooner than later.
Amazing electronics we have these days!!
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:02   #4

Boat: Pilgrim 40
Send a message via Yahoo to nitpik Send a message via Skype™ to nitpik

It is unfortunate that Apple used the term "assisted GPS". It seems to confuse a lot of people.
The iPad (1,2 and 3) have a FULLY FUNCTIONAL GPS, and it works extremely well!
As stated above, the "assisted" part refers to it's ability to use the cellular towers for a quicker initial fix, in some locations.
I use iPad 1 to navigate offshore, with NO 3G service plan at all, and outside of WiFi reception.
You DO need to purchase the WiFi + 3G/4G version in order to navigate with it, since the WiFi only unit does not have a GPS.

I am wondering about one thing, however. The Apple website says that both the WiFi only version, and the 4G version will geotag your photos. How can the WiFi only version do this without a GPS?
Old 08-03-2012, 08:08   #5

Boat: Catalina 34

I think the goetagging is done using WiFi signals, much the same as the "Find My Friend" app does to locate Apple devices with location services turned on.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:14   #6

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

redcobra,

Yes, you will need the iPad with WiFi + 3G/4G version in order to navigate with GPS.
Used our iPad2 just last week in the British Virgin Islands for a 10 day sail.

We use Memory-Map Navigator $19
We mount it using a Ram Mount
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iPad_at Helm.jpg
Views:	1109
Size:	400.9 KB
ID:	38471  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:24   #7

You can get the wi-fi only version and buy an external gps receiver for under $100 and mount it anywhere since it is wireless and works off the Bluetooth.
LostAtSea2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:13   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAtSea2011 View Post
You can get the wi-fi only version and buy an external gps receiver for under $100 and mount it anywhere since it is wireless and works off the Bluetooth.
That will certainly work, but consider how you're going to use the iPad before deciding. I use mine for land navigation as well as on the water. An external GPS would be a PITA for carrying back and forth. If you're going to use the iPad for email along the coast, the cellular network is nice to have. Lots of times we're in locations with good 3G, but no wifi. Since the data plans are monthly with no commitment, it's easy to turn them on and off depending on your need.

With a price difference of only $130 and a reasonable expectation that you'll get back more than $30 difference on resale with the 4G capability, I don't see a lot of upside to buying the external GPS and a wifi only iPad. YMMV

Old 08-03-2012, 11:15   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Agree, get the 4G model with GPS and 3G/4G connectivity. Unfortunately Apple (or it's resellers) have not a good job letting customers know only the 3G/4G model has an internal GPS receiver. I think had they, they would have sold many more of them.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:38   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
There is a small plug in GPS also, works well on my iPad2 wifi model

It's called the "Bad Elf" for some reason

http://www.badelf.com
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 23:57   #11
NDH

Boat: Dufour 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartansail View Post
I use mine for land navigation as well as on the water.
What is the battery life when using it for navigation. (I have often found with laptops that manufacturers claims are unrealistic)

Thanks
NDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:59   #12

The muppets at Apple have really dropped the ball. I was looking at getting the new iPad but then discovered that the 4G is only compatible with 4G in the US. The 4G will not work with the frequencies in Australia, Europe and probably anywhere else. In spite of this, it is scheduled for release in Australia, UK and others on the same date as the US and I believe Sweden and I guess many other small EU countries a week or two later.

I'm not fussed about the wifi only lacking a GPS but if I am going to pay extra for 4G then I want it to work day one (assuming it was a software upgrade that will come later)

Seriously how hard was it for Apple to find out that 4G differs.

I like my iPad but a Samsung with Ice Cream Sandwich is looking more and more delicious
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:05   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDH View Post
What is the battery life when using it for navigation. (I have often found with laptops that manufacturers claims are unrealistic)

Thanks
I don't routinely drain the battery down all the way so perhaps others can give you their numbers. Also, I have the original iPad. My wife has the iPad2 and our experience is similar. The new iPad has a higher resolution screen, but also seems to have a larger battery. I wouldn't take the earlier versions as predictive of the new iPad's battery life until some of the testers get to do their thing.

OK, those caveats aside, the next issue is how you use it. We don't keep the display lit at all times. Depending on our needs, it sits on one of the settees or up under the dodger. It is open to iNavX, but goes into sleep mode with the cover shut. Sometimes I've got it open for an hour straight. Sometimes, it's just a few minutes and then it's back on the settee. I also have a 3G service and am checking email and CF multiple times during the course of the day. I may fire off an Angry Bird or two while winding down at the end of the day. With that type of use, I put it on a 12 volt charger at night. It's usually 60-80% charged when I plug it in. If I had it on all the time and mounted at the helm the way Cotemar does, I might add a local power supply just because I prefer keeping batteries topped up.

My overriding observation is that I don't worry about the batteries the way I always do with my laptop. Therefore, the laptop doesn't go to the boat anymore.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:51   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSNavX View Post
Agree, get the 4G model with GPS and 3G/4G connectivity. Unfortunately Apple (or it's resellers) have not a good job letting customers know only the 3G/4G model has an internal GPS receiver. I think had they, they would have sold many more of them.
Not being involved with computer or ipad navigation, my question is: are the nautical charts included on a new ipad or does one download a certain raster or vector chart set to accomplish the navigation?? It sounds to me like a new ipad may be an excellent backup for my Garmin chartplotter, as well as having all of the other features an ipad offers. Apologies in advance for a silly question.
Noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:22   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaduction View Post
Not being involved with computer or ipad navigation, my question is: are the nautical charts included on a new ipad or does one download a certain raster or vector chart set to accomplish the navigation?? It sounds to me like a new ipad may be an excellent backup for my Garmin chartplotter, as well as having all of the other features an ipad offers. Apologies in advance for a silly question.
There are threads that cover several of the options if you want more background. The short(ish) answer is that you need to download a navigation app and associated charts. The good news is that the prices for the apps are reasonable and the functionality is constantly improving. The best choice of apps and charts may vary by locale. I have been very happy with iNavX with Navionics vector charts for the Northeast US. iNavX can also use NOAA raster charts which are free. The Navionics charts are licensed separately. There is also a Navionics app which I have not used. Others can give you a review. You've already heard from GPSNavX, the developer of iNavX. He tracks these threads and has provided very helpful and direct responses to questions and issues as they arise. (I'm just a satisfied customer. No inducements.)

I initially planned to use the iPad as a backup to my four year old Raymarine MFD. I now find that I do all my route planning and tracking on the iPad and primarily use the MFD for radar and a real time look at the current environs.

Tags
gps, Ipad