Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2012, 06:20   #1

Boat: MacGregor 26D
MacGregor 26D Mast

Hello all, I am in need of some help! Please. I am now in possession of a 1988 MacGregor 26D. Unfortunately the mast was lost in a barn fire (owner had no Ins.). So, I need a mast (new or used) and all hardware and rigging. In addition I need the schematics or a diagram of where to place said hardware on the mast. I have contacted BWY but not willing to help unless I purchase a new mast from them ($2000 incl. shpg.). BTW, seems I know more about a “complete” mast than they do – the quote I received (for a complete mast and all rigging) was missing multiple critical parts. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Creekbed317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 06:50   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: MacGregor 26D Mast

Since you are in the States you can probably find one there, but just FYI: We rebuilt a hurricane salvage McGregor in Belize. Rig was completely gone, but with a little research we learned that the mast height of a Hobie 16 was pretty close. Re-rigged with an H16 mast, modifed H16 sail, old staysail for a jib, and she sailed just fine...bit a of jury rig of course, but it worked.

As I recall, there are some pretty good McGregor sites on the net where we found the rig specifications.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 07:36   #3

Boat: 99 Island Packet 380

I was able to find a Yahoo group for my Venture 24(McGregor), and got lots of photos, drawings and original manual. People also regularly post there about parting out their boats. I would search for a similar group.
Old 17-08-2012, 08:09   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Since you are in the States you can probably find one there, but just FYI: We rebuilt a hurricane salvage McGregor in Belize. Rig was completely gone, but with a little research we learned that the mast height of a Hobie 16 was pretty close. Re-rigged with an H16 mast, modifed H16 sail, old staysail for a jib, and she sailed just fine...bit a of jury rig of course, but it worked.

As I recall, there are some pretty good McGregor sites on the net where we found the rig specifications.
Thanks, yes I’ve seen this mod using a H18 mast and it appears to work well. However, the individuals I’ve seen do this mod had the hardware and rigging from their old mac26 mast to move to the new/used H18 mast. I believe the mast hardware and rigging for the H18 would be too light weight. Her sails are in excellent condition and really want to use them. I am fairly sure the H16 mast would be too short for her mainsail. I've had NO luck with finding rigging specs. Anyone care to chime in on the H18, H16 hardware and rigging? Thank you all!
Old 17-08-2012, 19:18   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekbed317 View Post
Thanks, yes I’ve seen this mod using a H18 mast and it appears to work well. However, the individuals I’ve seen do this mod had the hardware and rigging from their old mac26 mast to move to the new/used H18 mast. I believe the mast hardware and rigging for the H18 would be too light weight. Her sails are in excellent condition and really want to use them. I am fairly sure the H16 mast would be too short for her mainsail. I've had NO luck with finding rigging specs. Anyone care to chime in on the H18, H16 hardware and rigging? Thank you all!
We had none of the M26 rigging, made up everything we needed on site. Used a lot of the stainless wire from the H16 (the H16 hulls were shot, but the rigging was fine). We cut rigging to fit the M26, and made up new swages and fittings as necessary.

The M26 is quite light and not exactly a performance boat so the rigging would not concern me much. The H16 rigging has certainly been sufficient and the H18 rigging is heavier. I expect that H18's get loaded much heavier than the M26. If the wire gauges concern you, just go with heavier wire. Someone here or on a McGregor site can probably provide the wire diameters used on a standard M26 rig.
Old 18-08-2012, 07:35   #6

Quote:
We had none of the M26 rigging, made up everything we needed on site. Used a lot of the stainless wire from the H16 (the H16 hulls were shot, but the rigging was fine). We cut rigging to fit the M26, and made up new swages and fittings as necessary.

The M26 is quite light and not exactly a performance boat so the rigging would not concern me much. The H16 rigging has certainly been sufficient and the H18 rigging is heavier. I expect that H18's get loaded much heavier than the M26. If the wire gauges concern you, just go with heavier wire. Someone here or on a McGregor site can probably provide the wire diameters used on a standard M26 rig.
Thanks! That is really encouraging! I figured the rigging from the H16 or H18 would be way too short. Back on the hunt for a H18! Can't thank you enough for all the great info and feedback. I'll keep you posted.
Old 18-08-2012, 08:06   #7

Quote:
Thanks! That is really encouraging! I figured the rigging from the H16 or H18 would be way too short. Back on the hunt for a H18! Can't thank you enough for all the great info and feedback. I'll keep you posted.
You're welcome. Good luck in your search.

Another thought: I don't think having the M26 original rigging would really be all that useful except for reference. Since the fittings and attachment points are different on the H16/H18 rigs you would have to modify it anyway.
Old 18-08-2012, 08:40   #8

Quote:
You're welcome. Good luck in your search.

Another thought: I don't think having the M26 original rigging would really be all that useful except for reference. Since the fittings and attachment points are different on the H16/H18 rigs you would have to modify it anyway.
Sure, i figured as much. Thinking about going with mast bails instead of the original pop-riveted and inside the mast bolted hardware. What did you do to fab your spreaders?
Old 18-08-2012, 10:39   #9

Quote:
Sure, i figured as much. Thinking about going with mast bails instead of the original pop-riveted and inside the mast bolted hardware. What did you do to fab your spreaders?
We used stainless tubing to make up the spreaders and made-up fittings to secure them to the mast. Having someone involved, or a contractor, with metal work/welding skills is handy. The bits you need to fabricate are really very minor, but you will need to do a little.
Old 18-08-2012, 13:35   #10

Quote:
We used stainless tubing to make up the spreaders and made-up fittings to secure them to the mast. Having someone involved, or a contractor, with metal work/welding skills is handy. The bits you need to fabricate are really very minor, but you will need to do a little.
Old 22-08-2012, 05:26   #11

Thanks for all the good info!
Old 08-01-2013, 21:42   #12

Boat: Catalina 38
I do have the M26 Classic mast specs.. Do you still need them?
Old 13-01-2013, 18:34   #13

I own a 1989 M26D. I would be happy to answer any questions, measure any dimensions, or provide any pictures you need, (assuming you still need them).

SPC
SpCantu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
macgregor, mast