Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2017, 05:38   #1

pirate HR 49 or Jeanneau 49 ?

Hi everyone,

SO, I got the approval for my sabbatical, starting from July 2018 for 12 months!

With my family (wife + 2 kids age 8 and 10) I will be sailing in Med first (starting from Rome), then we do ARC+ and go Caribbean until May 2019 or so...

Now, given our budget, we have the following options:

A) Sun Odyssey 49i from 2011, with generator, water maker, lots of sails, very good conditions, new deck in teak, air conditioning, modern electronics, etc...

B) Hallberg Rassy 49 from 1987 (version sloop with reckmann rigging), with generator, and lot of sails. However the entire deck in teak should be re-done, the watermaker does not work, there's no bowtruster, electronics is old, no freezer. The interiors are wonderful and very well kept. There's a platform in the stern that can be used to go in the water, quite comfortable (but not as practical as the SO 49). Let's say all-in-all it is in quite good conditions, but there's a need to invest 50k€ to put it in very good shape.

The cost for solution A), once the (few) additional equipment is installed (solar panels,...), would be around 170k€

The cost for solution B), once the (MANY) additional equipment is installed (solar panels, new deck in teak, radar, AIS, watermaker revised, solar panels, etc...), would be around 200k€

Last but not least, we may think about re-selling the boat after one year, when we will be in Caribbean area, and fly back to Europe. I thought that a HR 49 in very good shape could be quite attractive for the market in NA and I thought I could maybe cash back approx what I have paid it for, but I'm not sure...

So, what do you think about this dilemma? A or B? Why?

Many thanks for your help!!
peppepep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:50   #2
cruiser

Re: HR 49 or Jeanneau 49 ?

Buy the Sun Odyssey 49 visit Corsica and Sardinia, then sail east to Croatia and Greece. You'll probably never want to go back to work for more than six months per year after that. Keep the boat... problem solved.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:58   #3

Boat: Catalina 470

The Jeanneau-Sun-Odyssey. The old boats old, you are short of time and you will spend more than you think. It's seriously a no brainer to me. The Jeanneau will sail great, low(er) upkeep and you will have less money invested in it. It will do the job in every way.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:58   #4

It's a pretty easy decision in my view. If your in it for the short haul and just doing one fairly easy ocean crossing with some time in the Caribbean I'd go with the Jeanneau. Modern boat that will appeal to a large audience when you resell in a year that is described as ready to go and it might be for such a short trip.
If I was going to go cruising for an unlimited time with tons of sailing in front of me I might very well choose the HR as long as the base boat was in excellent condition. The HR will probably hold its value longer as it's a much higher quality and better constructed boat but to your typical purchaser in NA or Caribbean the Jeanneau would hold its value in the really short term which is all you need. Good luck either way.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:27   #5

Boat: Lagoon 400

For a short term ownership go with the Jeanneau.
The other is a 'project boat' - it will be nice for somebody who is in for a serious refit and will certainly cost more than you budget (it is always so...).
Old 01-12-2017, 09:29   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 54 DS

I have been told that reteaking a big deck like that would be closer to $100k at the cheapest in Turkey and would take months. There is a lot of usable space in the Jeanneau and a cabin for each kid. A 6 year old boat that passes survey will go the distance without needing much repair. A 30 year old boat needs new rigging and anything could and will break. Go with the Jeanneau...but then I am biased. Fair winds, following seas, live the dream!
bjymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:49   #7

The Jeanneau, only because of the age difference.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:57   #8

A

The software wouldn't let me just type the A

It's a choice, not a dilemma.

Easy choice.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:01   #9

Crewed a Jeanneau 49 from the south pacific to Honolulu - spectacular boat!
If you want to sail don't get a project boat. You'll have plenty to tinker with anyway....
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:01   #10

Boat: Malö 40H

The HR is IMHO is in principle a „better“ boat but one that needs a lot more money than you think so that it can be something that is still not going to be as enjoyable to your family as the Jeanneau. If you factor your family’s enjoyment and a more palatable financial hit.. I would also buy the Jeanneau. Easier to resell as well probably.
crankysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:09   #11

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 49

I have owned a 2006 Jeanneau SO49 since new, 11 years. Did ARC in 2007 cruised Caribbean eventually returning to Greece. In 2013 I did the ARC again and as part of a circumnavigation continued through Panama Canal trans-Pacific to Australia and now in New Zealand. I have encountered no major problems. Sails well, plenty of space and great swim platform for the kids! In your situation, time frame and budget I would definitely recommend the Jeanneau 49. Good luck!
Golden-Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:54   #12

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

No brainer. The HR49 has to go way down in price to beat the SO49.

Refit on a old boat will be endless and will cost at least twice your initiale estimate. Ask anybody that did a refit, they will all confirm that dirty secret. Teak deck is a nightmare to replace. Strip it and replace with non skid Awlgrip paint for instance. Teak is cosmetic only anyway.
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:17   #13

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

I think . the HR you are looking at has beeen for sale for at least 4 years.

Unless they give it to you, go Jeanneau.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:41   #14

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

I faced the same dilema 4 years ago and after talking to countless people, reading multiple articles, sailing a few possibilities the Jeanneau 49 was hands down was far and away a light years better boat both in short term and long term ownership.
I bought it 8 years old ( for a lot less than $170) sailed it as is no repairs for 4 months. As opposed to buying a boat thats 30 years old, doesnt sail as well or have modern systems, equipment, and needs expensive repairs for any price!
You only have a year, don't spend it fixing an old boat.
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 16:39   #15

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

Everyone else has already rightly said get the Jeanneau. Bluntly, I suspect that the only reason you are even thinking about the HR has to do with brand rather than logic.

The only thing that I would add, and that is from personal experience, is that the 49DS is a much better built boat than the 49i. It will cost you more but the difference is chalk and cheese.

I keep my 49DS in the Med and even if the HR were the same price I would not have it. It is a northern waters boat. Not a sunshine one. If you want to litmus test that just think about getting onto each when moored stern to.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeanneau