Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2017, 11:05   #1

Thumbs up Cabo Rico 36

I'm looking at a Cabo Rico 36 for purchase...Looks like there are not too many of them, and the 38 appears to be the more desirable boat. Anyone familiar w/the vessel, and common problems to evaluate prior to purchase. I have read a bit about poss. mizzen mast compression, and rudder mounting issues, but few reviews, info are available.

Thanks for any assistance.
Bashleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:42   #2

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"
Re: Cabo Rico 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashleys View Post
I'm looking at a Cabo Rico 36 for purchase...Looks like there are not too many of them, and the 38 appears to be the more desirable boat. Anyone familiar w/the vessel, and common problems to evaluate prior to purchase. I have read a bit about poss. mizzen mast compression, and rudder mounting issues, but few reviews, info are available.

Thanks for any assistance.
Just found your post. I bought a Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 a couple years ago and have had it on the hard doing a refit on weekends.

Did you buy one or still looking for one I will try and answer any questions.
jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 18:32   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhulmer View Post
Just found your post. I bought a Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 a couple years ago and have had it on the hard doing a refit on weekends.

Did you buy one or still looking for one I will try and answer any questions.

Glad to have the contact...I would love to see how u fabricated a mizzen support, or have u left urS alone? I do have some minor deck crush and plan to put in a support...
Old 10-07-2017, 07:41   #4

Quote:
Glad to have the contact...I would love to see how u fabricated a mizzen support, or have u left urS alone? I do have some minor deck crush and plan to put in a support...
Mine having been the last Tiburon built they had solved this problem. They added a raised deck on the after deck which afforded more head room in the aft cabin. Additionally, the mizzen mast support beam was beefed up to prevent the sagging of the earlier models.

I have seen several retrofit repairs on the earlier models by searching the web. Most installed a compression post which made the cabin more cramped.

The one I liked the most was done, as was done by the factory on the later models, they added a beam under the step. I believe that they used a piece of 2"x 2" x 1/4" wall square stainless steel tube rolled to the radius of the deck under the step and long enough to span the hull. They then jacked it into place and bolted this to the hull in several places. They finished the inside by wrapping in wood to hide the tubing.

I believe if I had to do it, I would cut out the liner under the step and glass the beam in solid so there are no bolts through the deck. This is what appears to be how the factory solved the problem.

Hope this helps,
Jim
Old 10-07-2017, 13:56   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhulmer View Post
Mine having been the last Tiburon built they had solved this problem. They added a raised deck on the after deck which afforded more head room in the aft cabin. Additionally, the mizzen mast support beam was beefed up to prevent the sagging of the earlier models.

I have seen several retrofit repairs on the earlier models by searching the web. Most installed a compression post which made the cabin more cramped.

The one I liked the most was done, as was done by the factory on the later models, they added a beam under the step. I believe that they used a piece of 2"x 2" x 1/4" wall square stainless steel tube rolled to the radius of the deck under the step and long enough to span the hull. They then jacked it into place and bolted this to the hull in several places. They finished the inside by wrapping in wood to hide the tubing.

I believe if I had to do it, I would cut out the liner under the step and glass the beam in solid so there are no bolts through the deck. This is what appears to be how the factory solved the problem.

Hope this helps,
Jim

Jim, that's good advice...however, I'm going to have to put in a post and jack to move the deck the 1/2 inch back to factory specs...I have seen the boat for sale in Washington and noticed they had installed a SS compression post. I'm not sure how limiting that would b, or if it would compromise our ability to move about in the cabin. I have noticed the raised aft deck on other Tiburon's and can see the advantages...
Old 10-07-2017, 14:12   #6

If you have the for/aft Pullman bed you will have to notch the Pullman to accommodate the compression post.

FWIW - I have post pictures of my refit here:
https://plus.google.com/photos/11081...921?banner=pwa
Old 14-07-2018, 20:55   #7

Jim, after much reflection and what I think is sound advice, I think I will pull the mast and replace the factory install. I’ll do what I can to increase the strength of the original footing. The comment made to me was, “It took it 40 yrs to get this way, it’s unlikely u will own the boat 40 yrs from now.” I think this is very realistic advice.

My next thoughts surround pulling the electric head and replacing it and the holding tank in the bow w/a composting unit. This will afford me the opportunity to rout the chain out of the forward locker and drop it down into the keel/bilge instead of all 300’ in the bow chain locker.
Old 16-07-2018, 13:40   #8

Quote:
Jim, after much reflection and what I think is sound advice, I think I will pull the mast and replace the factory install. I’ll do what I can to increase the strength of the original footing. The comment made to me was, “It took it 40 yrs to get this way, it’s unlikely u will own the boat 40 yrs from now.” I think this is very realistic advice.

My next thoughts surround pulling the electric head and replacing it and the holding tank in the bow w/a composting unit. This will afford me the opportunity to rout the chain out of the forward locker and drop it down into the keel/bilge instead of all 300’ in the bow chain locker.
Sounds reasonable to me. I think you will be happier without a compression post in the way. The Tiburon 36 is unique having an aft cabin on a 36ft center cockpit boat. The added head room on the later models is a plus but I think it works just fine if you aren't a large person.

I'm not a fan of the composting toilet but I think they both have their drawbacks so I never say never. I would love to have the space where the holding tank is for more chain. So good idea!

BTW - If you are interested. I have been working on refitting the ice box. I will be posting a complete account of the project here on CF. John with Coldeh marine refrigeration has advised me along the way. He is on the forum and I met him and his wife at the Annapolis boat show last fall. I decided to buy one of his refrig units custom designed for my box. He convinced me to reinsulate the box because the old insulation had lost it's ability to insulate properly. This project has taken several weekends but i'm almost finished and it was well worth the work and expense.
Old 16-07-2018, 17:21   #9

I’ll look forward to ur presentation on the refer rebuild. I’m not living in the boat yet, have not had a chance to evaluate the insulation of my box. It all looks virtually brand new, but like any old boat she is full of secrets and loves to reveal them at the most in opportune moment...[emoji849] I followed ur thread on ur fuel tank replacement, as my port tank is leaking and needs to be replaced, a job I am not looking forward too....! It’s my hope I can get it out while the boat is in the water and in mostly one piece so I have a template. Looks like u made ur own, but I don’t have that skill set so want to have an example for the replacement...I really enjoyed ur blog and pics!
Old 12-11-2022, 05:12   #10

Boat: Catalina 30 in PVR

Jhulmer. Where can you posts for the fuel tank replacement you did. I have just secured a 77 Tuberon and need some major refits.
dnimigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2022, 11:05   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnimigon View Post
Jhulmer. Where can you posts for the fuel tank replacement you did. I have just secured a 77 Tuberon and need some major refits.
I may have posted something about the replacement fuel tanks on my Tiburon but I can't find it either. I will post a few pictures here for future edification. I basically pulled the old rusted steel tanks, measured them and drew them in AutoCAD and had a Fab shop laser cut the parts out of 316L stainless steel and welded them together. All the welds were treated with pickle gel to remove the carbide precipitice and passivate. The tanks were then pressure tested and any leaks fixed. This was a job! and took a while to complete. All the cabonitry had to be removed and rebuilt after the tanks were back in. I will give you the CAD file for these if you decide to go this way. Others have just added a smaller off the shelf tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2678.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	461.1 KB
ID:	267434   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2694.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	456.2 KB
ID:	267435  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2701 - Copy.jpg