Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2020, 10:07   #1

Boat: Morgan 30 Classic
Pearsons: 424 vs 422

Hi folks. I'm looking for an informed comparison between these two. I know the 424 is solid glass hull, cored decks. I'm thinking the 422 is cored hull and decks?

Both boats seem to offer a lot of the variable we are looking for in a live aboard, and the price is right on what I have seen for sale.

Other than the vintage, what specifics do I have to watch out for in either vessel? Why do you love, or hate them.

Once again, thanks for the insights.
Dave
Dpackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 10:43   #2

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
Re: Pearsons: 424 vs 422

I don't know too much about them, but I thought it was the same hull, and just different deck plan/layouts.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 10:50   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
I don't know too much about them, but I thought it was the same hull, and just different deck plan/layouts.
I appears you may be correct. The slight differences in LOA threw me off. So was pearson still making solid glass hulls through the 80s?
Noticed this on my second glance through sailboatdata. "Notes
Built for the charter trade in 1972. The PEARSON 419, 424 and 422 all derived from this hull design."
So all these hulls are solid glass, no core?
Thanks again.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:01   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

same hull, 424 is aft cockpit verizon and the 422 is center cockpit verizon
Old 02-09-2020, 11:02   #5

That, I don't know. Sorry.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:04   #6

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Hull is solid hand laid glass, deck is balsa cored.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 11:19   #7

Thanks. How do they sail? I have read folks mention that the Morgan OI sail poorly, and is not a real off shore boat on these forums. How does this hull compare? I know neither are going to break any records on passage, and comfort is high on our list of priorities, but I am a sailor at heart and appreciate what an extra knot, or few degrees pointing might give you on a long passage.

If it were go-time for us, I'd be jumping at something like this...
https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/76266
Old 02-09-2020, 11:32   #8

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

The Pearson should have more sailing performance than a Morgan Out Island 41
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 11:37   #9

I have no personal experience with either, but I'm trying to remember what I read about them when I was beginning to absorb as much info as I could about cruising boats. The two things that stick out in my memory is that a lot of people prefer the 422 for the center cockpit, but many say the 424 is a better "sailor's" boat, with the aft cockpit and reduced cabin top weight. The other thing is that there is a deep bilge that goes all the way down a portion of the keel, which you have to be careful about when blocking the boat up on the hard. Some owners have added fiberglass to the bottom to try to reinforce it, but I doubt that would do much if the weight of the boat is blocked on that section.

Here is a link to a useful thread, you can probably try contacting some of the people on it.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...el-186986.html
Old 02-09-2020, 11:41   #10

We have a 1983 Pearson 424 ketch that we bought for 48k with a dinghy and motor back in 2015.

We have since sailed her about 4000nm during summers in the Northeastern US.

She has the biggest most comfy cockpit of any 42' boat I've ever been on... which is where we spend 90% of time aboard, so I love that.

She's spacious down below (we are a "C" layout with two heads), and she feels very safe in big and heavy conditions.

She has an encapsulated keel (no keel bolts to worry about). I've come to love the ketch sail plan for its adaptability.

The owners forum is full of very helpful and experienced cruising folks - www.pearson424.org

She's very fast, so our "weekend getaway" range from NYC is much further than most of our friend's boats, which inspires some "range jealousy." We get about 7kts cruising at 1800rpm under motor, 8+ if the wind is really blowing.

Her past owners cruised her everywhere from Greenland to Venezuela, and we've met several full time live aboard world cruisers on their 424's.

If I could change one thing, I'd make her point higher in light winds. But then I think about how I would have felt on a lighter boat when we got walloped by tropical storm Isaiahs this year and I'm glad we had her.

I thought the P424 represented the best value (capability vs price) in a long range cruising boat, which is why I bought one.

Oh, and I get compliments on how pretty she is all the time. Apply your best New England accent to this: "That's a sawlid boat my friend... a byootiful sawlid boat." I think so too
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 11:47   #11

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Checked these few years ago, mainly interested in the sloop/cutter 422 vs the 424.

Very well built hulls. All the boats I’ve seen had deck leaks, At different levels of severity, especially around the chain plates, hatches etc.. I’m sure that well maintained boats should not have any.

You get an above average of living volume (but less than Mostly more expensive other center cockpit boats of the same size and era, with large queen bed at the aft master cabin) for your money and again, if well maintained and equipped should be above the average for comfort on the hook/docking or during passage.

Depending on the running rigging and deck hardware upgrades, the boat is quite easy to handle for a couple offshore sailing. However, don’t expect her to be fast at anything below 15kts but do expect a relative comfort and safety.

Best of luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpackie View Post
Thanks. How do they sail? I have read folks mention that the Morgan OI sail poorly, and is not a real off shore boat on these forums. How does this hull compare? I know neither are going to break any records on passage, and comfort is high on our list of priorities, but I am a sailor at heart and appreciate what an extra knot, or few degrees pointing might give you on a long passage.

If it were go-time for us, I'd be jumping at something like this...
https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/76266
Old 02-09-2020, 12:54   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
We have a 1983 Pearson 424 ketch that we bought for 48k with a dinghy and motor back in 2015.

I thought the P424 represented the best value (capability vs price) in a long range cruising boat, which is why I bought one.
This is what I am coming to realize. While there are other interesting boats, your comments plus availability of many well kept examples are leading me here as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeValency View Post
Checked these few years ago, mainly interested in the sloop/cutter 422 vs the 424.

Very well built hulls. All the boats I’ve seen had deck leaks, At different levels of severity, especially around the chain plates, hatches etc.. I’m sure that well maintained boats should not have any!
True with any boat of any quality with age, yes? I seem to remember chain plates, ports and hatches being "areas of interest" on my Dad's Bristol and Able once a boat starts to get on in years.

Thanks for the link to the owner's page. I think my next step is to get on some, as crew.

Once again, this place ROCKS!
Hard to imagine feeling good about shopping used boats without cruiser's forums!
Dave
Old 03-09-2020, 10:26   #13

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

https://pearsonyachts.org/models/pearson-424.html

https://pearsonyachts.org/models/pearson-422.html

Pearson made a great product. Excellent coastal cruisers and easily beefed up to "blue water" boats. The 424, 422, 323 and 303 were all built as cruisers. Solid hulls, balsa cored decks, encapsulated ballasts. Decent speeds, very forgiving boats.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:13   #14

Boat: Pearson 424

We love our 424 cutter. Although we don’t sail it much right now we have been living on it for 5 years. The layout is great for a couple and for having guests. The pilot berth is very comfortable for sleeping two with companionway access to the HUGE cockpit. The additional forward companionway hatch allows occupants in the main saloon to enter and exit the boat without disrupting occupants of the pilot berth.
It is a medium displacement hull so it moves in lighter winds but carries enough weight to ride smoothly in choppy waters. My only experience sailing a 424 is with the cutter, it’s light on the helm on a close reach and pretty much sails itself. They’re not great maneuvering in close quarters with the hung rudder. Prop walk is your friend for sure!
This was the second 424 for the original owner, he ordered it from the factory and had some minor changes made.
There is another 424 at my marina and it’s that owners second 424 as well.
Spindrift NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 13:45   #15

sounds like the 424is an ideal live aboard
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pearson