Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Forum Tech Support & Site Help
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2022, 08:53   #1

Boat: Corbin 39 (CC Pilothouse Ketch)
Bombarded by video ads that won't stop or close?

On an android phone, if I read a forum thread, eventually a video ad will start playing (loudly if my volume is up). No x to close it, and sometimes no pause button either.
Using Chrome browser (fully updated).
Anyone else struggling with this?
Patrick of M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 08:57   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Bombarded by video ads that won't stop or close?

Can't answer specifically, but I use Tapatalk on my iPad to view forums. It has ads, but nothing obnoxious, and only sporadically spaced between threads and posts. Easy to flip by them.

On my computer (mac), I run adblock. I never see any ads I don't want to. Makes the whole WWW a lot more palatable and functional.
Old 02-11-2022, 09:21   #3

Switch to Brave. (Disable Crypto functions though)
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 10:21   #4

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

I’m feeling you op. The marketing people who manage the ads think malware is okay. In the middle of thumbing a message it can bounce you off the thread discouraging you to contribute to the forum. Advertising should not be intrusive or rude. It’s a pretty negative way to establish a brand or earn interest from someone interrupting
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 13:31   #5

Boat: Macgregor 25

I’m new here, but I can already tell that I’ll never be an old member. I’m active on over a dozen forums and this is the worst I’ve ever experienced when it comes to the intrusiveness of the ads.
Wyo George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 14:57   #6

Boat: Herreshoff 36

Download Adblocker browser from Google play store. Open website cruisers forum. Problem solved.

ahun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 15:03   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Bombarded by video ads that won't stop or close?

Never had a problem.. but then I don't use the app on my phone or laptop.. it sucks.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 10:37   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyo George View Post
I’m new here, but I can already tell that I’ll never be an old member. I’m active on over a dozen forums and this is the worst I’ve ever experienced when it comes to the intrusiveness of the ads.
I too am active on multiple forums, and agree with your statement. It’s gotten so bad that I can’t even view it using the browser on my iPhone anymore. Fortunately, I do have the CF App on my phone, and that seems to work.

I guess something has to foot the cost of hosting forums such as these. I am curious what they think their ad success rate is though. I can tell you that it is 0% with me! The only successful “clicks” they are getting from me is just me fighting to close the ad!! I can see them with potential ad clients. “We have a 10% successful click rate of viewers seeking more information”. No you don’t. It’s just me a and a bunch of other ham fisted dudes madly punching at our screens trying to make that crap go away!
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 10:54   #9

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick of M View Post
On an android phone, if I read a forum thread, eventually a video ad will start playing (loudly if my volume is up). No x to close it, and sometimes no pause button either.
Its even worse on my ipad, all the ads that pop up prevent me from being able to scroll down past the 1st or 2nd post of any thread. its unuseable on Safari on ipad. In addition to that the email links for new message notification never take you to the latest message, they always 100% go to the first message, then the above problem appears so you can't actually read anything.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 13:05   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

I too have a issue with using my iPhone. The pop up ads are too much. The get into the way when your typing a message or adding to a thread. I always seem to work around the pop up ads.

I really feel I shouldn’t have to add a third party app or ad blocker to contribute to the forums or message someone.

I really feel the website needs some attention in how the ads pop up.

It’s really just my iPhone with issues. My ipad and laptop do just fine with the ads….

Doesn’t this thread topic come up every month or so??? Yes I think it does…
Sam Woodbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 13:27   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick of M View Post

Why don't you use the CF Android app? https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ledge.cruisers
LifesBetterWhenYoureBeating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 13:30   #12

Yeah the ads are horrendous however what irritates me even more are the same old people posting , day after day a lot of bad information , not so bad on this Forum Well not that great either , on the trawler forum that I think is done by the same people they have moderators that won’t allow you to criticize them , they have no problem with all the bad information that gets posted , nobody to police that , but God forbid you call somebody out that might irritate the good old boys or an advertiser , can’t talk like a regular person and I have to be politically correct and polite and who decides what is politically correct and polite the same old people day after day after day, People with tens of thousands of posts it’s like they have no other life all day long every day ruining the website
Baby tug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 13:37   #13

That is interesting. About the only time I get a pop-up ad is if I'm browsing anonymously. Once logged on the only ads I see are in the margins, or very occasionally sandwiched between two posts.

I've seen what is being described on some sites, usually the weird pop-culture sites with whacky slideshows. never on any of the social knowledge forums.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 13:44   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I access via tablet, run AdBlock Plus, never see Ads. Word from one of the administrators is that when you're using a phone, the ads shown to you are based on your browsing history. There is probably something in your settings that will clear all your cookies when you turn off your phone. Google for instructions for doing it on your particular make and model phone. Beyond that, you can use the Contact Us button to contact the administrators privately.

Ann
Old 08-11-2022, 17:04   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27

If you are browsing on a mobile device be sure to login. Logged in folks see far less advertising

Community Rules | Advertise on Cruisers Forum
Contribute to Cruisers Wiki | Document your Adventures at Sail Blogs
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote