Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2022, 15:34   #31

Re: Black water tank sensor recommendation

That was one of my beefs with the original one i have. LCD display is very hard for my blind eyes. I use a flashlight to read it. Would like to see the new one and perhaps switch out my display.
Noahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 13:20   #32

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

FWIW, I have Wema internal sensors (float in a stainless tube) on my stainless holding tanks (replaced the original equipment bellows-type which had died) and they work well. They can be unscrewed from the mounting flange for cleaning, which hasn't been necessary. The float is a ring magnet which passes several reed switching in the center rod so while the output is the standard "analog" resistance, the level does change in discrete steps, still plenty of resolution for the purpose.

My aft tank is a rather wide and shallow trapezoid under the after port berth, so top-mount sonar etc wasn't an option, nor were any externally-mounted sensors. The Wema senders work and were not expensive.
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 01:04   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I’m using capacitive sensors mounted on the outside
Do you have a wiring diagram for how you've wired these sensors up?
Crocketdile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 04:54   #34

Boat: Oyster 49

If you PM me your email, I will send you my installation instructions

TS
Tudorsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 05:21   #35

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

I have the old Profile system that was bought by SCAD but is no longer produced. In the common, but weird, way that life works, the new systems are much less capable. My single Profile display will show tank levels for all 5 of my fluid tanks (2 water, 2 fuel, 1 waste) and has room for at least one more tank. It also displays tank names, like forward fuel and starboard water. The version sold today, while nifty, supports a maximum of two tanks. Disappointing.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 08:48   #36

Boat: Switch 51

Has anyone tried/had success with ultrasonic level sensors?
AndyOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2024, 07:34   #37

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Since this thread has been resurrected, I have bit of an update/correction on my post two above this one. I have the old Profile 8 sensor, a wonderful bit of gear that, as I said above, monitors 5 of my tanks and can do 3 more if I wanted. Just this month (what a coincidence!) I bought a repair kit to refresh my sensor foil on my holding tank (it lives near the bilge, and gets both physical abuse and water abuse). As a result, I have more clarity on the product.

SCAD, who claims to have sold the Profile 8 until 2018, says they no longer sell it, and have replaced it with their 2-channel system, as I said in my previous post. The new display is a huge step backward in function -- fewer channels, no naming, less useful display. It is cheaper -- $151 at Defender, sensors extra. SCAD is here: https://scadtech.com/

However, there is another company, New Providence Marine, who does still sell the Profile 8. An awesome piece of gear. For the extra features, you do pay more -- $300. Like the SCAD, this price includes no sensors, since each tank requires a unique sensor solution. The web site is not clear on product -- they cheerfully talk about the new 8 channel Profile 8, but the sales link indicates the old Profile 6 Legacy. Not sure what you get if you buy it!

How SCAD and New Providence relate to each other, who was original, who bought who, and how they get along is a mystery. But clearly, the Profile 8 is a superior product to the SCAD offering, and is still available.

Anyway, wanted to add this update since my last post was inaccurate.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, sensor, water