Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2019, 04:29   #1

~30ft blue water boat ~25kusd Mexico/Carribean/Florida

Well, I've done the easy bit and booked a flight from Australia... now i just need to hand in my resignation and tell my girlfriend.

I plan to go to the east coast of Mexico late October and check out some brokerages/marinas and buy a boat there, but I thought I would reach out here and see what is around and get some advice.

I am looking for a 30-36ft preferably "blue water" cruiser on the west coast of Mexico for 25k usd give or take some. I would like the boat to be in good condition without any major projects needed and easy to singlehand. I am aware of sancarlosyachtsales and they seem like a good broker so the plan is to head to Puerto Vallarta and up to San Carlos/La Paz and check out a few boats and see if I can get a good deal with some cash.

I would also be interested in boats that match the description in Florida or the Carribean but my heart is a little set on the Sea of Cortez.

I like double enders such as the Baba 30/Union Polaris 36/Westsail 32 but am open to anything.

Thanks.
JuanPoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 07:55   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: ~30ft blue water boat ~25kusd Mexico/Carribean/Florida

I doubt there are many sailboats for sale in East MX. Isla Mujeres might have a couple but not much of a choice. Florida or west MX are the places to go. Further south, the Rio Dulce in Guatemala has boats for sale.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 08:02   #3

Check out San Carlos for boats on the hard that people are reluctant to go back and get due to the severe bash back up the coast to the Western US.
Also, check out the California based magazine Latitude 38 which often has Mexico boats and news in it.
http://www.latitude38.com/classified...y.lasso?cat=32

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 09:09   #4

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

For boats that have been baked on the hard for a few years (Mexico/tropics) expect to replace most rubber items like impellers, belts, etc. The sun/humidity really do a number on many other boat parts when left in the sun so consider that in your purchase price and getting replacement parts.

Double enders are not too bad (we have one), but you do lose some stern storage space.

If you are going to keep the boat in the tropics try to get one w/the teak decks removed, it will keep the interior cooler.

Here is an older Vagabond. A double ender, a little bigger than your examples, but has teak decks and a little dry rot in the cabin sides (fixable).

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 09:45   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI

We enjoyed 2 years cruising the west coast of Mexico, Sea of Cortez. We came through the Panama Canal and bought waterfront property in NW Florida, Pensacola, Bayou Chico. Age and health challenges force us to sell our Endeavour 37. Come see. PM for number
oldcal46skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 06:36   #6

Boat: Pearson 367

A friend of mine just passed away. His family isnt going to keep his Baba 30. New electronics, bottom job, fresh varnish. Located in Rio Dulce, Guatemala. PM if you want more info.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 06:56   #7

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Here is an older Vagabond. A double ender, a little bigger than your examples, but has teak decks and a little dry rot in the cabin sides (fixable).
I clicked just for the hell of it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39' Vagabond Landfall
Super solid, full keeled cruiser capable of anything. This beautiful boat has crossed the Pacific 8 time and weathered 3 hurricanes at sea, years ago. The hull is 1 1/2" solid fiberglass. The stem is 7 1/2" thick, I think that you could bounce this boat off of anything and be fine.
LOL. Not my style of boat but it has certainly been there and done that as well as crossed the Pacific more times than most people on the forum here
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 18:43   #8

Thanks for all the information so far guys, that vagabond might be a bit more than I can chew but I'll definitely have a look at it when I am over there. I'll send you a PM LLCoolDave
Old 23-08-2019, 19:59   #9

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=JuanPoco;. I'll send you a PM LLCoolDave[/QUOTE]

You should really do that, maybe send a deposit too. How long will a good looking Baba 30 last? The teak fools are all over.
He even had the Gel coat buffed last year, it looks good.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 22:41   #10

I have a mariner 31 ketch I need to sell. $24k. Oceanside CA. 760 453 1348. Frank
Sheetit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 13:38   #11

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

I have a CAL 34 for sale in Jacksonville FL for $7500. It's a coastal cruiser, not really a blue water, but in very good shape, a survey done 6 months ago attests to that.
Capt D Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 08:02   #12

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Westsail 32 on CL 1977, never been splashed (probably still needs work), but on the east coast of US in your price range
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 23:30   #13

Thanks again guys, I will keep all of your replies in my mind as I get closer. Ecos - I am a bit unsure about putting a deposit down for a boat I haven't seen personally.
Old 31-08-2019, 10:43   #14

Boat: C&L Sea Ranger 36, Columbia Payne 9.6

I have a Columbia Payne 9.6 in Long Beach, CA (an overnight sail to Mexico) that I will be selling in the next few months so that I can return to my boat in French Polynesia. PM me if you're interested and I'll send you some details.
Old 03-09-2019, 19:53   #15

Boat: Cascade 36

Should you find yourself just north of the Mexican border near California... in San Diego...I would be happy to show you my Cascade 36. It may fit the bill and it would defintely be availble under your budget.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/cascade-36
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue water, boat, florida, Mexico, rib, water