Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2019, 05:31   #1

Boat: Hanse 531
Suggestions for Next Dream Boat?

Cheers,

After a happy first season with our new Hanse 388, I can't resist looking a few years into the future to see if there could be a "next boat" there somewhere.

The dream is to cross an ocean and get to sail in the Bahamas. My co-captain says we won't do it without equipment to wash clothes and dishes, and a good shower, so there's that.

We've been looking at the whole Hanse range (508 and up), Beneteau's new First 53, Privilege Catamarans 510 & 580, and the Outremers (5x and the upcoming 55).

We're going to the boat show in Düsseldorf in January. Any jewels we should make sure not to miss?

The final budget is a big question mark, but the dream budget is obviously more flexible
Old 12-11-2019, 06:28   #2

Re: Suggestions for Next Dream Boat?

I'll just add that there seems to be 86 different monohull manufacturers and 29 different multihull manufacturers at the Düsseldorf show, so quite a few to pick from.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:03   #3

We are most likely heading over to check out some boats as well. The boats on our current short list are: Privilege's new 510, FP47, Leopoard 50P, Leopard 45, Seawind 1600, Oyster 565, Amel 50/55, Balance 526.

Because we want to do some higher latitude sailing as well we may end up with a monohull, up into Sweden and Norway it gets a little more challenging to have a cat. Hard telling though, something else might really catch our eye, or be an incredible deal once we pull the trigger.
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:22   #4

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

I just made this same recommendation on another thread (trust me I’m not a dealer LOL) but seeing your options above how about a compromise. Check out a Nordhaven 56. Let me know what your thoughts are.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:45   #5

That's funny you mentioned that, we've been checking out the Nordhavn 60 and 63 recently as well, but have not yet spent time on them. The motorsailer 56 is a cool option, but no real knowledge yet on them yet.

The thing that makes me hesitant on these and the mono's is the 6'8" draft. I've been plenty of spots over the years where this would be really limiting. Maybe a Southerly 480/540 with variable draft is the way to go...decisions decisions!
Old 12-11-2019, 09:02   #6

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
We are most likely heading over to check out some boats as well. The boats on our current short list are: Privilege's new 510, FP47, Leopoard 50P, Leopard 45, Seawind 1600, Oyster 565, Amel 50/55, Balance 526.

Because we want to do some higher latitude sailing as well we may end up with a monohull, up into Sweden and Norway it gets a little more challenging to have a cat. Hard telling though, something else might really catch our eye, or be an incredible deal once we pull the trigger.

A big monohull (High 40' and above) is about as difficult in Norway as a cat... you'll wont find many slips for visiting boats- you'll be side tying everywhere- so it then doesn't matter if your in a cat or mono just overall length.

Enjoy Norway... it's a lot like Georgian Bay in Canada if you want a preview.

Matt
Old 13-11-2019, 02:05   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
A big monohull (High 40' and above) is about as difficult in Norway as a cat... you'll wont find many slips for visiting boats- you'll be side tying everywhere- so it then doesn't matter if your in a cat or mono just overall length.

Enjoy Norway... it's a lot like Georgian Bay in Canada if you want a preview.

Matt
In Sweden + Finland pretty much the same. It's very rare to see cats here and most people prefer boats < 40' for the archipelago. And draft max in the 2m (6-7') neighbourhood.

That being said, I think a cat would work wonderfully here. You'd just have to anchor out and use a dinghy. Getting into crowded harbours (mostly stern buoy/anchor) with a big boat, without scratches and curses, is stressful, so one problem less.
Old 13-11-2019, 06:58   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
In Sweden + Finland pretty much the same. It's very rare to see cats here and most people prefer boats < 40' for the archipelago. And draft max in the 2m (6-7') neighbourhood.

That being said, I think a cat would work wonderfully here. You'd just have to anchor out and use a dinghy. Getting into crowded harbours (mostly stern buoy/anchor) with a big boat, without scratches and curses, is stressful, so one problem less.
I have learned first hand the "fun" of crowded harbors in Sweden, we sailed in to Marstrand a couple of months ago in very nasty weather. Just happened to be the same weekend of the boat show there. We had rented a slip months in advance, so when we see where our slip was and how tight it was to get into it we were scratching our heads. We had a 25mph cross wind going about 10 boats deep with docks on both sides. Our boat was a 42' Beneteau, the distance between the boats tied up from one dock to another was maybe 45' less in most cases with larger sailboats tied up. Complicate that with large boats at the entrance having anchor lines out, it was by far the tightest situation I have ever been in at the extreme of my admitted beginner capabilities. To add extra excitement, it being boat show preparation day there were no shortage of an audience lol. By some miracle and with the help of bow thrusters I was able to thread the needle, only because I went bow in and into the wind.

Thankfully the other harbors we went to were not nearly as crowded. (Hunnebostrand/Fiskebiksil/Lyseskil) and we anchored out a few times in some protected areas in the fjords. What a spectacular area to sail! I need to learn how to anchor into the rocks though with a stern anchor. My previous trip when I wasn't the captain we did, but on my own with significant wind this time I didn't trust that option. Hoping to get to explore so much more of Scandinavia, having a Swedish wife as an interpreter helps too!
Old 13-11-2019, 10:03   #9

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
Cheers,

After a happy first season with our new Hanse 388, I can't resist looking a few years into the future to see if there could be a "next boat" there somewhere.

The dream is to cross an ocean and get to sail in the Bahamas. My co-captain says we won't do it without equipment to wash clothes and dishes, and a good shower, so there's that.

We've been looking at the whole Hanse range (508 and up), Beneteau's new First 53, Privilege Catamarans 510 & 580, and the Outremers (5x and the upcoming 55).

We're going to the boat show in Düsseldorf in January. Any jewels we should make sure not to miss?

The final budget is a big question mark, but the dream budget is obviously more flexible
Heck, you haven't mentioned Swan (in your own backyard) or Hallberg Rassey, Fajad and Malo (all located on the island of Oorst off the southwest coast of Sweden.)

These are all well respected "live aboard" capable, go anywhere (except the ice) cruisers and you could even have a washer/dryer unit. While they're all on the pricier end you'd be hard pressed to find anything nicer.

I can't understand why anybody would want to go into the ice with all the great ice free places to explore
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 10:29   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
I need to learn how to anchor into the rocks though with a stern anchor. My previous trip when I wasn't the captain we did, but on my own with significant wind this time I didn't trust that option. Hoping to get to explore so much more of Scandinavia, having a Swedish wife as an interpreter helps too!
Congrats for the good interpreter!

The rocks and stern anchor is dicey as well

It looks great in Instagram () but we haven't done that either, with the new boat. It needs a somewhat courageous and knowledgable bow person as well, first to safely make the jump ashore, then to find some good attachment points. Some places are much easier than others, of course, and may even have iron rings put into the rocks.
Old 13-11-2019, 10:30   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
Heck, you haven't mentioned Swan (in your own backyard) or Hallberg Rassey, Fajad and Malo (all located on the island of Oorst off the southwest coast of Sweden.)

These are all well respected "live aboard" capable, go anywhere (except the ice) cruisers and you could even have a washer/dryer unit. While they're all on the pricier end you'd be hard pressed to find anything nicer.

I can't understand why anybody would want to go into the ice with all the great ice free places to explore
True! We will have to check the Swans and Rassys, Najads and Malös! Arcona might be there also.
Old 13-11-2019, 12:04   #12

Boat: Contest 50CS

i would check out Contest Yachts.. I am very happy with mine
sailone3032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 12:25   #13

Boat: Catalina 320

Our current dreamboat is built in Germany, little chance we'll ever have an opportunity to even see one. Take a look if they are at the boat show, semi custom interiors and 5 different keel options.
https://www.sirius-werft.de/wpsirius...rospekt_En.pdf
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 12:35   #14

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Possibly cheaper than all the suggestions, certainly any Nordhavn and likely more capable

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...no-20-3495698/
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 22:11   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
Our current dreamboat is built in Germany, little chance we'll ever have an opportunity to even see one. Take a look if they are at the boat show, semi custom interiors and 5 different keel options.
https://www.sirius-werft.de/wpsirius...rospekt_En.pdf
They are at the show! Sirius 35 DS & Sirius 40 DS models there.

Tags
boat