Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2008, 03:06   #1

Just rented a 20? Ft Catalina in Dana Point

8 and 7 year old had a blast with me. Cost me $40 bucks for a hour or so...gonna go for ahalf day or full day next time for $100-150... with my cousin

Wish the wife wasn't so scared...Wierd...I didn't notice a radio or flares on board..asked the guy about it and he said if anything happens, drop sail and call us on your sail phone....what you guys think about that...I was about a mile out...
sailinggeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 04:50   #2

Boat: searching
Do not

Even if everyone is an adult, do not leave the dock without all items required by the U S Coast Guard.

Try this site before your next venture.

Vessel Safety Check (VSC)

Glad everyone had fun, I feel like an 8 year old when sailing
Herbseesmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 05:33   #3

Boat: Westerly Falcon 34
not a bad idea to get yourself a handheld vhf and take it with you.
caribnsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 08:16   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribnsol View Post
not a bad idea to get yourself a handheld vhf and take it with you.

Whats a vhf and what's absolutely nessarry for a brief outing on a 20ft boat?
sailinggeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 08:30   #5

Boat: CSK, 33' Aita Pe'ape'a
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailinggeorge View Post
Whats a vhf and what's absolutely nessarry for a brief outing on a 20ft boat?
A VHF is a marine ship to ship radio. If you plan on sailing much more It wouldn't be a bad idea to pick up a cheap 100$ handheld VHF radio. Chanel 16 is emergency/coastguard frequency. Life jackets for everyone are a good idea, as well as a flaregun. Although I'm not sure if a flaregun is required for a 20ft boat.

Have fun!
Tnflakbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 09:00   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Great that you finally got out, and the young ladies had a good time. You need to do a bit of reading on safety items.

I would also look for a small sailboat jsimiliar to what you rented. You will get in a lot more sailing for the dollar that way. I bet you could find a boat for under $2,000 with a trailer. Maybe even a Hobie?
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 09:13   #7
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
My first boat was a Hobie 16, which we bought when our kids were 7 and 8 years old.

Boy did we have some fun with that boat! The kids loved to straddle the two hulls, just forward of the tramp, and ride it like a horse, spray flying. When they got a little older, hanging from the bracing rods under the forward edge of the tramp and surfing was a favorite sport. And the boat is so easy to beach we had great sails to uninhabited beaches for exploring and picnics. Quality family "togetherness" time.

One of my daughter's favorite memories is blasting across the mouth of the Potomac River in a 20-25 kt breeze, she on the trapeze and me desperately trying to keep us from capsizing. We did 7 nm in 20 minutes, beached it to rest, and then sailed the return trip. She was 16 at the time, and didn't realized how close to the edge we were.

Great boat, but it takes some time at the tiller in lighter winds to really learn how to sail it, before going out in heavier conditions, especially with the little kids on board.
Old 28-04-2008, 09:38   #8

Just to clarify the VHF thing. A VHF radio is not necessarily a marine radio. There are all kinds of portable VHF (very high frequency) transmitter / receivers that have nothing to do with marine use. You specifically need a marine VHF radio. Of course technically before you can use a marine VHF radio you need a maritime radio operators license. Granted the license isn't required in an emergency but will you know how to use it in an emergency if you haven't used it before? Will your wife? Quite a PITA just to go out for a day sail. Frankly I think you're fine to stick with your cell phone. You really should have required emergency equipment aboard though; flares, life ring, etc.

The most important safety issue is to ensure that another person aboard can competently take command if anything happens to you. Does your wife know what to do if you're hit by the boom and fall overboard, etc...
Hubec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 11:18   #9

George, I'm glad you got out on the water. You mentioned Aventura in your Meets & Greets post and I strongly recommend taking the Basic Sailing Course there. I cannot evaluate it versus other sailing courses, but they do teach you basic safety, man overboard, radio operation, reefing sails, etc. They give you enough to get out on the water safely and you'll know what to do if things start to come undone.

On my first charter on an Aventura boat, we left with 10-12 knots of wind and it blew up to 18-20 knots when we rounded the yellow nav buoy off of San Onofre. The boat heeled a lot more in the increased winds and the weather helm was significant. My crew (1 experienced guy and 1 other noob) and I used trial and error to deal with weather helm and reduce some of the heel. An experienced guy aboard and the info I got from the class were excellent resources.
AVSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 11:29   #10

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha George,

I would assume that if the boat is a Catalina it is probably a 22 footer.

The folks which rent boats are really setting themselves up for a world of hurt if they don't have required safety equipment. So, they might have just the minimum. Up to date signaling devices definitely would be required. The USCG has the ability to really fine big time and of course there is a liability issue. Some states require VHF or GPS if you do any offshore work. Others don't. Probably not required where you are sailing.

If you are really concerned then a call to your state boating experts or the USCG would be good just to clarify what is required where you sail to give yourself peace of mind.

In my state life jackets (PFDs) are required on kids at all times unless they are below decks. And, of course, there must be one aboard for each person.

Have a great next sail!!

JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 22:14   #11

Even in a dinghy I always have:
- handheld vhf
- white handheld flare / ref flare
- flashlight
- insanely loud whistle
- life jacket

A 20' vessel should absolutely have the USCG minimum gear onboard, plus a vhf for you. The guy who told you to just drop the sails and call him if you have a problem should be fired.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, dana point