Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2011, 14:35   #1

Boat: a sailing boat
GPS, From China, With Love

Looks like China is on the right track to become the third GPSuperpower:

China Activates Homegrown GPS System | China & Beidou Satellites | GPS & Satellite Navigation | Space.com

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 14:50   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: GPS, From China, With Love

we better all start learning chinese then......
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 14:56   #3

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

I for one welcome our new Chinese Overlords

Old 28-12-2011, 15:03   #4

Interesting. I read once that the first move China would make in a war would be to destroy the US GPS and communications sattelite network. And now they have their own....
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 15:08   #5

Boat: Morgan Classic 41

Is it just me, or does the picture of the "enemy" in the first picture look a lot like the US Capital Building? I hope these aren't present day banners....didn't know we were "at war" with China. (plus they are holding a lot of our debt.... what, me worry?)
mjwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 15:10   #6
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Interesting. I read once that the first move China would make in a war would be to destroy the US GPS and communications sattelite network. And now they have their own....

Nah, the first step will be to stop sending us Xmas .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 15:17   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

you may not have to develope a taste for noodels quite so soon........

quote frank reed,space.com top commentator

Beidou is in test mode. It is not "operational" except to the extent that an official press release declares it so. You cannot today go to a store (in China or anywhere else) and purchase a Beidou receiver. Unfortunately, there is a clear trend here on space.com: any press release out of China is simply regurgitated. This is not journalism.

Richard Langley, one of the world's leading experts on navigation systems, wrote an interesting article today for "GPS World" describing the Chinese press conference and noting the shocking lack of information presented there. Regarding the official documentation released to the industry by the Chinese, he notes, "There is no discussion whatsoever of the details of the navigation message or associated algorithms." Without this MOST BASIC information, any claims that the Beidou system is operational are wild exaggeration or fraud. Very likely a Chinese government mandate required this announcement, true or false, before the end of this month.
Old 28-12-2011, 15:22   #8
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll
you may not have to develope a taste for noodels quite so soon........

quote frank reed,space.com top commentator

Beidou is in test mode. It is not "operational" except to the extent that an official press release declares it so. You cannot today go to a store (in China or anywhere else) and purchase a Beidou receiver. Unfortunately, there is a clear trend here on space.com: any press release out of China is simply regurgitated. This is not journalism.

Richard Langley, one of the world's leading experts on navigation systems, wrote an interesting article today for "GPS World" describing the Chinese press conference and noting the shocking lack of information presented there. Regarding the official documentation released to the industry by the Chinese, he notes, "There is no discussion whatsoever of the details of the navigation message or associated algorithms." Without this MOST BASIC information, any claims that the Beidou system is operational are wild exaggeration or fraud. Very likely a Chinese government mandate required this announcement, true or false, before the end of this month.
That as well it may be, but you don't seriously doubt that the Chinese will do it and probably very fast too.
Dave
Old 28-12-2011, 15:28   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
That as well it may be, but you don't seriously doubt that the Chinese will do it and probably very fast too.
Dave
if you look at the rate the chinese are aqquiring mineral consessions globally,we better all aquire a taste for chinese food..............as least our teenage kids...........
Old 28-12-2011, 15:33   #10
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
if you look at the rate the chinese are aqquiring mineral consessions globally,we better all aquire a taste for chinese food..............as least our teenage kids...........
The Chinese have just acquired oil rights.........in Afghanistan.

BBC News - China gets approval for Afghanistan oil exploration bid

I always found it kinda strange that the Chinese were never involved in the Afghan stuff and that no one in the West made noises for them to do so. Well, they are involved now! - my guess is that they will adopt the same approach they use over the shared border, making sure the right locals get looked after ($$$) and not being afraid to commit a few war crimes.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 15:39   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

i heard they also are aquired rocna anchors,.........i think there may be a conspiricy going on here,................
Old 28-12-2011, 16:07   #12

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwarner View Post
Is it just me, or does the picture of the "enemy" in the first picture look a lot like the US Capital Building?
I hope these aren't present day banners....didn't know we were "at war" with China.
It was a silent war and china is the victor
You see, they have played the "long game" against capitalism for centuries.

More familiar imagery

Quote:
(plus they are holding a lot of our debt.... what, me worry?)
Sounds like they do own you.
Resistance is futile.
Old 28-12-2011, 16:10   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwarner View Post
Is it just me, or does the picture of the "enemy" in the first picture look a lot like the US Capital Building? I hope these aren't present day banners....didn't know we were "at war" with China. (plus they are holding a lot of our debt.... what, me worry?)
The posters are from a remake of Red Dawn, showing a Chinese invasion rather than a Soviet one (the theme of the 1984 original).

Red Dawn (2012 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I loved the 1984 Red Dawn and can't wait to see this one!

Wolverines!!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 14:45   #14

I figure any war they will knock out GPS. I better learn to navigate by the stars So at least if you are out to sea and all GPS goes down you don't need to be in a hurry to get to land. I will just go ind an island with pigs. fish, pork and some fruit I can just relax and let it all settle down. Then figure out which Rosetta Stone I need. No worries.

One of my degrees is Political Science. I used to love well still love to take the opposite side of whatever view someone holds and get them all upset. Then let them know that I only get one vote and it really does not matter anyway. Sometimes I say switch and they look at me. I tell them we need to switch sides because I could make much better arguements for their side than they can. It comes down to me not liking any politician or system. But political stability is good. When there is not a stable political system I don't want to be there. Even China just do not say anything against the State and you are good to go.

Comer, Mujer, y Cerveza no mas.
3dubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 15:26   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dubs View Post
I figure any war they will knock out GPS. I better learn to navigate by the stars So at least if you are out to sea and all GPS goes down you don't need to be in a hurry to get to land. I will just go ind an island with pigs. fish, pork and some fruit I can just relax and let it all settle down. Then figure out which Rosetta Stone I need. No worries.

One of my degrees is Political Science. I used to love well still love to take the opposite side of whatever view someone holds and get them all upset. Then let them know that I only get one vote and it really does not matter anyway. Sometimes I say switch and they look at me. I tell them we need to switch sides because I could make much better arguements for their side than they can. It comes down to me not liking any politician or system. But political stability is good. When there is not a stable political system I don't want to be there. Even China just do not say anything against the State and you are good to go.

Comer, Mujer, y Cerveza no mas.

guess ya never finished that degree,keep on taking the tablets..........

Tags
China, gps