Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2020, 10:49   #1

Boat: Catalina 30 / 46' Bayliner Avanti
Canvas windows and visibility

I'm kind of bummed about these plastics used with canvas for windows. At best case, after a good cleaning, your visibility is about half of glass. Wavy distortion and ripples in the material makes it hard to read anything or see debris.. or just enjoy the scenery.

Anyone have any solutions?

I suppose it's possible to modify the canvas to use a hard plastic. That's some expense and definitely some work. Anyone tried this?

Don't suppose there's some "miracle" you can just rub on to improve visibility...

Am I the only one griping?
newbie- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 10:56   #2

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Re: Canvas windows and visibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie- View Post
I'm kind of bummed about these plastics used with canvas for windows. At best case, after a good cleaning, your visibility is about half of glass. Wavy distortion and ripples in the material makes it hard to read anything or see debris.. or just enjoy the scenery.

Make a hard dodger and use glass. We put RainX on ours and keeps it fairly clean.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 11:03   #3

There is a thicker, harder plastic. My buddy (deceased) had it in his. I dont know what it is called, but it's much better than the usual flexible stuff for visibility. However, over time all plastics degrade some. Care in cleaning is important of course. On my favorite dodger it was designed for the front windows to roll up. So I had them rolled up a lot. Not great for beating, but off the wind it was fine and quickly closed up.

I could see a Plexiglass type of product used that velcro'd to the canvas with overlapping flaps working. With today's super strong glues to hold the velcro to the plexi, that would be possible. Often the clear area in a dodger is much larger than needed really.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 18:24   #4

Boat: Samson C-shell 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie- View Post

I suppose it's possible to modify the canvas to use a hard plastic. That's some expense and definitely some work. Anyone tried this?

Don't suppose there's some "miracle" you can just rub on to improve visibility...

Am I the only one griping?
My Jeep soft top did the same, I could barely see out of them. I believe its a bestop product specifically made for your dilemma.

Maybe it won’t be the long term solution but it sure helped my Jeep. It’s been almost 2 years. And the windows look much better.

Obviously a Jeep isn’t exposed to the same environmental conditions as a boat depending on location, but may be worth a looking into.
Chayal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 18:26   #5

Boat: Samson C-shell 36

I found this online. I don’t have personal experience but based on reviews I would give it a try, if you can find it... it looks like amazon has no stock at the moment.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Chayal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 18:44   #6

Boat: Catalina 320

I use Meguiar's there's a polish and cleaner, my canvas guy made the windscreen and sides from a stiffer material that doesn't suffer as much as the softer material required on the curved sections. Sorry, don't remember what materials I went with. Center section of the front windscreen is pretty stiff and instead of rolling it just hinges back over the top on those few occasions it is so hot I want it open.
https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-10-P...e%2C199&sr=1-6
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
canvas, wind