Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2020, 10:53   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Roberts 38 Steel Ketch - Sarasota area.

Some time back, 2009 and later, there was a poster on this board..."Rusty Pirate" that was in the process of rebuilding a steel Roberts 38 somewhere in the Sarasota area.

I'm trying to see if anyone on this board knows the whereabouts of that boat.

That's my old boat, which I built back in the early 80's and I'm trying to see if I can locate the old girl again.

Any help would be appreciated.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 14:53   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Roberts 38 Steel Ketch - Sarasota area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Some time back, 2009 and later, there was a poster on this board..."Rusty Pirate" that was in the process of rebuilding a steel Roberts 38 somewhere in the Sarasota area.

I'm trying to see if anyone on this board knows the whereabouts of that boat.

That's my old boat, which I built back in the early 80's and I'm trying to see if I can locate the old girl again.

Any help would be appreciated.

What make of motor did it have? What ballast?
coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 17:24   #3
Marine Service Provider

The boat was originally built as a ketch, but without an engine....yeah...I know...but I was broke and it didn't stop me from going anywhere.....it sailed remarkably well without all the propulsion gear to slow it down..

In later years, I added a 28 hp Volvo 2002 series diesel engine.....and that engine is still in the boat...near as I can make out from the photo's that " Rusty Pirate" posted

Ballast was mostly lead with some steel punchings mixed in...around 6,500 lbs if my memory still holds..

I started building it in 1979...and launched it in 1980, and it was my home for about 15 years.

A young couple that eventually bought it, moved it to a farm near Tallahassee, where they proceeded to do some upgrades.

Those people eventually sold it to " Rusty Pirate" , I'm thinking in the 2009 time line, and he had that had the boat moved/trailered to the Sarasota area.

" Rusty Pirate" then embarked on a major refit and often posted about his progress on this forum. From what I've seen of the photo's that he posted, the boat is still in remarkably excellent condition. The boat was originally built as a center cockpit but " Rusty Pirate" was in the process of making it into an aft cockpit, which is what it should have been in the first place.

" Rusty Pirate" wanted to change the name to "Hagane" .....the original name was "Trekker".

I've heard that " Rusty Pirate" has since passed away, but I have no details of this. " Rusty Pirate" often posted on this forum , but stopped doing so, some years back.

I've had my daughter sleuth around the website as she wanted to track the boat down, but we don't know where the boat is.

I've googled Sarasota area boat yards and there are several there, so it could be anywhere.

From what I've seen, the boat has been painted white with an unusual yellow stern section.

I've attached a photo of where the boat was last seen and it may jog someone's memory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23331143366_05e24c2cbf_c.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	421.0 KB
ID:	209966  
Old 03-03-2020, 17:43   #4
Marine Service Provider

I have added another photo showing the unusual yellow stern as seen from the aft of the boat looking forward.

The photo also show a view of the boat yard, if anyone might recognize that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9081297158_a53f36b7ba_b.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	209971  
Old 04-03-2020, 11:53   #5

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

I hope you can locate her. You might try setting up a recurring automatic search, for her particulars, on some boat listing websites. At the minimum, you know she's likely out doing what she was built to do.

You might also come across something like her twin out there. Chapter 2. Good luck-
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 17:16   #6
Marine Service Provider

Well, I've thought of going to Sarasota and perusing the various boatyards there to see if I can find the boat, or somebody that might recognize where it might be.

The boat had been undergoing a major overhaul, so not clear on what the current status might be.

It could be a " work in progress" or more advanced....not sure. " Rusty Pirate" had thoughts about taking the boat to Antartica.

I know who " Rusty Pirate" is....ie, I know his name, but little else.

I'm not sure what my emotions would be to see the old gal again. A part of me wants to get 'er shipshape ready for sea again...but realistically speaking.....I dunno.....I'm on social security now, to give you an idea of my age.....but still going strong...yeah...I could do it...might not be as easy as when I was in my 20's....but I think I can do it...wait....I know I could do it !!! I still have most all of my tools.....a little sharpening here and there...some new drill bits....who knows... ??? I have a new welder now, hmmmm......????

There was a time when I was in touch with other Roberts 38 builders, but those memories have all been swallowed up in the mists of time.

That Roberts 38 was a great boat, maybe not the fastest steed in town, but I could...and did....take it anywhere..yep, a sweet ride :-)

Tags
ketch, sarasota, steel