Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2017, 13:37   #31

Re: Boat Bikes -- Some Observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
One advantage of Sedna's center cockpit is having room on the aft deck to store my standard size Gary Fisher hard-tail Mtn Bike sans front wheel. I made a deck clamp for the front forks.
I would shoot my wifey if she left my ( now her ! ). Gary fisher sugar 3 classic full sus ( manitou / cane creek ) mtb out in the salty conditions !!!
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 14:18   #32

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
One advantage of Sedna's center cockpit is having room on the aft deck to store my standard size Gary Fisher hard-tail Mtn Bike sans front wheel. I made a deck clamp for the front forks.
I've considered putting a biketight clamp on one of my aft lazarette lids for the same location. But I also want to bag my bike to keep it from the direct elements. Envision the bottom of the front fork being the only thing out of the bag.
Old 18-06-2017, 23:18   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
.....LOL - catch any big fish recently?
most "middle aged guy in average physical condition" cruisers could not finish a 50 mile ride. And most of those that can would not say no sweat. And 12 or 13 mph would be a pretty damn good average speed on a flat course. I ride 20-30 miles every day (actually 6 days/week), on a good carbon racing bike, and 50 is still not in the 'no problem' category in my book.
If 50 miles is not "no problem" for you -- on a carbon racing bike! -- you should ride with me sometime. Riding style greatly affects how far you can go, without getting tired. I suspect you are riding anaerobically, for maximum exercise. Riding for pleasure and distance is very different, and I guess riding with me would be frustratingly slow for you.

When I was a student, I rode across the Alps from Germany and into Yugoslavia -- with full panniers and tent. You learn to knock out the miles by working the gears intensely and maintaining the exact pace which your body can do in aerobic mode, "spinning" and never ever "pushing" as we called it. Other than in the mountains (of course), 100 miles -- 150 - 160 km -- was a fairly common day. 12 or 13 hours of riding at 8 or 9 mph. I rode all over Europe that year with a friend (who went on to be a semi-well known racer), and our normative day was 120km (75 miles) for planning purposes.

Now in my 50's and no longer in systematically athletic shape, my capabilities of course are different. But 50 miles in non-mountainous terrain? Without panniers or load? On a decent bike with a frame which doesn't flex, plenty of gears, and cleats? Child's play. I think most people on here could do it. If I didn't mind spending all day, I'm quite sure 100 miles would still be within my reach, without any herculean effort.

Feasible miles will go way down on a 20" bike if there are big hills -- because you can't make up the slow pace uphill with a fast downhill run, like you can on a proper road bike. At least I can't -- not enough stability for high speeds. But then I was never good downhill anyway -- it's why I gave up my attempt to get into road racing years ago. I was always good uphill (and still am), but never had the balls for running fast downhill, drafting, two inches from the next rider.

Having enough low range gears is really key for middle age cruisers, I think. I like the SRAM dual drive hub on my Jetstream. It replaces the front derailleur and gives you three gear ranges, instantly, even if you're not moving. Lack of a front derailleur means the chain never falls off -- nice -- and that's one less thing to snag when you're storing the bike. I wish the low range was a bit lower, however. I like for the lowest gear, to be so low that you are going so slowly at normal cadence that you can barely keep the bike upright. The road bike I rode all over Europe on was set up like that, and to boot with an extra long crankset (175mm IIRC).
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 23:27   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I'm not so sure that is true. Cats lack a keel and thus ride differently. Not better, just differently. Also, remember that the sternrail is 5 feet forward of the transoms and the deck is 4-5 feet above the water. Technically, the transoms get raked a good bit, but not 56 feet above the waterline, 5 feet forward of the transom. On a mono, for example, that would be repeated, frequent filling of the cockpit. This is the reason that cats do reasonably well with tenders on davits as well--the tender is NOT hanging behind the boat.

As for cats with no protection of the cockpit from the stern, I'm not sure that is smart. But it does support my point. My PDQ 32/34 is center cockpit, which is a little unusual.
I have sailed cats, and dinghy storage NOT hung off behind the hull(s) is one of the very great advantages of the design. Dinghy storage is one of the really huge problems of cruising boat design, so this is something really important. I'm surprised it's so little mentioned in the usual cat-mono debates.

I guess the advantages must be similar for bike storage. But within the limits of the sea states the boat can handle, of course.
Old 18-06-2017, 23:28   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Dock I agree with almost all of what you wrote however I have a slightly different mantra when going uphill. If I can walk faster pushing the bike than I am going by peddling I will get off and walk.
Old 18-06-2017, 23:31   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Dock I agree with almost all of what you wrote however I have a slightly different mantra when going uphill. If I can walk faster pushing the bike than I am going by peddling I will get off and walk.
Ha, ha. Yes, you're probably right. I used to stay on the bike at all costs, because I used to use the old-fashioned cleats and toeclips you couldn't get your feet out of very easily, and were carp for walking once you did get them out.

Now with the new cleats, you're probably right -- just get off and walk
Old 18-06-2017, 23:35   #37

Boat: Lagoon 450S

Hmmm
Following.... as we have lived on our 450 11 months. I often miss my bike. But I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out a good spot and a way to haul 2 bikes as the wife would want hers too.. But there are times when we would really really use them. But so much of the time they would just set. And from what I come up with, really in the way. The other issue is packing them to shore in the dinghy would be a Constant pain! If we were at a marina most of the time. I could see it working. But we are on the hook 85% of the time.
However seeing this tread makes me reconsider the idea.
Thanks
Krabimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 23:36   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
You should have searched a bit more. MKS makes a line of detachable pedals ("Ezy") which can be single- or double-sided clipless, or platform/clipless combo. Catalog: http://www.mkspedal.com/sites/defaul...017catalogED48[Eng].pdf These can be bought online in the states, and at some dealers (they are a big pedal manufacturer but the detachable are a niche product).

I have the clipless-only detachable pedals, but would consider the combo pedals in the future for my Brompton.

Greg
Hot tip; thank you!!
Old 18-06-2017, 23:44   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
It was the "in a couple hours" part that got me. I raced in college and still ride ~ 50-100 miles per week at a sharp pace. There are few 25-year olds that can maintain and honest 25 MPH on the level, on their own for more than one mile. Very few. In the draft, of course. 20 MPH average isn't realistic for most. I'm with Starzinger--more like 4 hours, and you'll still know you did something.
I said FEW hours, not "couple"!!

These days I ride relatively slow, and I spin and work the gears. Unless I feel like a workout, I normally spend 5 or 6 hours making 50 miles, usually with a stop or two. And I do it regularly!! The racers blow right past me. But it is no stress.
Old 18-06-2017, 23:49   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Ha, ha. Yes, you're probably right. I used to stay on the bike at all costs, because I used to use the old-fashioned cleats and toeclips you couldn't get your feet out of very easily, and were carp for walking once you did get them out.

Now with the new cleats, you're probably right -- just get off and walk
Takes less energy to push than to pedal.
It may take me all day to get somewhere with 20 inch wheels but I'm reminded of a parable about a young bull an old bull and a heard of heffers in a field
Old 18-06-2017, 23:49   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by inchcailloch View Post
Rust rust rust! Have aluminium mountain bike but still rust! I love cycling but almost a waste of space. Cruising you have plenty of time to walk and in most places public transport is very cheap. If you have room inside, ok but Im having 2nd thought about having brought it with me.
I love to walk almost as much as I love to cycle, BUT a bicycle gives you totally different range. Exploring new places is a key part of cruising for me, and I don't like to be limited to walking range of what I can see in those new places. Being more or less carless for a few years now, I use public transport, but it is no substitute -- it's not a way to roam where you want and see things.

I wouldn't cruise without a bike. I consider it my "land tender".
Old 18-06-2017, 23:53   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I love to walk almost as much as I love to cycle, BUT a bicycle gives you totally different range. Exploring new places is a key part of cruising for me, and I don't like to be limited to walking range of what I can see in those new places. Being more or less carless for a few years now, I use public transport, but it is no substitute -- it's not a way to roam where you want and see things.

Public transportation is a reason for a folding bike. Folded up they are luggage to carry on the bus.
Old 19-06-2017, 00:07   #43
cruiser

Quote:

Now that you rediscovered a bicycle, what's next? Watermaker? Vinyl records?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 00:15   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Takes less energy to push than to pedal.
It may take me all day to get somewhere with 20 inch wheels but I'm reminded of a parable about a young bull an old bull and a heard of heffers in a field
High on top of a mountain there stood an old bull and a young bull.

Both of them were leering at the young heifers down in the valley quite a distance away.

The young bull was snorting, huffing and puffing, pacing back and forth, etc.

Finally, after a while, the young bull said…

“Say, why don’t we run down this mountain and have our way with one of them?”

The old bull pondered for a moment, smiled, leaned over, and calmly said…

“Why don’t we walk down the mountain and have our way with all of them!

Good one! But 20" wheels don't affect speed, except downhill!
Old 19-06-2017, 00:17   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Now that you rediscovered a bicycle, what's next? Watermaker? Vinyl records?
Ha, ha.

I never UNdiscovered bicycles. I've been cycling continuously since I was 5 years old.

In fact, that craving to roam and see new places, which I felt from the earliest ages, and which I satisfied on a bicycle in childhood, is the very same craving which drives me to cruise. So cruising is really just a logical extension of cycling, for me at least, and I bet for others as well.

Tags
boat