Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2018, 12:20   #1

Sailing from Santa Barbra to Houston

Need help with the following:

We live in Houston and we are thinking about buying a boat located in Santa Barbra (a fully capable blue water boat). We are thinking about doing a long term delivery something like the this:

Santa Barbra - sail around the area for a bit and then head south - to Catalina Island for a few days and then off to San Diego. Leave the boat in San Diego for a few months and fly back to Houston for a bit.

At some point fly back to San Diego and then take the boat to CAbo San Lucas. Sail a bit around there and then leave her there for a bit flying back to Houston at the appointed hour.

I am thinking about hiring a skipper to take her from Cabo or Acapulco to Panama City. We would meet them at Panama City and go thru the canal and then head to Belize leaving the boat there while we fly back to Houston.

Going back to Belize we would sail to Isla Mujeres or Cozumel, Mexico. Leave the boat there while we head back to houston.

Flying back to Mexico we then head to Houston.

So need the collective wisdom:

1> Is this a rational plan?
2> Where are good marinas located along this path?
3> Is it safe to leave boats there?
4> Other than the Tehunapecker threat of very high winds - are there other areas of concern?
5> What other items/areas/thoughts should I be thinking about on a trip such as this.
6> When is the Baja HAHa?

I figure it will take us a total of about 6 months sailing to get the boat around (stopping as we see fit) - so maybe a year total to get the boat around to Houston.

We are accomplished sailors with lots of Bluewater miles and many different boats.

Need you west coasties to chime in and give me feedback/thoughts/ideas. We have never sailed on the west coast and do not know the ins&outs.

BTW - trucking is out of the question. Shipping is an alternative but this is likely the only chance we will ever have to explore the west coast and Mexico. We would really like to do some serious fishing in Cabo area.

Please point out the flaws in my plan......

Thanks
Dennis
dennisfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 13:21   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Sailing from Santa Barbra to Houston

Howdy Dennis!

That is a route I would like to take too, so I have done a lot of reading about the entire route, but as always still recognize that there is always more to learn. While I have sailed up and down the California coast, I have not yet taken that entire route as you propose, but it is something I would like to do in 2018, and am making myself available to help owners or delivery captains to do so.

The longest remote stretch would be down Baja California (the other areas are more shorter legs possible if you want to stop in harbors). Much has been written about that on CF, and the Baja Ha Ha site will have info too.

Main thing is to be aware of the lee shore that is the entire coast of Baja California (west coast of it) and the prevailing winds and swells, and the distance between safe harbors and fuel.

While it is rare to hear of yachts being lost on that leg, it does happen. A recent loss (of a couple) and their boat (about 50+ feet LOA sail boat) happpened just a few weeks ago, not far from Ensenada, during a storm. So, it can happen. Best to maintain some sea room when there is bad weather predicted. You can read about that loss here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ja-196038.html

You asked when the Baja Ha Ha happens.
The 2017 flotilla happened the last few days of October (29th) and it is always scheduled in late October for the jump off to go south to Cabo.

You already know about the Tehuantepec(ers) (severe strong winds that extend out many miles in to that gulf) and that is generally considered a riskier leg for prudent sailors crossing that Gulf. You can read about those in CF too.

A good cruising guide should be purchased, because of the need for you to possibly make stops along the west coast of Central America or Mexico. This is not a big deal, and you would be going in the right (easy) direction, heading south.

The key is to avoid the many seasonal hurricanes that come across Mexico . In a typical year, more than a dozen hurricanes or tropical storms are experienced in that area (west coast of Mexico). Easily done if sailing in the right season (which is why the Baja Ha Ha leaves when it does).

The rest of your plan (going to Belize, Cozumel to Houston) is not so difficult, with the most likely thing being some sailing to weather. There have been a small number of incidents involving assaults (piracy) on some of the Central American coast (Western Caribbean) and you can read about those on Noonsite or on CF.

The transit of the Panama Canal can be done by you and your wife if you have two other people helping with lines. You will need to pay for the transit and that could cost between $2,500 to $4,000 or so, depending upon the length of boat and how much of the paperwork processing you do (or if you hire an agent to facilitate things). The Transit Fee is quoted as being $800 for a boat up to 50feet, but other costs add up, with what appears to be an average of about $2,500 or some more for total costs (e.g. Renting lines, paying for pilot, etc.). In addition, you may have to wait several days (or longer) to make the transit, and if you are paying a delivery captain by the day, factor that in too.

Your proposed plan says you want to take your time, possibly to visit local areas where you stop multiple times. I understand that desire to see things too. A delivery captain will look to move faster, less stops, and some will no doubt say your entire move could be accomplished in a much shorter time period (if less stops and waiting).

The CF has a lot of experienced sailors, many may have done some or all of the route you propose, so I am confident others here will offer suggestions too.

Hope this helps.
Enjoy the forum and bon voyage!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 14:06   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hello, Dennis, and welcome aboard CF.

Relative to the Canal passage, they will have to "measure" the boat. Keep the certificate. It will save the next owner the cost for the measurement.

As Steadman pointed out, the tricky part is the interference of cyclone season. You'll want to have left Mexico in May.

Another tricky bit is that the weather may not cooperate with your desires for places to leave the boat, and the lengths of time. You did not say how long total you were looking at, for the delivery. I think if you try this, you will find that you will be constrained by the flight connections and marinas a whole lot, and lose a lot of the freedom of cruising, you will find yourself hampered by the necessities of schedules.

Ann
Old 09-03-2018, 10:20   #4

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Certainly doable.

Don't leave the boat in Cabo. Crowded, expensive, etc. Good airport, but ...

Better to leave the boat in La Paz, Mazatlan or Puerto Vallarta (Good marinas, good boat services, good access to supplies, etc etc)

If time is NOT of the essence, you will find spending a season in the Sea of Cortez and the Mexican Riviera a truly worthwhile experience.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 13:36   #5

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16

As part of your planning, research California sales tax law to be sure you don't end up paying sales tax. If you spend too much time in California waters you will owe nearly 9% tax. They take the position that you must prove the boat was not in California waters, so receipts will be important to keep for marinas after you exit California.
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 17:39   #6

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 44

Brought my boat up from Panama to Southern California, beating all the way. Would have much rather been sailing south. Watch for bad fuel; I got a tank full of a great silicone looking material and had to polish my tank to resolve.
A la carte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:34   #7

Boat: Seafarer36c

You should get to at least Costa Rica by November to be out of the hurricanes. Golfito is an OK place to leave your boat and there is an airport right there. The next place that is affordable is Bocs Del Toro Panama also below the hurricanes and with an airport right there. Next up would be the Rio Dulce, Guatemala. This is a very good spot to leave your boat with no hurricanes either. I would not leave my boat in Belize, there is not really any safe place. Out of hurricane season you could leave your boat in Isla Mujeres, MX if it were in a marina.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
houston, sail, sailing