Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 06:48   #16

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Re: Small Full Displacement Cruisers?

Samson:

There are several types of hulls:

1. Round bottom
2. Hard chine- flat deadrise (angle of the hull looking at the stern)
3. Hard chine- deep keel, deep deadrise, so called deep v bottom
4. Soft chine or rounded chine

And some of these have no keel, a stubby keel or a deepish keel. #2 through 4 can be pushed beyond displacement speed with enough horsepower so are considered semi displacement hulls.

A "true downeaster" as produced by the New England custom boatbuilders has a deep, full keel, a flatish deadrise and a soft chine. It isn't particularly fuel efficient but it is very seakindly.
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:28   #17

Boat: krogan 38

How about a Nimble , made as a motorsailer or powerboat , another is the Cape Dory 28 Power Boat
bathharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 17:05   #18

I can't comment on current small displacement cruisers. However, there were a lot built back in the 20s and 30s. I own a 1936 vintage 32' displacement cruiser that I am in the process of repowering. The boat has a displacement of approximately 10,000 lbs. With its 32' LWL the nominal hull speed is about 7.6 knots. As part of the repowering exercise I did a fairly complete analysis of the power needs for a small displacement cruiser. That analysis is summarized at:

http://www.todddunnmicroyachts.com/tortuga/repower.html

A displacement hull running at speed to length ratios up to about 1.6-1.7 doesn't need all that much power. With the exception of the Willard 30 and the small Albin cruisers, almost none of the newer boats are powered for pure displacement cruising.

Just my thoughts on the subject.
Todd D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 17:42   #19

Boat: compac 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson View Post
reading this from the nordic 26 info.

"Though her 115 hp (86 kw) Cummins diesel burns less than one gph at six knots or two gph at eight knots,"

how is that? i have been doing all sorts of numbers and things and im seeing yanmars 20 and 30hp barely burn less then 1gph or around .7gph to put a displacement hulled boat under 30 ft to hull speed. that is a HUGE difference from 30hp to 115hp.

John
any one know why this is
thanks
John
samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 17:50   #20

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

It has more to do with how much horsepower one is actually producing rather than the amount capable of producing.
Old 21-04-2011, 01:49   #21
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd D View Post
That analysis is summarized at:

Repowering Tortuga - Choosing a new Engine
That's an awesome reference point for anyone thinking of a re-power

I dunno how good it all is (some ) of the technical stuff is way beyond me, but seems ballpark to me.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 04:46   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Todd D.
Thanks for sharing your interesting & informative analysis.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 06:18   #23

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

FWIW - there was an earlier post which said that a Nordic Tug 32 would get only 2 nmpg at 7 knots. My friends cruise the Inside Passage in one, and it gets about 4 nmpg at 7 knots. With its 210 hp diesel it can do 14 knots or more, but it's quite happy and reasonably efficient at 7. Push it up to 8 or 9 knots and fuel mileage declines significantly. Keep it nearer hull speed and it works quite well.
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 11:12   #24

Boat: Olson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMoon View Post
FWIW - there was an earlier post which said that a Nordic Tug 32 would get only 2 nmpg at 7 knots. My friends cruise the Inside Passage in one, and it gets about 4 nmpg at 7 knots. With its 210 hp diesel it can do 14 knots or more, but it's quite happy and reasonably efficient at 7. Push it up to 8 or 9 knots and fuel mileage declines significantly. Keep it nearer hull speed and it works quite well.
Your friend may be correct: I think the 2.1 nmpg we saw was at 8 knots, not 7. I stand corrected.
u4ea32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 11:54   #25

Boat: Cheoy Lee Trawler 32'

I wouldn't buy anything but full displacement single screw. The less your fuel budget, the more you can cruise. My 1977 32' Cheoy Lee trawler with a 80 hp 4 cylinder Lehman cruises at a comfortable 7 knots on 1.5 gallon per hour, and is very capable in ugly conditions. I know this is slightly over your 30' limit, though there were a few 28' models built.
Old 07-05-2011, 15:30   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

In that size range there are very few full displacement boats. If you are set on full displacement, there is no shortage of plans for this type of pocket cruiser. Build one or have one built. If you don't mind going a little faster, take a look at the Ellis line of "real Down East boats". I have a twenty year old Ellis 28 that I love. When I had it built I thought I would be doing a lot of scuba diving so she has a big cockpit and minimum living quarters. If I was doing it today, I'd do the opposite.
Another small cruiser that I've been drooling all over at boat shows is the Camano 30. Looks like a very comfortable boat for two with a huge flying bridge. I'm in Florida so being able to run the boat from topside is important.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 16:44   #27

I must admit I not sure I understand the difference between the two I have a trawler and it is semi displacment what is the difference?
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 17:16   #28

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd D View Post
I can't comment on current small displacement cruisers. However, there were a lot built back in the 20s and 30s. I own a 1936 vintage 32' displacement cruiser that I am in the process of repowering. The boat has a displacement of approximately 10,000 lbs. With its 32' LWL the nominal hull speed is about 7.6 knots. As part of the repowering exercise I did a fairly complete analysis of the power needs for a small displacement cruiser. That analysis is summarized at:

Repowering Tortuga - Choosing a new Engine

A displacement hull running at speed to length ratios up to about 1.6-1.7 doesn't need all that much power. With the exception of the Willard 30 and the small Albin cruisers, almost none of the newer boats are powered for pure displacement cruising.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

After going thru your summary and analysis I noted at the end that while the engine you chose was $200 more than the cheapest, given the better fuel economy at 6.5kt, at $4/gal you will break even on that $200 difference after 1000hr running. So unless you get rid of the boat in the next 5yr (ignoring inflation and assuming 200hr/yr running time) you will be money ahead)
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 14:32   #29

Boat: Willard 40PH trawler, ALOHA
Re: Small Full Displacement Cruisers

The Willard 30, a true full displacement trawler wth ballasted keel, with a stock 30hp Yanmar engine, burns .6 gph at around 5.5 knots. That is around 9 nmpg. The W30 carries 150 gallons of fuel aboard for an "all out" range around 1400 nm.

Nordic Tugs are semi-displacement hulls with somewhat greater interior space than the Willard 30. But fuel efficency is the big difference between displacement and semi-displacement hulls.

My Willard 40 with a 120hp John Deere diesel burns under 1.5 gph at 7.5 knots for a comparable 5 nmpg. With 700 gallons of fuel in the tanks I have an ultimate range of around 3500 nm.

Patrick
aboard ALOHA
La Paz, MX
alohaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 05:16   #30

Boat: Self Built 46' Trawler
Re: Small Full Displacement Cruisers

....I know it is too late but You could see this!
::: FLAB :::
It has a Yanmar diesel 28 HP and the first hull has already 3500 miles in open waters and ZERO problems...Check it out!
Potuguese is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
displacement