Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2019, 14:17   #1

Insuring Aus registered boat

Good morning all,

Apologies if this has been done to death somewhere else - I have read some insurance threads, but, they haven't covered my situation.

I am going to register a boat which is in England as an Australian registered ship/boat. The owner (me) is Australian.

I am asking people if they know of any Australian companies who will insure an Australian registered boat -

my preferance is for an Australian company - but, not necessarily so - so, if you are insured with an overseas company for an Aussie boat - please let me know also.

doesn't really matter if they are Aussie or English or somewhere else

I have so far only one taker in Australia - Pantaenious - but, it's the highest quote I have got - unfortuately, the only quote I have got as an Aussie boat.

So - can anyone give some names of companies please - please forget suggestions if you don't know if they do or don't - like eg. Club Marine - because many of them just won't do it at all.

The boat has recent survey and the skipper has never had a claim in 45 years experience, non smoker, drinker no drugs.

the boat will be in UK waters, internal and coastal Europe

We are only talking about a small boat - 26 foot motorsailer, value 10,000 pounds -------- so far the quote is over $800 - which I thought was high.

thanks all

have a great day.

ps, if you are wondering why I don't keep it British - I will not comply to be on the SSR
Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 14:29   #2

Re: Insuring Aus registered boat

You can still have UK registration. Easy if you have a UK address but if not, you can just use a representative.
cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 14:31   #3

Boat: Lightwave 45 catamaran

As an Australian registered boat I believe your only choice in Europe is either pantaenius or topsail. There is a rule that Australian registered ships have to be insured with an Australian insurance group . We are with Topsail as I liked the wording of the policy.
xbillaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 14:34   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbillaroo View Post
As an Australian registered boat I believe your only choice in Europe is either pantaenius or topsail. There is a rule that Australian registered ships have to be insured with an Australian insurance group . We are with Topsail as I liked the wording of the policy.

thanks - I will get on to them straight away.

I was worried about the lack of choice (as well as the price so far)
Old 10-10-2019, 14:35   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj88 View Post
You can still have UK registration. Easy if you have a UK address but if not, you can just use a representative.

cj - I do NOT comply with the rules for British registration ------ end of story

I have been in touch with the SSR -------- the 185 day rule at least knocks me out.
Old 10-10-2019, 14:38   #6

Boat: currently boatless

pinto,
try Topsail. Originally starting in the UK they have offices in Australia (WA and NSW) You may have more luck with them as they cover a lot of international cruising boats.

Greg H
Lagoon 440
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 14:41   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinto View Post
cj - I do NOT comply with the rules for British registration ------ end of story

I have been in touch with the SSR -------- the 185 day rule at least knocks me out.
Can you expand on the 185 day rule? When I contacted them there was no mention of this.
Old 10-10-2019, 14:48   #8

Quote:
Can you expand on the 185 day rule? When I contacted them there was no mention of this.

here is the information - could we now drop this subject please, so it doesn't derail the thread further

The UK Ship Register
You can register your boat with the UK Ship Register for use at sea.

Part III registration
Register your boat on the Part III (Small Ships Register) if you want to prove the boat’s nationality when sailing outside UK waters.

It costs £35 for 5 years.

To be eligible:

your boat must be less than 24 metres long
you must be a private individual (not a company)
you must live in the UK for at least 185 days of the year
your boat must have a name
For more information, read the full guidance notes.
Old 10-10-2019, 14:48   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
pinto,

try Topsail. Originally starting in the UK they have offices in Australia (WA and NSW) You may have more luck with them as they cover a lot of international cruising boats.

Greg H

Lagoon 440

Yep. Topsail. When all the others wouldn’t accept a 2017 survey as current, they had no problems. So easy to deal with.
Ssas5342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 14:51   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssas5342 View Post
Yep. Topsail. When all the others wouldn’t accept a 2017 survey as current, they had no problems. So easy to deal with.

for the benefit of members here - I will report the result from topsail -

they are going to get a rep. to call me

thanks to all so far

so far - it seems Pantaneious and Topsail

any others please?????
Old 10-10-2019, 15:17   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
In any event the provisions of the commonwealth Navigation Act 2012 require the registration of the vessel before it leaves its current port for any other international, i.e. non Australian port. It is not a choice its a requirement, and given we are talking about insurance here you would be very wise to ask your insurance company if they will still cover you if you breach the registration requirement. The OP is an Australian National, the vessel is required to have Australian Reg.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 15:23   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
In any event the provisions of the commonwealth Navigation Act 2012 require the registration of the vessel before it leaves its current port for any other international, i.e. non Australian port. It is not a choice its a requirement, and given we are talking about insurance here you would be very wise to ask your insurance company if they will still cover you if you breach the registration requirement. The OP is an Australian National, the vessel is required to have Australian Reg.

there's a load of reasons beyond being able to comply with the SSR in the first place to be Aussie registered as far as I can see.

the only real problems with being Aussie registered are

1. Mainly - insurance and lack of choice
2. we have enemies - so, before going back several decades - almost all were Aussie friendly - now, not quite so - but, enough to make it worth it IMO - particularly in France

the biggest issue by far is choice of insurers and cost -- I look forward to seeing Topsails quote
Old 10-10-2019, 17:30   #13

Boat: 50' aluminium power cat

We have a vessel currently in UK, Australian registered as we're native antipodeans. Topsail was the best quote and conditions. There are few options for international Australian registered pleasure vessels for insurance .
mcarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 18:19   #14

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbillaroo View Post
There is a rule that Australian registered ships have to be insured with an Australian insurance group .
Really?
Never heard that before.
Have you a link to that information please?
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:16   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinto View Post
here is the information - could we now drop this subject please, so it doesn't derail the thread further

The UK Ship Register
You can register your boat with the UK Ship Register for use at sea.

Part III registration
Register your boat on the Part III (Small Ships Register) if you want to prove the boat’s nationality when sailing outside UK waters.

It costs £35 for 5 years.

To be eligible:

your boat must be less than 24 metres long
you must be a private individual (not a company)
you must live in the UK for at least 185 days of the year
your boat must have a name
For more information, read the full guidance notes.
I'm not trying to derail the thread but just to clarify, you are correct that Part 3 does require a minimum 185 days but Part 1 does not. As an Australian you are eligible for Part 1 registration and that would open up a lot more choice of potential insurers. Yes, it costs more to register for Part 1 than for Part 3 and you will also require a tonnage survey which can be arranged through the RYA but it is still cheaper than Australian registration.

You will need the following:

Application form
Declaration of Eligibility
Title Evidence spanning the last 5 years (Bills of Sale or Builders Certificate)
Copy of Certificate of Incorporation (If owned by a company)
Deletion Certificate (If currently registered on foreign register)
Certificate of Survey for Tonnage and Measurement, this has to be issued within the last 12 months by a Surveyor who is a member of a classification society (£145.00 under 15m and £185.00 over 15m through the RYA)
A UK address or a UK representative.
Fee of £153

Just something to consider.

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-boat/the-uk-ship-register

Tags
boat