Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2012, 19:17   #31

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Re: I'm honestlly not sure which forum to put this in, so here goes......

I told them I was going to buy a boat and sail offshore,
Naysayers came out of the woodwork every where,

What do you know about sailing or even boats, Duhhhh, I even got the, Your too old bit,

I bought my Gemini and sailed it almost back to home, I got washed up on a beach and put holes in the bottom of it,

No one, And I mean no one even mentions the negatives of my sailing now,

Their unknown fears have truly been laid to rest, And all these Naysayers want a ride on my boat when it is repaired,

Just do it, And not before you are to old to even try, And ignore the Naysayers, Just dont tell them any thing about it,

Cheers,
Brian,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 04:33   #32

Boat: Hunter 33 % Hobie 18SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris07732
FWIW, I had the same heart issue. Dr. recommended an outpatient ablation therapy, essentially where they cauterize some nerve paths between heart chambers to control the excess contraction signals. I've never looked back, 100% cured. Look into the procedure: Catheter Ablation | Conditions & Treatments | UCSF Medical Center

Regardless, I agree with all previous posts: go on your adventure, don't look back
I also had p-afib at 41... The main issues were the blood thinners that I was taking (warfarin) causing all sorts of issues. A simple cut could become serious I'd your INR is high (blood too thin...) while out a distance....

I too had the cardiac ablation two years ago and it worked completely. The procedure was not outpatient for me, I was in the hospital for four days. I had mine done at university of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia and they claimed a ear 90 percent first pass cue ate with a 98 percent second pass...

Meds are the problem with afib, other then the stroke that is possible...

If you'd like my docs contact info let me know and have fun on your boat!

Eric.
ericalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 08:53   #33

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo55 View Post
I fought them off when they wanted to oblate, because once its done its done,,and you cant get it back.
I get my meds 90 days at a time, and i gave my daughter my Proxy so she can act on my behalf, she can order my meds as well as pick them up and send them air freight to me wherever i am.

U.S. Pharmacies have begun restricting refills to 30 days. I think this might be related to insurance, and so it might not be true for everyone.

You don't have to sail around the world the first day you step on your boat, though. You can take your time to learn when, where, and how you will enjoy your boat, and when where and how you will get medical care. The winds do not always take you where you plan to go.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 12:12   #34

Boat: Allied Mistress , CS27, I14

I keep promising my family that I will send a post card from South Georgia Island.
That should keep them quite for a while
sailing_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 12:21   #35

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

I've seen other people go through this and I think that often those who try to dissuade you are really protecting themselves not you. Life outside the standard brown box scares many people and they don't like their belief system being challenged by others.

It's your life, it ain't getting any longer, go.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 13:05   #36

Boat: too many

Family dynamics, can I identify with you. I'm the youngest of 3, loving parents, but siblings that didn't want anything to do with me as a child or adult. I cemented my black sheep status when I solo cruised almost 30 years ago. To add more insult, I had the audacity to return to school in my 40's and chose California Maritime Academy. I was pleasantly surprised that my divorced sister and her 4 kids came to my graduation, but she was down only to pick up a car dad was giving her. Today I'm caring for my 93 year old dad, he is very supportive of me returning to cruising but the rest of the family feels I'm a poor influence on their children, and these children now adults, think I'm the black sheep and don't want their kids around me.

I'm happy for you that you have a family that cares, but if they are being contrary to your wishes, they don't care enough. You have carried this desire for a long time, go for it and I hope it is everything you dreamed it would be and more. You won't know till you do it, good luck, and as mentioned, send the family postcards and have a blog. Who knows, maybe some will fly in to see you. That is what I'm hoping for from my family, at least my family that is two generations removed from my siblings.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 15:06   #37
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i am so thankful for my family--i am not the first nor the only one to go to the sea in ships--i am just carrying on--even momma is cool with it--as long as i ping her a spot message..LOL...she wants to be able to find bubba when i dont answer---
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:37   #38

Boat: 1984 Johnson Boatworks Inland Scow, 20' and a 1975 sailMFG Bandit 19 Pocket Cruiser

Well, I'm making some progress. Last go 'round, I bluntly asked them if they thought I was either incompetent or stupid. There was a small blowup, but it got the bad blood sorted out. The upshot is that they now know I'm not going to tolerate being ganged up on, and that they aren't going to change my mind, unless it's my choice to do so.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:39   #39

Awesome comeback! I'm definitely going to remember that one...
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:50   #40
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

good for you!!! smooth sailing..now ye gotta send them pix as you go --also get spot--they will love that.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:28   #41

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Maybe they just like your company and don't want you to be far away.

I have the unusual distinction that every member of my family is in a different part of the world. There is no place where there are people who will miss me if I'm gone for a long time, except for my kids who will soon be in college. For me, and perhaps for many more in this lifestyle, launching to the sea is pretty easy. It literally makes no difference if I am here, there , or nowhere at all. I stay equally connected to my family regardless of my physical location.

It sounds like your family is not like that.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:49   #42

Boat: 1984 Johnson Boatworks Inland Scow, 20' and a 1975 sailMFG Bandit 19 Pocket Cruiser

My brother lives in Cebu, in the Philippines. We have a branch in the PNW, Fla, Indiana, Colorado, Nor Cal.....we're scattered as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
Maybe they just like your company and don't want you to be far away.

I have the unusual distinction that every member of my family is in a different part of the world. There is no place where there are people who will miss me if I'm gone for a long time, except for my kids who will soon be in college. For me, and perhaps for many more in this lifestyle, launching to the sea is pretty easy. It literally makes no difference if I am here, there , or nowhere at all. I stay equally connected to my family regardless of my physical location.

It sounds like your family is not like that.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:38   #43
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
Well, I'm making some progress. Last go 'round, I bluntly asked them if they thought I was either incompetent or stupid. There was a small blowup, but it got the bad blood sorted out. The upshot is that they now know I'm not going to tolerate being ganged up on, and that they aren't going to change my mind, unless it's my choice to do so.
LOL.. Ok, Ride em Cowboy!! Sounds as if you have them well in hand ; -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 14:44   #44

Man.....things are really improving! All of a sudden, I have volunteer labor out the wazoo, etc. It's been a total reversal here. I guess I just needed to put my foot down.
Old 02-08-2012, 14:50   #45

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
Man.....things are really improving! All of a sudden, I have volunteer labor out the wazoo, etc. It's been a total reversal here. I guess I just needed to put my foot down.

Maybe they don't like you as much as you thought?

Maybe they want to sabotage the work?

Maybe they used the reverse psychology used on children - You know, the more they are told not to do something the more the kid is likely to do it.