Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2019, 09:04   #1

Boat: 2010 Leopard 46
Mexico TIP and Boat in an LLC with new owners

I am buying an LLC whose only possession is a boat. It is in the US and I will have the right LLC papers and US Coast Guard docs. I will be the 3rd owner. The first owner obtained a Mexico Temporary Import Permit that expires December 2020. The second owner has no idea if the TIP was ever cancelled. I read this in a document for people doing the Baja HaHa:

A TIP remains recorded with the foreign vessel identified in the permit and will not be transferred to another owner. In fact, without cancellation of TIP by the original permit holder, a new owner of any TIP-registered vessel can never be issued a new TIP, even if the old TIP is expired.

Given that the boat is still owned by the LLC and we (wife & I) are the members (owners) of the LLC, are we OK? The TIP does have the LLC name, but the first owner is listed as the "Importatdor". I am concerned that a customs official will see the first owner's name and not be OK with the TIP.

Any advice?
Looking4Neptune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 09:23   #2

Boat: PDQ 36
Re: Mexico TIP and Boat in an LLC with new owners

I don't know about the first owner's name still being on the TIP, but I had the same situation (LLC owning the boat). When checking in to Mexico and getting my TIP I needed a letter from the LLC authorizing me to bring the boat into Mexico. It also had to be notarized. Yes, a letter from myself authorizing me to bring the boat into Mexico.

Where are you going to check into Mexico? The marinas in Ensenada are very familiar with the check in/TIP process and might be able to give you better information.
KiminAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 10:06   #3

Boat: 2010 Leopard 46
Re: Mexico TIP and Boat in an LLC with new owners

KiminAK - We plan to head to Mexico with the Baja HaHa about a year from now.
Looking4Neptune is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Mexico