Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2021, 10:19   #16

Boat: Tartan 4100
Re: Best 7-8ft lightweight solid dinghy?

There are a lot of good hard dinghies out there, most of them are on the heavy side of things, my current dinghy is a Fatty Knees. However, there are a couple of new carbon fiber models that have the attributes of an inflatable (stability and load carrying) with the benefits of a rigid (long life, durability against abrasion) BUT..... they are expensive. I just put a deposit on an Offshore Cruising Tender, https://octenders.co.nz/
There is another one made in Germany AST: https://ast-yachts.com/beach-280/

These new dinghies are cutting edge and modern in appearance, so they may or may not be for you, but they are light 75 lbs for a 10ft. They are well thought out, and they get up on plane with minimal HP
Good hunting
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:28   #17

Boat: Endeavour 33

I’ve had a Walker Bay for years. Mine has the sponson which adds to the payload ability and the stability. I would replace it if it were lost/damaged beyond repair.
Capt Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:45   #18

Boat: Tartan 27

If you enjoy DIY, consider the Eastport pram (comes in an optional nesting version) kit made by Chesapeake Light Craft. Light, strong and as pretty as you want to make it, but still a wooden boat covered with fabric and epoxy, so requires a watchful eye and some maintenance.
rbyronmccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 11:05   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

[QUOTE=Cheechako;3460307]Up where you are you should be able to find a Dyer Dhow 8 ft. Stable for that small.

But I must warn you, an 8 ft dingy can be a wet ride if there is a chop with 2 people. It will bang the heck out of the side of your mothership. Having a dink on the foredeck is not a lot of fun either. Barnacles will scratch your gel coat and other goo will be allover your cabin top. I've done it on a 1.5 year cruise. We almost sank a couple of times getting back to the boat from town. Have a good bailing can. Watch out for broken ribs on the foredeck when you slip and fall on the dingy.

Really like our Montgomery 8' dink on the foredeck. It's a place to lean on when the boat is bouncing and pitching while working on the foredeck. Use the spinnaker pole and a tackle to hoist it back on board. Easy to hang out of the water when not in use so the critters don't grow on the bottom and discourages theft. Canvas/rubber gunnel wrap minimizes/eliminates problem of boat rubbing up against the hull. A fender and fore and aft mooring lines also works.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 11:05   #20

We love our 8' Fatty Knees (Fatty Knees Dinghy Design: A solid dinghy that's fun to sail).
Ted Zook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 11:46   #21

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

For those that might have a Walker Bay 8 and would like a add a tube kit you can still order them from the UK. They are expensive, about $900 shipped to the US. I like our WB but agree it is a little tipsy. I am considering the tube kit but haven't bit the bullet yet.

Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 22:28   #22

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbyronmccord View Post
If you enjoy DIY, consider the Eastport pram (comes in an optional nesting version) kit made by Chesapeake Light Craft. Light, strong and as pretty as you want to make it, but still a wooden boat covered with fabric and epoxy, so requires a watchful eye and some maintenance.
I'm about to build one of the nesting ones. My Danny Greene Chameleon is a little too big. I built an Eastport for a friend back in Canada a few years ago and it's a nice looking craft which is important to me for some reason. Mental issues no doubt.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 03:32   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I've owned, designed, and built a lot of dinghies in my time, and I find that the only way to keep it small is to sacrifice stability. A small dinghy will simply require better balance and care on your part, if you're unwilling to burden it with float tubes and all the other things that make it harder to row, thus meaning that you have to sacrifice room to an engine.
If you want the ultimate in lightweight, sturdy, and small, you'll have to become good at rowing and learn good balance. I cruised the Caribbean with a 6' pram as a tender (2 of us); and then built a 9' FG rowing dinghy for my family of five when we cruised. We still routinely row out to our mooring in it, and my daughters are teenagers. There simply would be no room if we had an engine on it.
Find a Dyer dhow, get a good pair of oars, and cruise victoriously!
Old 13-08-2021, 11:24   #24

Boat: Panda/Baba 40

+1 Walker Bay with the float collar. With the sail rig, it sails surprisingly well. I even use a trolling motor with a bullnose "rudder" attachment to serve as a power assist rudder for upwind pointing in light air.

With a bigger gas motor, it does tip backwards uncomfortably. The float collar essentially stops at the transom, rather than extend well aft as it would in a RIB. Considered putting a 10's float collar on an 8, but seemed a bit much.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 11:37   #25

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

AnotherT34C. Sounds like you have used a walker bay8 with the added floats. In your opinion it’s worth the $900? I don’t have the sail kit for mine. Just row or use the 2.5hp.

Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 07:43   #26

Boat: Panda/Baba 40

With the floats, I (180lbs) can stand on the gunwhale of the 8 without flipping the boat. They are expensive, but I feel they are worth it. They also stabilize while sailing. I've never once felt in danger of flipping with the sail rig up.

People joke that "your dinghy has a lifevest" but honestly, I like the look of it. It's like a RIB with the proportions reversed.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 06:44   #27

Have you looked at OC Tenders out of NZ? They are light, have sunbrella like fabric over foam to protect your side and plenty of dry storage. I have the 11’ version with a 15 hp and can plane with three large adults. Mine weighs 104, but the carbon version comes in at 74 lbs. There is a dealer now in FL.
Sanddallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 07:21   #28

Boat: WorldCat 230 DC

Anyone using a Takacat want to offer their thoughts?
Vizsla_Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 09:02   #29
JHW

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Check out the Whaley 270, will last forever and costs a fraction of most solid dinghys
JHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 09:36   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Orion MK II

Fatty Knees!
Americanrancher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy