Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2015, 08:41   #1

Yacht Thruster....Exturn

I'm considering adding this external unit to my Beneteau 440 Oceanus. Between davits and all the weight docking under close conditions with wind is very problematic.
I'm a bit Leary about the external nature of this item.
Does anyone have experience with this or similar models and can offer some insight.
svinvictus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 08:49   #2

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Yacht Thruster....Exturn

I installed the most powerfull 24V model 3 years ago on my Hunter38. Have not had any particular problems with it. Just managed to pick up a net with hard plastic floaters. When using the thruster it lost all 3 blades of the prop, the hard plastic floaters won :-(.
It is easy enough to replace the prop, can be done in the water.

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Tapatalk
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 17:08   #3

Boat: Valiant 50
Re: Yacht Thruster....Exturn

I'm considering one of these also. And very keen to hear opinions of it.

Invictus.. Did you end up getting one?
Old 27-05-2016, 16:55   #4

Boat: Horstman 38 Trimaran

Yes we installed the mid size 12 volt model last year and the Yacht Thruster has worked well on our 38 foot Trimaran in the Puget Sound. We had real trouble maneuvering in marina's until we added it and now it is easy. I have a picture of it installed as one of my pictures. We would give it 5 out of 5 stars.
Puget Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:41   #5

Wondering if anyone who installed one of these units previously could offer any updates. How long have you had it, is it still working, any problems, how did Yacht Thrusters handle your issue?
Thanks!
Galliob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 15:38   #6

I had the largest 12 volt model installed on a 46' sailboat in 2014 as a stern thruster (I know....overkill). Turns out I went too small. My boat is very heavy and it takes a lot to move the stern due to the rudder, etc. It wouldn't move the stern against high wind which is when I wanted it. Last year I replaced it with the largest 24 volt one and it works great! It really moves the boat. It doesn't add any noticeable drag and uses much less current than my tunnel mount bow thruster.

I still have the 12 volt model in storage (very low use). I would make someone a good deal on it. PM me. I think it is good for maybe up to a 40' boat as a bow thruster (check Yacht Thruster web site) You would have to get a joystick and control box from Yacht Thruster. BTW, they are great to work with. They are NOT the ones that sold me the first one that was clearly too small...
TimH1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2017, 06:22   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, TimH.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht