Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2019, 01:28   #1

Location: France in summer, aboard GALAWA in Caribeans in winter.
Boat: Catamaran PRIVILEGE 435
From Panama to Sea of Cortez

I am considering cruising from Panama to the Sea of Cortez during January February 2020 with my 43 ' catamaran.
I would appreciate any advice on sea weather and coasts along this route .
Old 15-07-2019, 03:36   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: From Panama to Sea of Cortez

I have cruised that coast going the opposite direction--it's a fine cruise. Weather is mostly going to be affected by land: look out for Papagallos from Nicaragua to Guatemala, be wary of Tehuantepeckers. The local cruising guides (Sail Sarana was just being published when I went by) do a very good job of covering the weather and other wildlife.
There's lots of neat stuff to see, some remote places on the way (stock up on supplies when you can--your best bet is the city of David, accessed from Pedregal in Panama: next decent grocery store going north is in Mexico).
Avoid Corinto, Nicaragua; by all means explore the Gulf of Fonseca, and don't be afraid of crossing the bar into Bahia del Sol in El Salvador.

Tags
Panama, sea of cortez