Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2020, 17:45   #1

Water Leak on Pearson 36-2

I have a 1985 Pearson 36-2 and have been experiencing a leak while under motor only. There does not appear to be any water coming from the engine or vicinity. For some time I thought it was water "misting" from the dripless stuffing box as the water seems to first accumulate in the shallow sump under the stuffing box. After having done extensive adjustments and repairs to the stuffing box and closely check where the water enters, it seems to be coming from somewhere in the aft section of the boat as there seems to be s small stream of water coming forward through an aft limber hole, ONLY under motor power. It occurs to me that it might be an exhaust water leak but I have not ventured into the small space accessible through the post aft locker. Any thoughts?

Mike Mck
mckendym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 18:26   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Water Leak on Pearson 36-2

Rudder packing?

The stern squats while under power.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 19:15   #3

Re: Water Leak on Pearson 36-2

I had a frustratingly similar leak that took me about two months to track down. It ended up being the vent for my propane locker which sits just at the water line while underway under motor. In a following sea water would be pushed against it and slowly leaked in.

Check all your stern fittings especially those that sit under water while moving. On my boat at hull speed we squat about 12-15 inches at the stern. In my case the leak was around the sides not from a loose hose.
SurlySailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pearson, water