Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2011, 18:30   #16

Re: Hurricane prep and jib halyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Lassoo her then quickly hoist her before she can complain.

I like it!

Surfer Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:49   #17

Boat: 1990 Irwin 43 CC
Re: Hurricane Prep and Jib Halyard

Oh Boy, that is really a good one.
If you don't want to go up, you can try to wrap a good length of velcro to another halyard (spinaker etc) , with the plastic (harder parts) sticking out, then hoist it up and try to catch the other line with the velcro. Otherwise, try to get something small and hooked, like 1/4 leaf raker or even a boathook, tie it snug to the line and try to snag it. Make sure that does not get stuck up there either
waterdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:47   #18

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

For Irene I sent my two jib halyards and spinnaker halyard up on one messenger (all taped together) and the topping lift and staysail halyard on a second. I tied the main sheets (I have a primary and secondary) about a foot apart near the back of the boom.

Everything came down just fine.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:25   #19

Boat: 1990 Irwin 43 CC

I tied the jib halyard onto the bow spirit, the spinaker halyard back to a starboard stanction base, a few feet behind the mast, and the main layard on the port side. All of them snug. I did not take off the mainsail but tightly wrapped it over the cover with a line. Everyting else, including the grill, were off. It did not occur to me that there would be a problem as long as the lines were tight.
waterdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 13:18   #20

Boat: Santana 2023 - Impulsive II

dont feel bad, after splashing my boat after the storm I put the roller furling drum on wrong. It was offset about 90 degrees. Go to unfurl, then furl in to make sure it was running smooth, thinking WTF!?! Why is it so hard to furl in?! Start cursing then a passerby walking to his boat goes.. hmm.. Thats an interesting drum setup, seems kinda silly...
E.L.Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 07:24   #21

Just tell the wife to get her azz up there. It was her stupid idea to send it up there to begin with and it is gonna damm well be her lazy azz that is gonna fix the problem... It wont get the line back doun But you will have a lot more to think about. And that line wont seem nearly as big a deal. Oh PS the kissin up that will need doin will also take up some of your spare time so you wont need to do any other nasty boat stuff.
justlearnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 08:00   #22

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
So wife and I were on the boat prepping for Irene. Took the head sail off the furler and was going to secure the halyard to the bow. But my wife says "why don't we haul it up so that it doesn't get wrapped on something". So for some reason I accepted the suggestion (because she should be obeyed).

When it was about half way up I started getting a bad feeling. Then just as it got to the top the feeling got worst and I suddenly realized why.

You guessed it; it is now up at the top of the mast with no way to pull it back down! And I feel REAL stupid now!

Hope I can rig a line using the spinnaker halyard to get it because I don't want to go up the stick so everyone in the field can see what an idiot I am.
If you have not yet recovered your halyard by another means, and you have a second halyard available, I have been able to retreve a lost halyard by attaching a boathook to the second halyard about mid-length of the hook (in the manner of a "Pig Stick") with a loop loose enough that with a little tension one can pull the shaft of the hook through the loop a bit and with a down-haul firmly attached to the bottom of the shaft. The boat hook can then be hoisted so that the hook is in the vacinity of the wayward halyard and manipulated with the down-haul and 2nd halyard until the hook is over the end of the wayward halyard. A little tension on the down-haul "sets" the hook and both halyards can then be hauled down. On a particularly tall mast you may need a "spotter" with binoculars to guide your efforts--and it does take patience--but it can be done.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halyard, hurricane