Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2018, 17:36   #1
cruiser

Question Sailing Centers in Scotland?

I will be attending a wedding in Edinburgh in late July and plan to spend a week traveling around Scotland by car. My questions is, are there cities, towns, villages that I should visit due to their sailing activity and/or history?

Thanks!
MNGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 18:56   #2

Re: Sailing Centers in Scotland?

I am also interested in a bit of sailing in Scotland. We will be going on a 10 day tour with a Scotish folk singer and then plan to travel on our own. It will be a year from this month. We hope to charter a few daysails in different ports. I look forward to the responses on this thread. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 02:13   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Sadly its a bit spread out. There are yachts for charter on Loch Ness and Oban area, but as for major sailing centers like Freemantle or the Solent, sorry.

What the West Coast does offer is astonishing unspoilt beauty. Find an island and the chances are you will be the only people walking on the fine white sandy beach. Little harbours and bays, with croft houses and distilleries, pubs with local fresh food. In all a quieter pace of life away from the modern world, certainly on the outer Hebridean islands, were school children still collect mussels on their way home in return for pocket money from the hotels and were drivers stop to pick up anyone walking along the road. just a completely different style of life.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 02:48   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
I am also interested in a bit of sailing in Scotland. We will be going on a 10 day tour with a Scotish folk singer and then plan to travel on our own. It will be a year from this month. We hope to charter a few daysails in different ports. I look forward to the responses on this thread. ____Grant.

highly reccomended

Selkie Explorers. Sailing holidays in Scotland
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 03:03   #5

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Sadly its a bit spread out. There are yachts for charter on Loch Ness and Oban area, but as for major sailing centers like Freemantle or the Solent, sorry.

What the West Coast does offer is astonishing unspoilt beauty. Find an island and the chances are you will be the only people walking on the fine white sandy beach. Little harbours and bays, with croft houses and distilleries, pubs with local fresh food. In all a quieter pace of life away from the modern world, certainly on the outer Hebridean islands, were school children still collect mussels on their way home in return for pocket money from the hotels and were drivers stop to pick up anyone walking along the road. just a completely different style of life.

Pete
Aye, is nae that the life ?
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 08:53   #6

Boat: Hans Christian 41

Not sure which Scotland pete7 has been to, maybe brigadoon? Anyway...

Big center of sailing in Scotland is the clyde with 5 big marinas and chartering everywhere. 20 mins from Glasgow airport, start with Largs marina or Inverkip, there really is so much to see and do.

To get the full picture just go to www.sailscotland.co.uk , full info on routes, chartering and more.

We always welcome anyone to scotland and if you can time it for the distillery cruise, well that is what sailing is all about! You will love it.
Sulaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 09:00   #7

A sailing friend of mine has this interesting web site full of info: Home - Scottish Anchorages
As his preference is the west coast of Scotland, you will not find anything about the east coast.

Even if Edinburgh is your first destination I would highly recommend to go sailing on the west coast and there are some charter companies there. Check out the marinas in Oban, Dunstaffnage, Adfern and Inverkip. Am sure you will find something, though for this season it might be a bit late.
Groathill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 00:47   #8

Boat: Dufour 40

Charter yachts are listed at
ASYC. Com
If you would be interested in a 34 ft yacht out of Oban, I can recommend Charlie Jack’s Harmony 34. Beautifully maintained and equipped.
Lionelsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 05:23   #9

The op was saying they would travel by car, so that changes things a little!

One plan might be to drive to oban taking in the amazing scenery on the way, aim to drive up the shores of loch lommond on the way, great inland loch.

Maybe edinburgh to largs on first day and take a look at the village of Fairlie where Fyffe yachts were designed and built. Sadly nothing left to see apart from a wind cardinal in the shape of a yacht. But nice atmosphere around the marina and town.

Next day up loch lommond to oban, stay there a night, great place as is Adfern to the south as mentioned.

Next take the ferry to Mull and drive to the island of Iona, then Tobermory for the night.

Back to oban and north as far as you like, all scenery is amazing from then on. If you feel like it drive up loch ness to inverness and then back down to edinburgh over the next few days.

As mentioned the west coast is best for sailing, the East coast is nice too, but long open coast lines and no crinkly bits! Beautiful old fishing villages all the way on the east coast.

One last place to mention is Tarbert south of Oban, very nice sailing village.

Its all good, if you want any more info, please feel free to ask.
Old 16-06-2018, 08:29   #10
cruiser

Thank you everyone! Yes, this will be purely a road trip, just looking for places to go to see some pretty boats I will be traveling alone, without a schedule or a plan. Looks like the West coast is the way to go and I definitely want to get out to the "crinkly bits'.
Old 16-06-2018, 09:17   #11

Boat: Dufour 40

Somewhere that I have seen from the water but not from the land is the kyles of Bute. Stunning.
Lionelsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 09:20   #12

Here is a pic of us going through the kyles of bute, to prove that lioelsole is correct!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0021.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	171859
Old 16-06-2018, 11:36   #13
cruiser

Wow! That is beautiful. Shaping up to be a great trip. Looking at following @Sulaire itinerary, but might skip Iona and instead to head way north. But my style of travel is usually very flexible, and will probably change plans when I'm there if I see something I like or am enjoying where I am.

Thanks for all the input so far, fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulaire View Post
Here is a pic of us going through the kyles of bute, to prove that lioelsole is correct!

Attachment 171859
Old 18-06-2018, 06:22   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulaire View Post
Not sure which Scotland pete7 has been to, maybe brigadoon? Anyway...

Big center of sailing in Scotland is the clyde with 5 big marinas and chartering everywhere. 20 mins from Glasgow airport.
True, but its a long way round Mull of Kintyre to get to the highlands and Islands, which are the really pretty bits. Why can't they keep the Crinan Canal up and running?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing, Scotland