Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2020, 07:11   #61

Re: At anchor signal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Not under command. 2 black balls
NUC indicates mechanical trouble or some unforeseen circumstance that restricts maneuverability. A single black ball shows you’re at Anchor, but all is well.

Fun fact: if you are at anchor and happen to endure a collision with a vessel underway, first thing your insurance company will ask if you were displaying the correct day shape.
Sofa King Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 07:21   #62
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
I don't have the Colregs in front of me, but I am 99% certain that NUC implies a lack of choice. It is an exceptional circumstance that requires that you are Not Under Command. Years and years ago, it was referred to as "Captain Dead", because the captain was the only one capable of operating the ship; everyone else was a landlubber. It did not mean "Captain having a nice time swimming"! That is why it is not appropriate to fly when simply taking a nap, or for singlehanders to fly when sleeping. Or eating, etc. Or swimming. It's not a parking signal, but something much more uncontrolled. And deliberately abused, it would seem.

An anchor ball is appropriate when you are fixed to the bottom, not attached to a sea anchor. That would be underway, which is not fixed to the bottom or a dock.

The best definition for the sea anchor situation would be restricted in ability to maneuver. The best choice for swimming would seem to be a dive flag.

Which suggests that lying to a sea anchor in survival conditions would be "not under command," since cutting the anchor or drogue loose is implied to be life threatening. (Agreed--swimming is different, but I believe the dive lighting applies)
Old 24-01-2020, 07:24   #63
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Does anyone actually have the additional mast lights rigged on a recreational boat?

Then I don't think the USCG actually expects them... except for diving.
Old 24-01-2020, 07:26   #64

Ah- sorry...I missed the “Sea” part of “Sea Anchor”!
Old 24-01-2020, 07:59   #65

Boat: Hunter 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery 15797 View Post
You could fly the Mike flag - 'my vessel is stopped' or the Tango flag - 'keep clear.'

However, most boaters have no clue what nautical flags mean.

I recently moved to Alabama and discovered that the AL state flag is identical to the nautical signal flag for "in need of assistance" hahahahaha
rgranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 10:25   #66

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa King Fishy View Post
NUC indicates mechanical trouble or some unforeseen circumstance that restricts maneuverability. A single black ball shows you’re at Anchor, but all is well.

Fun fact: if you are at anchor and happen to endure a collision with a vessel underway, first thing your insurance company will ask if you were displaying the correct day shape.
If you had read the OP's post you would understand that the OP was NOT at anchor but had streamed a SEA ANCHOR. There is a difference. An anchor ball under these circumstances would definitely be incorrect.
Old 24-01-2020, 12:05   #67

Boat: Bristol / 40 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmacmi View Post
When the weather is appropriate, we often put out a sea anchor and go swimming.

This seems to confuse people who are motoring in the general area. (They actually get angry)

Is there some flag or other signal I can fly to tell people I'm not moving.

I googled a little and someone said from Calder you are supposed to hang a black ball.

Alternately I could hang a diving flag and buoy, though I'm technically not diving.

What do you think?
The most appropriate flag in your situation is a dive flag up the spreader, because it's the only flag that indicates that you have people in the water and to stay clear. Even the most novice of boater's knows what a dive flag is and will stay clear.
xtream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 16:10   #68

Boat: Seawind - 1160

I believe that they are lying to a sea-anchor, they are actually not anchored but drifting. one must be made fast to the bottom to be anchored. If no one is aboard the vessel then they are not under command.
Double-Wide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, grass