Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2020, 00:18   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Hunter Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecmo View Post
that sailing forum collective is just a bunch of yappin’ chuckleheads for the most part. They don’t know squat.

I see.

Do you have any examples to back up your synopsis?

I see owners with lots of different sizes and types of boats, because we all have different needs and guess what, owners tend to buy a boat that suits those needs.

So any photos of this yacht of yours? so the "yappin chuckleheads, that don't know squat" can see how this yacht fits your needs?

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2020, 01:26   #32

Hey Pete,

While Tecmo's unfortunate choice of excerpt is provocative at least and disparaging of CF at worst, the article he has posted a link to is quite good.

A super resource for boat-buying in general and "How he got to Hunter" in particular.

Tecmo, in future, please consider how the vernacular you use in an entertainingly written article might be perceived out-of- context when you transfer just a snippet of it to a posting on CF.

(The article is really well-done, though!)

Warmly,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2020, 02:00   #33

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecmo View Post
Adding this link to the thread.

https://bfsshop.com/how-we-got-to-hunter/

So let’s face it, across virtually all the sailing forums, Hunter is probably one of the most maligned brands of yacht there is…apart from McGregor, of course. “Cheap”, “Flimsy”, “Ugly”, etc. – you’ve heard it.

So why in the hell did I decide to fly in the face of all that “collective wisdom” and buy one? Simple, that sailing forum collective is just a bunch of yappin’ chuckleheads for the most part. They don’t know squat.
And to be technical, you've just joined them.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2020, 13:34   #34

I am relatively new at sailing, but I spent a lot of time researching boats that were easy to single-handle. Hunter for me is the best laid out boat for this. I can occupy one position behind the helm and handle the boat without disturbing passengers in the cockpit. For me this was a huge selling point and what convinced me to buy the boat.
Since then, I have had her out in conditions well beyond my experience, and I have always been more concerned than her. It is not a poorly conceived or shoddy executed manufactured vessel by any means.
disciplefk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 13:30   #35

Boat: Hunter 33.5

We also have owned (still do) a 1989 Hunter 33.5. We're something like the 50th owner, I think. The boat is rock-solid, no blistering or fibreglass issues, has a reliable Yanmar engine, and will take you to the end of the Earth. Systems are simple, reliable, and when in need of replacement, easy to swap.

The absence of backstays is a non-issue. Having them would make it easier to shape the sails in strong winds if you need to extract that extra 0.1 knot of speed, but really, I don't. The lines are are led aft, and the boat is easy to sail single-handedly. The only issue I have with the 33.5 is that the 21HP engine could be a little more powerful. But hey! I don't need to motor around fast.

We also sailed a 1999 Hunter 340 for a summer; same thing. Sailed well, solid, simple, more plastic-less wood, which was a shame, but otherwise, the boat was low-maintenance, low-effort, great under light and heavy winds.

Interestingly, those that don't like Hunters generally have not owned one. (I suspect this is true of most brands.) There are more refined boats out there, at a higher price point, but the Hunters are very satisfying to own and to sail, and represent great value.
Dsalvail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 17:25   #36

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Interestingly, those that don't like Hunters generally have not owned one. (I suspect this is true of most brands.)
I see statements like this quite regularly, and I always think "why would anyone buy a boat they didn't like from the getgo"? One needs not own a vessel to evaluate its features, both good and bad, and if the balance comes up canted towards the "bad" purchase is unlikely IMO.

This is not in specific reference to Hunters or any other marque, but rather a general philosophy about deciding on what boat to purchase.

Jim
Old 01-05-2020, 19:22   #37

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I see statements like this quite regularly, and I always think "why would anyone buy a boat they didn't like from the getgo"? One needs not own a vessel to evaluate its features, both good and bad, and if the balance comes up canted towards the "bad" purchase is unlikely IMO.

This is not in specific reference to Hunters or any other marque, but rather a general philosophy about deciding on what boat to purchase.

Jim
The problem Jim is many dont "evaluate the boat" they listen to bar stool gossip. I see it regularly on the forum, people with zero experience on a particular topic having an opinion they are sure of....just saw this in another thread.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 19:33   #38

Boat: Hunter 33.5

Jim, I think you make a valid point. I guess I should refine my statement, and add that I think sailing a boat for a few days in different conditions is necessary to "qualify" a boat.

Short of that, one may be repeating others' opinions, sometimes poorly informed ones.

It should be a habit we all adopt to answer the call for judgment when, and only when, we have owned/sailed/tried exhaustively a given boat or accessory, for fear of spreading misinformation.

Nonetheless, I agree with your logic: who would buy a boat, care for it, and finally dislike it passionately? A rational assessment of the pros and cons of a boat by actual owners may be the best we can hope for.
Dsalvail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 21:21   #39

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Nonetheless, I agree with your logic: who would buy a boat, care for it, and finally dislike it passionately?
I think you have my thoughts reversed here. I'm talking about evaluating a boat and disliking what you see BEFORE buying her. This could be simply aesthetic taste. For instance (no offense meant to anyone) I find modern Hunters to be unattr.active visually and that would influence any thoughts of buying one (amongst a legion of other things). I surely don't need to own one to come to that personally valid conclusion. But I'd not tell someone to not buy a Hunter because I don't think them attractive!

Or it could be the type of motor fitted. I've got many years experience around yachts and have some preferences, borne of a lot of observations, and I prefer larger displacement, slower turning engines to smaller, high speed (or turboed) engines. I do not need to have owned one to understand their drawbacks for my usage... and it does not matter if some number of others have had pleasurable experiences with such.

Anyhow, you likely get my drift here. I try, here on CF, to not give unsupported views on things, and I try to always preface opinions with little basis with a disclaimer when I succumb to the desire to comment on some subject where I'm not confident.

All this to support my thought that one does not need to be a long term owner .of an item to have a valid opinion about it.

Jim
Old 02-05-2020, 05:18   #40

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I think you have my thoughts reversed here. I'm talking about evaluating a boat and disliking what you see BEFORE buying her. This could be simply aesthetic taste. For instance (no offense meant to anyone) I find modern Hunters to be unattr.active visually and that would influence any thoughts of buying one (amongst a legion of other things). I surely don't need to own one to come to that personally valid conclusion. But I'd not tell someone to not buy a Hunter because I don't think them attractive!

Or it could be the type of motor fitted. I've got many years experience around yachts and have some preferences, borne of a lot of observations, and I prefer larger displacement, slower turning engines to smaller, high speed (or turboed) engines. I do not need to have owned one to understand their drawbacks for my usage... and it does not matter if some number of others have had pleasurable experiences with such.

Anyhow, you likely get my drift here. I try, here on CF, to not give unsupported views on things, and I try to always preface opinions with little basis with a disclaimer when I succumb to the desire to comment on some subject where I'm not confident.

All this to support my thought that one does not need to be a long term owner .of an item to have a valid opinion about it.

Jim
With respect Jim ,I would argue one does not have to of used or lived with a product to have an opinion BUT is it valid? we never really tested our opinion.

Once one has used something, preferably extensively then he/she has real insight into that product, first hand experience cant be beat by hear say, reading others (potentially) unsubstantiated opinions or the occasional observation, theres a difference between opinion and valid opinion.

I know little about hunters. I do have a friend that has sailed a hunter 49 extensively from new. This includes alot off of grid stuff between the Phillipines and the Pacific. I would say he has some very valid opinions about the Hunter 49, I'd say hes an expert regarding this boat, he knows the positives and negatives as he lives his mishaps and pays the Bill's.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:28   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I’ll tell you that any boat that has a green motor is a turn off for me, and that comes from long ago experiences and yes I know not all green motors are not actually green motors, many are just painted green, and just because 30 years ago there were problems doesn’t meant there are now.
But add a sail drive to that list and for me a not solid glass hull cause I’ve seen too many with water intrusion.
So for me, there are many boats that I’m sure are well made and good boats, but have features that I just won’t have as I mistrust them.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:48   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I’ll tell you that any boat that has a green motor is a turn off for me...
...there are many boats that I’m sure are well made and good boats, but have features that I just won’t have as I mistrust them.
+1 64pilot

All hail the mistrusters of green motors!
We were stuck in Vanuatu for two weeks alongside waiting for an engine part to be fed-ex'd to us at great expense (the part + astronomical courier charges). The initial engine may seem a solid purchase, but the facet of having a particular engine which everybody seems to forget (no offense intended) is that a manufacturer can strategically get you on the back end with excessively priced, branded replacement parts. And that manufacturer can, and does.
Hrumph.

Caveat emptor!
LittleWing77
Old 02-05-2020, 05:50   #43

Plus, is everyone aware of the sailor's superstition of not having anything green on one's boat? Extremely bad luck.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:51   #44

Boat: Hunter 44DS

Hi Kevmar - I’ve owned 3 hunters - a 1989 Hunter 30, a 2004 Hunter 33, and now a Hunter 44DS. I’ve also crewed on a 2001 Hunter 42 CC in the Salty Dog Rally in 2017 from Hampton to Antigua. I certainly not an expert in boat construction or sailing, but we’ve had some great times and experiences sailing in all kinds of conditions on Lake Ontario. For us the Hunters hit the mark.
jhagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:23   #45

Boat: Beneteau 423, 43’

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmar View Post
I would like some feed back on the Hunter sailboat i am looking at a 42 footer about 1995 .. I have heard so many negative comments !!!! i would think if they were that bad they would be out of busniess.. thank you

What’s funny and a bit ironic about this 10 year old post is that (according to what’s on Wikipedia) Hunter went bankrupt less than two years later, and was bought by Marlow Yachts.

When we were looking to by a coastal monohull cruiser in 2007, we focused on the three most popular alternatives: Catalina 42, Beneteau 423 and the Hunter. The standing rigging design and typically high freeboard, making for relatively cavernous salon and interior accommodations made the Hunter most different from the other two.

We ruled out the Hunter and chose the 423 over the Catalina because of the huge aft guest cabin (2 cabin version). We’ve been very happy with our choice and find our 423 very comfortable at sea or at anchor. Two weeks aboard at the island and we feel ready to stay another two weeks.

If I were choosing a live aboard that spent most of its time in a slip, the Hunters have the interior volume advantage.

Just my $0.02

Cheers!
Fbfisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass, hunter