Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2021, 06:03   #16

Re: Captain in a box: 6 ok vs 25/50/100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligan8 View Post
Just picked up that 25/50/100 course with a towing add-on for $88 bucks!

#SteadyAsSheGoes
You bought used material for $88, or actually signed up for the course? Looking at the MLS site, that runs about $650+.
Hooksetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 12:03   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooksetter View Post
You bought used material for $88, or actually signed up for the course? Looking at the MLS site, that runs about $650+.
Used material.
Gilligan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 04:16   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
What self-study material and/or approach did you use?
By chance, did you research any in-person classes? if so, could you share?
Rwwjr65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:25   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCuervo View Post
Greetings Gilligan,

I just went through this and will share my experience.

The OUPV is tougher, in my opinion, because the breadth of material is pretty impressive. You will cover a lot of ground (water?) in the course of your studies. I took my time and tried to really learn, and it took me several months. I had one big life interruption along the way but kept at it. I started around Halloween last year and took and passed my exams, including the sailing endorsement, about 90 days later. It’s certainly possible to speed that up, but that timeframe worked for me doing self-paced study.

Once I had completed my OUPV exams, I dithered back and forth about pursuing becoming a Licensed Master. Finally, I decided to do it, mainly because I wanted to keep learning. Also, I had already purchased the upgrade curriculum, so I figured I might as well. My spouse/first mate was not particularly delighted that I was going back down the rabbit hole for more study.

You have to decide why you are pursuing this. I do not plan to do this professionally, so I won’t necessarily realize a lot of the obvious benefits, but I really enjoy learning and increasing my knowledge.

I started around the first of March and passed my Licensed Master exams on April 7, and in retrospect, I am very happy I did this. I learned a solid amount. I found the material to be easier than the OUPV, and I learned things that were highly applicable to my life on the water. The material builds on what you will have learned in OUPV, and some of it (e.g. firefighting) overlaps quite a bit. If money is not a huge issue here, I would say “go for it”, but that is a highly personalized decision. I don’t think it made economic sense for me, but I am glad I did it and would do so again.
The OUPV (six pack) covers most of the material including the entire Rules of the Road which is the hardest part.

The Masters covers everything that the OUPV covers plus a little more easy material.

So if you get your OUPV first and then add the Masters it is considered an upgrade and you only need to study the added (easy) material.

If you go straight for the Masters you will be tested on everything.
Rules of the road, charting, etc.

In your case you are comparing the OUVP tests with the Master Upgrade.

So to be clear the Masters covers more material then the OVUP and is a little harder.
Captain Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 17:00   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Graham View Post
The OUPV (six pack) covers most of the material including the entire Rules of the Road which is the hardest part.

The Masters covers everything that the OUPV covers plus a little more easy material.

So if you get your OUPV first and then add the Masters it is considered an upgrade and you only need to study the added (easy) material.

If you go straight for the Masters you will be tested on everything.
Rules of the road, charting, etc.

In your case you are comparing the OUVP tests with the Master Upgrade.

So to be clear the Masters covers more material then the OVUP and is a little harder.
I just read my post and I hope it did not offend anyone.
I did not intend to sound rude.
Captain Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 17:25   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Graham View Post
I just read my post and I hope it did not offend anyone.
I did not intend to sound rude.
Sounded just fine to me. Very informative.

Thanks,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 04:59   #22

Boat: 2018 Senesco 110'

"Excess is best" I recommended getting the biggest possible license with the greatest scope possible. You never know when you'll need it, but you'll already have it.
Old 29-12-2021, 13:17   #23

When I went through all of this I took on the whole list. OUPV, Master, Sailing, and tow. I was granted OUPV NC, Master (inland) 50t, I did not have enough time I guess for my nc for masters.
Apply for everything that you think you qualify for first, CG will sort it out. If you decide you are going to up grade to a higher rating in a year or so be prepared to do all you med / UA. The CG will require a new certificate for an up grade from inland to NC. It’s all about the $$$$.
sweepint is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain