Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2015, 13:10   #1

Boat: Shannon 38
Sherwin Williams Bottom Paints

I recently learned that Sherwin Williams is marketing am two part epoxy coal tar barrier coating as well as a variety of bottom paints including one that purports to be 49% copper by weight. Has anyone had any experience of using these products on sailing vessels particularly in warm water environments
Joyful Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 13:19   #2
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: SHERWIN WILLIAMS BOTTOM PAINTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucez View Post
Has anyone had any experience of using these products on sailing vessels particularly in warm water environments
My experience in San Francisco Bay is that the Sherwin Williams anti fouling paints have very mediocre anti fouling properties. I do not recommend them.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 16:42   #3

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I'd can't argue with the advice above from the guy who sees more boat bottoms than most of us.

That said, at least two people I know here in the Northeast have said very good things about that paint, and plan to stay with it when it's time to paint again. So maybe it's a case of YMMV.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 16:48   #4
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I'd can't argue with the advice above from the guy who sees more boat bottoms than most of us.

That said, at least two people I know here in the Northeast have said very good things about that paint, and plan to stay with it when it's time to paint again. So maybe it's a case of YMMV.
A short sailing season coupled with light fouling conditions certainly means you can get away with paints that do not do the job in places where fouling is more of a concern.
Old 04-05-2015, 16:51   #5

What kind of prices are you seeing on the copper based bottom paints?
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 17:14   #6

Boat: Shannon 38

around $130/gallon in the caribbean (where things tend to be 25+5 higher than on the mainland
Joyful Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 17:16   #7

Boat: Gulfstar Sailmaster 47

Coal Tar Epoxy is hard and brittle. Another S-W product like 646 Epoxy is a better choice. I have used there bottom paint for last 8 years in NC. and been very satisfied. They bought Seaguard, a bottom paint manufacturer in Portsmouth VA. who primarily makes paint for commercial shipping and the Navy.
DirtRdEarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 18:35   #8

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

We've coated fuel tanks on the outside with coal tar epoxy, it would be hard to get a smooth finish. The yards in Key west push Sherwin williams but they say its only good for one season.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 18:56   #9

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch

Many around my area have been very satisfied with the paint. It doesn't seem to be as good near the end of year two when compared to Micron 66 or Seahawk 44. Adding some Seahawk bio boost to the SW paint does substantially improve the performance of the paint but of course you're adding about $50 per gallon to the cost of the SW product. Of course one of the most effective products I mentioned is banned many places and another product I suggested is "only supposed" to be used with paints made by the same manufacturer.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 19:29   #10
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRdEarl View Post
They bought Seaguard, a bottom paint manufacturer in Portsmouth VA. who primarily makes paint for commercial shipping and the Navy.
"Seaguard" is a Sherwin Williams product. FYI.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:16   #11

Boat: Gulfstar Sailmaster 47

Seaguard is a S-W product, but it was an independent company before S-W bought them. The coal-tar epoxy is used for steel pilings and underground structure. The only way to get a smooth finish is to spray. The only drawback to the S-W paint is the lack of bioside.
DirtRdEarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 03:20   #12

Boat: Columbia 8.7
Re: Sherwin Williams Bottom Paints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucez View Post
I recently learned that Sherwin Williams is marketing am two part epoxy coal tar barrier coating as well as a variety of bottom paints including one that purports to be 49% copper by weight. Has anyone had any experience of using these products on sailing vessels particularly in warm water environments
I went with Super Shipbottom, not affiliated, with 62.5% copper at only 165 per gallon....could not be any happier. Super ShipbottomÂ* Hard Ablative Antifouling Paint
palm trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 06:54   #13

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

So far our SW bottom paint is at 4.5 years, and the first color is now starting to bleed through. Most of the time it has been in intensely foul water - St. Marys GA, and the ICW in Vero Beach FL. Those places, it did develop (easily removed) hard bodies, if left long enough.

Here in the Bahamas, where the water is far more forgiving, we see the expected algal growth, which brushes off readily.

Our second color is now visible over most of the bottom. If it lasts like the first, it will be 8-9 years between bottom jobs.

I would go back with it in a heartbeat, particularly as it's all of (at the time in 2012) $85/gallon in 5G pails.

I'd also go with their barrier coat paints; we painted the first coats red and put a reveal coat of gray over that to warn us when we were at the end of life on the bottom paint, and to reveal any dings which got below that layer.

The barrier coat is not tar; I've not re-discovered the PN, but their ablatives are P45 (softer, for under-10-knot, frequently at rest) and P30 (harder, for over 10 knots rarely at rest).
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 07:53   #14

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Update:

The boat's out of the water after 7.7 years mostly sitting in very foul/"productive" water.

We put two complete coats on. As seen in "Off we go into the wild blue yonder Part II" here, we thrashed around on a sand bar for a bit which likely is the cause of the wear on the bottom of the boat.

However, the little barnacle-bases pop right off with a spatula in the places where there's still paint, and the second (first applied) color is currently more effective than the remaining top coats.

We're more than pleased...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post
So far our SW bottom paint is at 4.5 years, and the first color is now starting to bleed through. Most of the time it has been in intensely foul water - St. Marys GA, and the ICW in Vero Beach FL. Those places, it did develop (easily removed) hard bodies, if left long enough.

Here in the Bahamas, where the water is far more forgiving, we see the expected algal growth, which brushes off readily.

Our second color is now visible over most of the bottom. If it lasts like the first, it will be 8-9 years between bottom jobs.

I would go back with it in a heartbeat, particularly as it's all of (at the time in 2012) $85/gallon in 5G pails.

I'd also go with their barrier coat paints; we painted the first coats red and put a reveal coat of gray over that to warn us when we were at the end of life on the bottom paint, and to reveal any dings which got below that layer.

The barrier coat is not tar; I've not re-discovered the PN, but their ablatives are P45 (softer, for under-10-knot, frequently at rest) and P30 (harder, for over 10 knots rarely at rest).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SherwinWilliamsKeel.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	222143  
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 11:30   #15

Boat: Bombay PH 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post
Update:

The boat's out of the water after 7.7 years mostly sitting in very foul/"productive" water.

We put two complete coats on. As seen in "Off we go into the wild blue yonder Part II" here, we thrashed around on a sand bar for a bit which likely is the cause of the wear on the bottom of the boat.

However, the little barnacle-bases pop right off with a spatula in the places where there's still paint, and the second (first applied) color is currently more effective than the remaining top coats.

We're more than pleased...
Sorry for rehashing an old thread but, Where can you buy it at?

Tags
bottom paint, paint