Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2020, 15:57   #1

Best flower pots for a sailboat?

I recently grew some herbs (basil, thyme, rosemary, chives, oregano, & sage) and my boyfriend and I are planning on moving onto a sailboat full time. I like to paint my terracotta flower pots but I would prefer to not bring those on our boat in case they break. What are the best paintable plastic flower pots for our sailboat? Also our boat is only 26 ft long! I'd like to keep the flower pots relatively small.
Thank you!
YourMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2020, 16:08   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Best flower pots for a sailboat?

Use small terra cotta pots, but contain them with a rectangular plastic tray (a sort of window box tray). Still, have to warn you, when there is soil involved, there is always a danger of spilling. Murphy lives on boats with us. However, the general shape can be secured on a counter, or under the dodger.

Just another comment, you may be happy with only growing herbs, which tend to keep away bugs, but you'd be amazed to find that aphids and other pests WILL fly out and infest your plants. Sorry, but it's the way of the bug. If you keep close watch, you may be able to pick them all off, but if you don't, the spiders will follow the flying insects, and they'll stay as long as there's food for them (the insects).

Good luck with it, 'cause fresh herbs are lovely!

Ann
Old 28-05-2020, 16:19   #3

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Two flexible rubber buckets. Holes in one, with some clay pebbles in the other to create a small gap. I have had numerous thing in there, from ginger and chili to basil and cilantro. Currently there is cilantro, a small chili plant, and an agave that some guests I had gave me. The agave is getting to big, I may have to set it free.
At sea it is secured in the salon behind a leecloth.
Old 28-05-2020, 16:21   #4

Also you can see Sideshow Bob in the top right in the coconut. Not sure what kind of plant he is, but we transplanted him from a beach and figured he wouldn't mind the sea air. He goes under the dodger at sea though.
I can neither confirm nor deny that I sometimes talk to him on solo passages... >.>
Old 28-05-2020, 16:25   #5

The larger rubber bucket you can see on the pedestal is our daughter's bath.
Nothing but the best for Capt'ns Princess!

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat