Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2017, 16:08   #91

Re: Beneteau vs. Jeanneau?

I am thinking of buying a Beneteau 42 DS 2006 mod on Las Palmas and taking it to the Med in the beginning of April. Any pointers and tips would be appreciated. Got to say I love that aft cabin. Perfect for me and my girlfriend. Plan on crusing the Med for 6 months.
Heli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 14:36   #92

Not to disagree with any posts but I personally live in SC and have visited the Beneteau factory in Marion SC. They also build some models of Jenneau there as well. Both Beneteau and Jenneau are built in US and France
Stratolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 06:27   #93

Boat: 39 Feet French!

Just came back from a week with a Jeanneau SO 349. Sailing was excellent even in high winds (max 8+) and with pretty much used sails (charter). Very stable and the rudders are working easy and direct.
Interior is crap. Cheap build and there is not even a minimum of atmosphere inside.
Also the mainsheet system is nothing I would like to have on my boat. Sluggishly and, with all lines redirected to the helm, very uncomfortable with only one winsh per side. All the lines on the flor. If rough conditions with no time to clear them up. Dangerous if you need to change from one side to the other. Steady Woolings!
Reefing systems is also very sluggishly. Need smaller ropes. Standard is 10-12mm. Far to thick.
But sailing, after all the trimming work was done, was a real pleassure.
But another but..... we also sailed a 47 years old Contest 33 the week before. In similar conditions at 5-6 Bft, up to one meter waves. Same course, same wind direction. The Contest did up to 1.5 knot faster on the same wind angle till about 75 degrees. Much better upwind speed and stability and allmost the same downwind speed (both with only main/genoa).
The SO 349 is a good boat with good hardware but wrong (single hand) concept and discounter interior.
Linguini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 06:41   #94
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Beneteau vs. Jeanneau?

Lets be honest.. the 47yr old Contest did move you up a class..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 06:45   #95

Boat: 39 Feet French!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Lets be honest.. the 47yr old Contest did move you up a class..
:-) but it was so sad that the boat was in absolutely bad care condition.
Linguini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 15:58   #96

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post
I got one ('15 349). She's beautiful. She makes me happy.
Almost four years later, she still makes me happy. [emoji16]
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 11:30   #97

I owned a 1990 Jenneau Sunfast 39 a Sun Magic 44 1988 .And now a Beneteau First 45f5 with racing rig.1992.IMO the First is the better boat 26 years old and still like new down below.
twizzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 11:41   #98

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

For a number of years Jeanneau was aimed at more of a performance market. The design and fit out reflected that. Friends of ours who are keen sailors chose Jeanneau for good reasons.

However, it's not clear that this distinction still holds.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:15   #99

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli View Post
I am thinking of buying a Beneteau 42 DS 2006 mod on Las Palmas and taking it to the Med in the beginning of April. Any pointers and tips would be appreciated. Got to say I love that aft cabin. Perfect for me and my girlfriend. Plan on crusing the Med for 6 months.
I had a 2006 42DS and it was a very good boat. Raced it some. Rated and sailed about the same as all the other production boats. Sailed south to Mexico and back. It was a good offshore boat. The aft stateroom is great. A couple of shortcomings: ventilation in the aft stateroom, as well as the boat in general, was sub par. Get a bunch of fans. Some slapping at anchor in the aft stateroom. The boat tended to round up some in a breeze so control your main. Fuel tank at 34 gallons is stupid, but a Jeanneau trait. Had the boat for 8 years with no real production boat issues. Saw the boat a couple weeks ago in Catalina and it still looked new, both inside and out.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:10   #100

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzmeyer View Post
I had a 2006 42DS and it was a very good boat. Raced it some. Rated and sailed about the same as all the other production boats. Sailed south to Mexico and back. It was a good offshore boat. The aft stateroom is great. A couple of shortcomings: ventilation in the aft stateroom, as well as the boat in general, was sub par. Get a bunch of fans. Some slapping at anchor in the aft stateroom. The boat tended to round up some in a breeze so control your main. Fuel tank at 34 gallons is stupid, but a Jeanneau trait. Had the boat for 8 years with no real production boat issues. Saw the boat a couple weeks ago in Catalina and it still looked new, both inside and out.
This original quote by Heli was clear that he was talking about a Jeanneau 42 DS, and a Beneteau 42 CC which was built in the years he mentions.

The Jeanneau 42 DS is apparently is the one which Zzmeyer is referring to. This Jeanneau is a bit more of a performance boat than the Beneteau but really, the numbers are not that far apart.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:18   #101

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

You are correct, there is no Beneteau 42DS, but rather the Jeanneau. I had the second one delivered to the US and took delivery on January 18, 2006. You are probably right that it could have been called a 2007 (just like car models). Never raced against a beneteau 42 CC, but I bet you are right about performance. The Beneteau 423 rated the same as the Jeanneau and its performance was very similar to my boat.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:26   #102
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Beneteau vs. Jeanneau?

The Beneteau is for her, the Jeaneau is for him.. one has the purty interior, the other sails well.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, jeanneau