Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2020, 10:32   #1

My first sailboat! What would you do for batteries?

I did it! I got my first sailboat, a '79 Cape Dory 27. There was definitely some help from a few members of this forum that helped me get there.

So one of the first things I have run into is that one of the two batteries in her has an internal short, so the voltage there is ~6VDC (it is a 12V battery).

I am hoping to build her up to live on her, and sail south. I am trying to decide if I should just start with replacing what is there; which is a very typical/stock battery size and electrical configuration for a 40 year old boat. Or, should I save that money and go for a more robust battery system right from the get go.

What have other's done? Or what do you wish you'd done?

Thanks,
AT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0513201014_HDR.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	436.1 KB
ID:	215295  
Atcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 11:42   #2

Re: My first sailboat! What would you do for batteries?

Attaboy Atacowboy!!!

She's beeeautiful!

I have no opinion on your electricals other than to go with the safest option. You don't want an electrical fire on board. And get an ABC fire extinguisher - if there's not a serviced, up-to-date ABC (puts out everything) already part of the ship's compliment.

Congrats! What is she called/what did you name her?
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 12:08   #3

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Congrats on the vessel!

I'm not an expert in batteries, so I can't be of much help. But, I'm sure the batteries aren't 40 years old... not that this is always the best thing to do, but I would replace with same model of battery that's already there. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm assuming a new one would actually give you the 12V you need.
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 12:47   #4

Boat: Bristol 27

My boat is a 1974 and has a two battery parallel configuration.

It's just enough power for me to run my lights, autopilot, VHF, AC Inverter, 19" HDTV, Raspberry PI 4 Computer, depth, and charge my handhelds and laptop......and to run my fan all night if needed

I keep it charged with 155 watts of solar.

The bank is just two (so-called ) deep cycle batteries hooked up in parallel that I bought from Advanced Auto. The batteries are rated at 90AH.

If I were to become a liveaboard or full time cruiser, I'd probably want double that in each battery.

My system is perfect for my weekend and vacation cruises, but I've never had to deal with day after day of little to no Sun.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 13:33   #5

Boat: Island Packet 29

Replace the batteries. Just get 2 regular flooded lead acid batteries. One "starter" battery and one "deep cycle" around 90ah. At this point you are just trying to avoid an explosion and get things operating. As long as you on shore and just day sailing, that's all you need. When I bought my boat, both batteries were bone dry. I dont know how they didn't explode.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 02:10   #6

Thomm and Rockinar (esp. Rockinar - which is a little more specific to your immediate query) have given you good advice.

I thought of something else you might find useful: Nigel Calder's Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual: How to Maintain, Repair, and Improve Your Boat's Essential Systems .

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Boo...tlyadded%3Dall

It's useful to keep on board with a copy of his "Marine Diesel Engines" ...

Fair winds!
LittleWing77
Old 19-05-2020, 02:23   #7

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Replace the batteries like for like. Then replace all of the lights, internal and nav lights with LED's. Then concentrate on enjoying sailing the boat. Upgrades will become obvious as you go along.
Lovely boat BTW
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 03:05   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Attaboy Atacowboy!!!

She's beeeautiful!

I have no opinion on your electricals other than to go with the safest option. You don't want an electrical fire on board. And get an ABC fire extinguisher - if there's not a serviced, up-to-date ABC (puts out everything) already part of the ship's compliment.

Congrats! What is she called/what did you name her?
LittleWing77
Little Wing,
Thank you! She is certainly beautiful in my eyes. Some sweat equity will make her more so. Thank you for your help. Hopefully it was work all the suspense! Lol.

My surveyor was very thorough in listing required safety equipment missing, as well as recommended, on my survey. This included updated and more fire fighting ability. He was very helpful and thorough and I would highly recommend Bravo Marine Associates (Frederick) to anyone. Thurston sails surveyed the rags (for free!) and was very patient and helpful also.

I have Nigel Calder's and Don Casey's books in print. I'm sure they will be a great a help.

When my documentation comes through she will be Cailín (Colleen).

- AT
Old 19-05-2020, 03:12   #9

Thank you for the replies everyone,

I think I will go with the majority guidance and stay will a substantially similar battery setup. This was the way I was leaning, it's always nice to have some real world input though.

-AT
Old 19-05-2020, 04:10   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atcowboy View Post
Little Wing,
Thank you! She is certainly beautiful in my eyes. Some sweat equity will make her more so. Thank you for your help. Hopefully it was work all the suspense! Lol.

My surveyor was very thorough in listing required safety equipment missing, as well as recommended, on my survey. This included updated and more fire fighting ability. He was very helpful and thorough and I would highly recommend Bravo Marine Associates (Frederick) to anyone. Thurston sails surveyed the rags (for free!) and was very patient and helpful also.

I have Nigel Calder's and Don Casey's books in print. I'm sure they will be a great a help.

When my documentation comes through she will be Cailín (Colleen).

- AT
Beautiful! Erin Go Bragh!

Yeah, I always wigg out a little when I hear the concepts "electrical" and "internal short" in the same vicinity. The season-before-last, I watched a boat burn to her waterline and sink in her slip at Outer Harbour Marina here in Toronto due to an electrical fire. Ever since, I've been really leery of old electrics and any whiff of an electrical systems failure with no firefighting capability...

Best wishes and MUCH happy sailing with your gorgeous Cailín!
LittleWing77
Old 19-05-2020, 10:09   #11

Boat: Pearson 34-2

I have to agree with everyone else. Replace what you have with the tried and true flooded lead acid. They are forgiving and economical. If you need more power, you can use 6V golf cart batteries in parallel for the house battery bank. Like mentioned earlier, best to reduce electrical consumption in the first place. On our Tartan 27-2, we found that once we went to LED lighting, especially anchor light, our one 12V battery was good for a week without being recharged. There was no 'fridge, autopilot, GPS, or any of that, just the VHF on 16 most of the time, depthfinder on when needed. Anchor light was the biggest power user.
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 10:20   #12

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred4936 View Post
I have to agree with everyone else. Replace what you have with the tried and true flooded lead acid. They are forgiving and economical. If you need more power, you can use 6V golf cart batteries in parallel for the house battery bank. Like mentioned earlier, best to reduce electrical consumption in the first place. On our Tartan 27-2, we found that once we went to LED lighting, especially anchor light, our one 12V battery was good for a week without being recharged. There was no 'fridge, autopilot, GPS, or any of that, just the VHF on 16 most of the time, depthfinder on when needed. Anchor light was the biggest power user.
I agree, however I would definitely use deep cycle golf cart batteries for the house instead of regular FLA. Cheap, easy to replace, last a long time, made for low constant loads instead of cranking to start an engine.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 10:31   #13

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

I recently replaced my flooded lead acid batts with AGM because one house batt can not be checked or filled with water every two weeks because of its location.

Surprisingly almost the same cost as old batts from NAPA, and 20% more capacity, oh did I mention you only discharge to 50% as going lower reduces the life of batts?
Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 10:52   #14

Start with this concept: Batteries are CONSUMABLES! How often you "consume" them depends on how well you treat them. How well you CAN treat them depends on what kind of sailing you do.

FLA (Flooded Lead Acid) are cheap and adequate for MOST things. "27-series" 12V "Deep Cycle" are just fine. "Deep Cycle" in goose-eyes because that is not really what they are. They are just goosed-up automotive starter batteries, but they are ADEQUATE for most kinds of sailing by a new sailor, and they are cheap.

"Treating them well" is really a matter of not ever letting them get drawn down too far. There are two aspects to that. As someone said, exchange all incandescent light bulbs with LED bulbs. In a 27 footer, don't bother with electric fridges or water makers of any other non-essential shoreside gizmo.

Having anchored out overnight and used a modest amount of "juice" for cabin lighting and your anchor light, you'll find that if you little engine has the common 40 Ampere alternator, it'll take that little beast all morning to replace what you've used overnight. So do some math. Make an "energy budget" so you have a clear picture in your head of how many ampere-hours you use in a typical 24 hour period aboard.

Don't get too excited about having a "starter" battery and a "house" battery. To start your little diesel (providing it's in good shape) takes so little juice that the battery will hardly know it, regardless of what you call that battery.

After you've spent money on all new LED lights, if you have more money to spend, invest in a really GOOD "intelligent" battery charger that you can plug in to the shore. Your boat, at least for now, is likely to be spending more time alongside than at sea. When you are alongside and plugged in to the shoreside supply with an "intelligent" charger minding the batteries, they will last for years - even cheap ones. When you are at sea, YOU supply the intelligence :-)!

And once you spend more time at sea than alongside, but not before, will come the time to think about, and learn about, Solar Power, and more sophisticated battery chemistries.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 11:13   #15

Boat: Bristol 27

Everyone does things differently but in the world we are used to today, plan on needing power most all the time.

I have no alternator on my 5 hp outboard which is my boat's main auxilary engine.

I am never hooked up to shore power either so my two 12 volt batteries that I have in parallel have to supply all power.

I have take them as low as 11.8 volts on numerous occasions since I run a fan all night when anchored out.

My anchor light is an LED Lantern so that isn't a problem.

Computer, HDTV, Raspbery PI, and phone is power by the batteries thru a 400 watt AC Inverter. I have a 1500 watt AC inverter that I haven't hooked up yet

Cabin lights are LED (after 8 years of using the old incandescent lights)

Running lights are still incandescent.

I have a 12 volt fan and a 102 volt ac fan and don't see much savings with the 12 volt fan

I try and charge everything in the peak Sun hours when my solar is at it's best

Next time I replace the batteries will be decision time on whther I go with 6 volt or 12 volt batteries. I'll probably go with 12 volt but they will be higher rated than the 90 ah flooded batteries I have now.

Plus I sometime am running two computer etc
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, boat, sail, sailboat