Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2018, 11:54   #1

Boat: Hunter 380
Neglected Cabo Rico 38

My wife and I are looking at an obviously neglected Cabo Rico 38 this weekend.
While I am confident I can restore the interior to what it once was, the engine, sails, standing rigging, running rigging, etc scares me. The Cabo Rico 38 has always been my "dream boat," but I don't need a money pit, (beyond what a boat naturally is anyway) at this stage of my life. Of course everything is always dependent on the price you can purchase it at, but my strong hunch is that new sails and a new engine are absolutes, and they are certainly not cheap. Any opinions out there as to what other issues I haven't thought of might be total "deal killers?"

Thanks

Tom
Tom Boles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 12:41   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Neglected Cabo Rico 38

Wow. Where to start.

I would take as a basic truth that if a boat shows signs of neglect that you should assume that it has been uniformly neglected. But there are other factors such as the age of the boat and how and where it was used.

I would consider every mechanical, electrical, and plumbing system to be suspect. So that could mean extensive rewiring and replumbing. Look at electrical connections for signs of corrosion and/or heat damage, look for plumbing leaks and water damage. Give (and exercise) thruhulls a close look. Look for leaks around the chainplates. Check the condition of the bilge. The list goes on and on, but if many things looks a bit tired and neglected, then it probably all is.

The Cabo Rico 38 is a magnificent boat. I’m assuming that the brightwork looks tired. Don’t forget that some perfectly competent boat owners elect to let their boats go grey because they consider brightwork a waste of time and they have otherwise not abused the bare teak.

If it’s the one in Ipswich I’d pass. Clear interior water damage + teak decks = can of worms.
Old 20-08-2018, 13:11   #3

Boat: 48' Alu Cat
Re: Neglected Cabo Rico 38

Keep in mind that the value of a new hull is approxmatley 1/5 of a completed new yacht.
Seman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 13:17   #4

Thank you both for the info. It is a 1985 and has spent roughly half it's life in fresh water. For the past year, it has been "on the hard" which means that 52 hp Westerbeke has not run in a year. Common sense tells me to run the other way, but a I mentioned in my original post, this is my "dream boat." My wife thinks I am nuts for even considering it, but trooper she is, she is coming with me to look at it Saturday. She is probably right, but she can't ever know that....lol
Old 20-08-2018, 14:16   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

It is really going to depend on how deep you and your wife think your pockets are. If you have the skills already to repair all the major systems, and the money to do it yourself, do you have the time?

When you go look at the boat, look hard at the flaws, she may have leaky deck issues, too. And the guy who said he'd run away from it, you might PM him to find out some known flaws, too.

Ann
Old 20-08-2018, 18:02   #6

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

You are in luck. The only thing that would scare me away from a Cabo Rico from 1985 is a teak deck. With that said - I agree that everything should be suspect if its not been updated fro 32 years. Dirt doesn't always equal neglect... we don't really pay attention to our teak very much either. Its a lot of work and I would rather be snorkeling.

The westerbeke not being run for a year is really no big deal - if you look around most marinas I am betting 30% (just made that up) probably haven't left their slips in over a year. If you are eager to replace it then most are replacing it with a Beta Marine 43.

Everything in the bilge is fiberglass - there is no wood in the bilge. No chance of rot. The tanks are fiberglass. At most you may need to patch up some corners or the top with some new fiberglass because of leaks.

Boats from the 80's may be in need of new gelcoat and there is the occasional teak rail leak.

I replaced all my standing rigging, running rigging, the entire water system, all the hoses, many of the blocks, sails, updated the electronics, through hulls, bilge pumps, batteries, the canvas dodger/bimini, bonding wires, chain plates,... pretty much everything.

Don't expect to bring a boat from the 80's (CR or otherwise) back to near bristol condition without spending serious dough and even then after putting a lot of money into it you may never get to bristol if you ever expect to use your boat regularly. Frankly, if your wife is saying no, that is better indication that you should not get the boat than the money you would need to bring it back to whatever condition you imagine.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 18:46   #7

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

You can polish the interior but if the deck core is saturated it will be a waste of time. Bad decks particularly on boats with a teak overlay is the #1 deal killer I’ve been finding. If you are handy you can replace the engine yourself and rebed everything yourself. You’re not going to tear out and rebuild a deck yourself
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 18:58   #8
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

30 year old teak decks? run and don't look back.
Old 20-08-2018, 18:58   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
You can polish the interior but if the deck core is saturated it will be a waste of time. Bad decks particularly on boats with a teak overlay is the #1 deal killer I’ve been finding. If you are handy you can replace the engine yourself and rebed everything yourself. You’re not going to tear out and rebuild a deck yourself
Agree, a wet deck is big money and effort. We hired ours done at Power Boat in Chaguaramas,Trinidad. Best price we could find. Done during hurricane season by Perfect Finish. They stripped the hardware and did a very complete job. The other posts are good advice too. Expect to update all electronics and probably a lot of wires. Our chain plates were cracked, normal for the age. Your survey should reflect on the issues and impact the price you pay.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 06:58   #10

I really appreciate everyone's feedback here. I do have a question about the comments on teak "wet deck." Is this something I can see of feel? Or do I make the assumption that if it is teak, it is bad?

If I get past the deck hurdle:

zboss...you say most people are replacing that engine with a Beta marine 43. Ballpark, what I am looking at for purchase and installation? Also, you replaced almost everything I was thinking I had to do...probably yourself. I am no Mr fix it....How much to have it done?

Thanks so much

Tom
Old 21-08-2018, 07:01   #11

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Boles View Post
For the past year, it has been "on the hard" which means that 52 hp Westerbeke has not run in a year. Common sense tells me to run the other way

I’ve never understood the “it’s not been run in a year it’s probably a goner.” Thinking. I finished a full year refit of my boat not so long ago and and the engine fired up instantly after I bled it. No big deal.

That said I would inspect the engine very carefully if you can’t run it. Any signs of leaks around hoses or gaskets, oil, water, or coolant would be concerning. Pull the zinc on the exchanger for a look. Check the coolant and oil level. If any of them are not normal it points to poor maintenance before she was laid up.

I Agree with Anne; dirt does not equal potential trouble, particularly in boats that have sat for a year. They get dirty and smell musty and can be scary. Look deeper.
Old 21-08-2018, 07:48   #12

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY

I agree with all that has been said so far - great advice. I would like to add that it is better to fix up a boat that is capable of being used while the projects go on. That way you can take breaks from all the work and enjoy getting away from the dock/yard. Otherwise, it becomes a long, and expensive job with no relief.

Good luck, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 07:52   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Engine may well be OK. Our 115 hp six cyl Westerbeke sat idle for three years before we bought it. No issues. I found the best way to measure, detect water in the deck core was from inside using a moisture meter. A surveyor will have one or you can buy it. Electrophysics pinless capacitance type is commonly used by surveyors. I bought one. Damp teak and nearby metal can trick them into false readings but the interior surface must be considered dry and it will have no coatings to influence the readings.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 08:09   #14

Just had a survey done, engine wasn't started in over a year (has been on the hard) and it instantly started with no issues.
odonnellryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 08:15   #15

It sounds like a project boat definitely.
Make a list, estimate high for each thing. You will find 30-50% more things than you foresee. Then sit back and think about it. Do you want to work 2-3 years on a project or go sailing? With the 100's-1000's of hours involved, would you be better working overtime and having a boat you can use?
Really rough numbers, if you do most the work:
-engine=$15k
-sails=$15k
-upholstery=$3k
-rigging, spar work etc= $5k
-Tanks?= $5k
-shaft, stuffing, propwork= $2k
-Wet rudder core = $2k
-Teak deck removal, deck and cabin painting, if no core issues:$10k
-electronics, sutopilot=$5-8k
-Bottom paint =$2k
-misc mechanicals, pumps , hoses etc =$1k
-refrigeration?
-Batteries=$500

so far maybe $67,000

But it's possible the engine is good...?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabo rico