Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2021, 12:33   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Johnson Ultima Float Switch

One of the longest lasting pieces of equipment on my boat was the gray water tank float switches (x2), old Jabsco ones with mercury switches. They lasted something like 18 years until they failed one after the other, year before last.

I replaced them with some emergency acquired run-of-the-mill chandlery float switches, which lasted a matter of months, were replaced again, and now are on the verge of failing again. I replaced one of them (the less critical, forward one, which only services the guest shower) with a Johnson Ultima switch.

Now I'm thinking about replacing the more serious one (servicing galley and my heads compartment) with the same type, plus acquiring one more as a spare.

But before I make that kind of commitment to these devices --

What are people's experiences with them?

Since mercury was banned from float switches, I have not used anything but the Ultimate Junior ones for my bilges, so I lack experience.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 12:54   #2

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: Johnson Ultima Float Switch

Found 2 in the parts bin on board when we bought the boat.
Have had one in the tender for 5 years doing its thing.
Is that good? I don't know, I expect all gear to work as advertised.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 13:10   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Found 2 in the parts bin on board when we bought the boat.
Have had one in the tender for 5 years doing its thing.
Is that good? I don't know, I expect all gear to work as advertised.

If you expect "all gear to work as advertised", you must not buy much boat stuff
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 01-05-2021, 13:27   #4

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

They are a good switch. You can find this type in food, pharmaceutical plants, and beer brewers. I’ve found stainless in a recycle junkyard. You might try flea bay.
I bought an Aqualarm SS 208-24, #20036 for $67 free ship. For 24 volt system.
Have not wired it up yet but Aqualarm stuff works well.
My manatee crew is building a micro brewery onboard out of salvaged stainless and a solar pizza oven. I keep valves, switches and TIG stuff under lock and key.
Happy trails to you.
Mark and his crew.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 13:42   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
They are a good switch. You can find this type in food, pharmaceutical plants, and beer brewers. I’ve found stainless in a recycle junkyard. You might try flea bay.
I bought an Aqualarm SS 208-24, #20036 for $67 free ship. For 24 volt system.
Have not wired it up yet but Aqualarm stuff works well.
My manatee crew is building a micro brewery onboard out of salvaged stainless and a solar pizza oven. I keep valves, switches and TIG stuff under lock and key.
Happy trails to you.
Mark and his crew.

Thanks!
Walt Whitman
Old 01-05-2021, 15:13   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Thanks for the heads up.
Stainless steel float switch brings up a whole world of likely candidates on eBay.
Many around $20
Old 02-05-2021, 04:45   #7

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Several years ago I did a "market survey" of sorts -- on trawlerforum, here, a few other sites -- to see who recommended what.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ch-190808.html

IIRC, consensus across all sites was that normal non-mercury float arms are crap. (I was replacing a 15-year-old mercury float arm switch, at the time.)

IIRC, the Johnson Ultima got semi-decent marks, and one other (can't remember which) "scored" just slightly lower...

But the consistent winner from among all sites -- especially the "huge yacht" site -- was the Ultra Safety Systems Pump Switch." (IIRC, they didn't score highest here, I suspect because of cost.)

They make a couple different sizes, add-on alarms, etc. and I was very pleased with the one I installed. I did add an alarm to that one, and it'd wake the dead, much louder than the other high-water alarm in the boat.

My intent would have been to replace the other two older mercury float arm switches whenever they got around to failing... but they hadn't failed by the time we sold the boat last June.

-Chris
Old 02-05-2021, 05:24   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Several years ago I did a "market survey" of sorts -- on trawlerforum, here, a few other sites -- to see who recommended what ...
... But the consistent winner from among all sites -- especially the "huge yacht" site -- was the Ultra Safety Systems Pump Switch." (IIRC, they didn't score highest here, I suspect because of cost.)

They make a couple different sizes, add-on alarms, etc. and I was very pleased with the one I installed. I did add an alarm to that one, and it'd wake the dead, much louder than the other high-water alarm in the boat ...
-Chris
Indeed, the best float/level switch I ever encountered.
Disclosure: I haven't encountered ANY float switches in about twenty years.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 08:11   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Several years ago I did a "market survey" of sorts -- on trawlerforum, here, a few other sites -- to see who recommended what.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ch-190808.html

IIRC, consensus across all sites was that normal non-mercury float arms are crap. (I was replacing a 15-year-old mercury float arm switch, at the time.)

IIRC, the Johnson Ultima got semi-decent marks, and one other (can't remember which) "scored" just slightly lower...

But the consistent winner from among all sites -- especially the "huge yacht" site -- was the Ultra Safety Systems Pump Switch." (IIRC, they didn't score highest here, I suspect because of cost.)

They make a couple different sizes, add-on alarms, etc. and I was very pleased with the one I installed. I did add an alarm to that one, and it'd wake the dead, much louder than the other high-water alarm in the boat.

My intent would have been to replace the other two older mercury float arm switches whenever they got around to failing... but they hadn't failed by the time we sold the boat last June.

-Chris

Well, as I said, I use the Ultra Safety Systems switches for my bilges, for all the bilge pumps, and also a freestanding one for my bilge alarm. I even keep a spare on board. But they are way too big for my gray water tank.
Walt Whitman
Old 02-05-2021, 08:45   #10

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Well, as I said, I use the Ultra Safety Systems switches for my bilges, for all the bilge pumps, and also a freestanding one for my bilge alarm. I even keep a spare on board. But they are way too big for my gray water tank.

Ah, sorry, didn't see where you said that...

Or that's what you meant by "Ultimate Junior" maybe...

-Chris
Old 02-05-2021, 14:09   #11

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I tried a couple of "clever" switches, which failed for various reasons. I then bought an Ultra Systems Senior switch and it went for more than 25 years before giving out. I now have an Ultra Junior. They really are the standard of excellence; the only downside is the price - but amortized over 25 years it is quite affordable.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 15:18   #12

Boat: SS34

It's not a float switch but I think the Water Witch 101 is the best bilge switch going. Has a 5 year warranty now, used to be lifetime on the first one I bought for my fishing vessel.
https://waterwitchinc.com/bilge-switches/
Ramona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 15:50   #13

I think the best one we have used is a normal float switch mounted at floor level
PVC tube with a float on the end pushes up through loose plastic saddles to activate the float switch.

Actual float switch never sees water and being up high is easily accessible.
Old 02-05-2021, 16:18   #14

Boat: Hinterhoeller Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona View Post
It's not a float switch but I think the Water Witch 101 is the best bilge switch going. Has a 5 year warranty now, used to be lifetime on the first one I bought for my fishing vessel.
https://waterwitchinc.com/bilge-switches/
Every single non-mercury bilge switch is crap and is not reliable EXCEPT for the Water Witch. The Johnson pumps are much better than the Rule brand, but forget the switch.

On a previous somewhat leaky boat I actually wired in two Ultima switches on the assumption that one could and usually would fail during a season. The paddle type float switches with an internal micro-switch are even worse.

The Water Witch senses the bilge water with a solid-state, no moving parts circuit. Every spring I test the Water Witch with a wet paper towel, and after 5 years 100%. IMO, worth the higher price when one considers the risks
Boatwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 18:48   #15

[QUOTE=.....
The Water Witch senses the bilge water with a solid-state, no moving parts circuit. Every spring I test the Water Witch with a wet paper towel, and after 5 years 100%. IMO, worth the higher price when one considers the risks[/QUOTE]

I too am in the market for a better float switch (and pump) and was thinking to use solid state. Found this one FYI:

https://www.bluebgi.com/blog/solid-s...systems-junior

$89 and bluetooth compatible. A bit more money that the WW, but the specs and capabilities seem good. Hmmmm. Now for a pump.

Have not purchased either switch yet.

Jim
sailrjim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa