Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2018, 08:14   #1

Crew Wanted, San Andres, Colombia to Florida or Texas

For about 1st week of April 2018. San Andres to Caymans to Isla Mujeres to Florida/Texas. Route that is planned may change according to situation and is tentative.
Dates listed are a little flexible as to when I get crew. I expect the trip to take from 2 to 3 weeks.
If you are Canadian or American then you should have no problem going into those countries without a visa. If you hold other passport then it is up to you to get the proper visas needed.
Need crew, one/two persons. So that would mean, taking turns on watch, doing general upkeep and cleaning and repairs if things break, and enjoying the ride. I'm on a 32' sailboat, Lloyd's certified with lots of safety equipment. I am using Chris Parker, meteorologist to guide me with weather, routing and advice. He is the guru of guiding boats in the Caribbean and is well respected by boaters for his advice including delivery captains.
If you have sailing knowledge then so much the better.
XXX However it is important to me as to your character that you have. I would therefore need A RESUME, and at least 2 REFERENCES with phone #s of people who know you in general. They must be verifiable as to their phone #s, could be past employer(s), professional, such as accountant, prof., doctor, person of clergy, any religion including Christian, Buddhist, Muslim, etc...I dont want friends or family.
XXX If you cant give me references then please do NOT contact me.
So if interested you would have to give me the info as soon as possible.
If you are interested, please let me know if you wish further detail.
Hoping to hear from you.

My Sailing resume- sailing for 46 years from an 8' Sabot to 38' C&C Landfall. Owned about 20 different keel boats of several makes, raced some (1st. in the club for the year once- laser), sold them. Sailed the New York Barge canal from St. Clair Lake, Michigan to NYC, to Havana, Cuba, to Marathon, Fl., from Hopetown, Bahamas to Jacksonville, Fl.,crossed Lake Ontario four times, and Erie and the San Juans/Puget Sound/Vancouver Island many times. Miami to Panama to Colombia back to Panama to Colombia. Some of this is single handed.
Expenses- I don't expect it to cost a lot. Doing lots of motoring because of contrary winds for 1st part of journey. Before we leave, we visit a grocery store and stock up on food supplies.
Passport acceptable for countries going through, valid of at least 7 or 8 months.
Boat- Westerly 32, Fulmar sailboat, fin keel, good reputation English boat. As for heavy weather, I can assure you that the boat can take it. I don't expect heavy, however, if it happens, we go to a 3rd reef asap, lash the tiller to port or starboard, and wait out the storm. My boat heaves to beautifully.
Installed a new Simrad Nav. System with radar including a depth sounder.
-new chart plotter-familiarising myself.
If it says new below, then it is new within the last 2 years.
-New auto pilot.
-New arc or tower to support 2 solar panels and inflatable dingy.
-New wind generator with special quiet blades
-New Ritchie bulkhead compass
-New dodger
-New Fortress #23 anchor.
-New Rocna anchor
-New EPIRB
-New traveler
-New Dutchman system for lowering sails quickly.
-5 gel batteries bank, one for motor, 4 for house.
-new Condor Fish Finder, Depth Sounder.
Regarding Equipment:
2 liferafts for 6 persons (not re-certified)
New inflatable tender with oars.
Marine VHS with GPS and AIS receiving only, handheld.
Overall Sailing Matters:
Rules-
No alcohol while boat is moving at sea.
No smoking in boat- outside okay away from the wind.
You will be required to sign a waiver.
I am the captain.
If you have more knowledge than me in a certain area, then I may defer to you in certain areas only.
Crew position- Amateur, volunteer, unpaid,
Expenses to/from vessel Paid by crew
Expenses- onboard Contribution on a shared basis including fuel and food.
VESSEL- sloop
Make/model Westerly Fulmar
32 feet
Sailing from Colombia , San Andres to United States , Florida probably in the keys and maybe to Texas.
Language spoken aboard English & French
SKIPPER DETAILS
Age 77 Male
Fluent languages English French
Basic knowledge of Spanish
Qualifications CYA Basic Cruising
CYA Coastal Navigation
Sea Miles 2,500 - 10,000
tejeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 12:41   #2

Re: Crew Wanted, San Andres, Colombia to Florida or Texas

With all due respect..

Your ad is perhaps demanding and your content excessive.. These forums are generally not career level recruitment platforms but merely a social opportunity to connect sails with those interested...

A resume is generally an instrument that belongs to the job application process.. I can understand a couple of references and maybe a background check but beyond that, there is always an assumed risk when sailing with a complete stranger.. which maybe isn't ideal for you?
K4Sd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 09:54   #3

Boat: Columbia 57

^^^ agreed.
Most people with the references and other qualifications you require are going to want some sort of stipend. This forum is mainly for people looking to gain experience. That being said, I would consider this trip, have a cv avail, over 6000mi logged offshore including pond crossings. But I would need a working stipend. Pm if interested. Thank you
Dylan843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 15:50   #4

Thank you for your reply.
Sorry but no stipend. The people I usually get have very little experience if any, but are very motivated.
tejeda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Colombia, crew, crew wanted, florida, texas, wanted