Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2019, 09:32   #1

Virgin Islands update

Was going to make the Virgin Islandss my first bareboat . The hurricans took care of that. Waited till last year and did the Exumas and doing them again this fall. Want to do Virgin Islands Fall of 2020 We don't need every restaurant open if still closed from hurricane. I am out to sail, not do a restaurant tour.lol I'm more concerned about navigation hazards remaining and security. Normally I don't worry about security, but the hurricane left a lot of people unemployed which usually raises the crime rate Now that I have found this forum (which is great) Has anybody sailed the
BVI recently? What condition are things really in? Our chart company wanted us to still come less than 60 days after the hurricane. I said no because a) new to the area b) first bareboat. Didn't feel secure enough and want a smooth trip as one of my crew needs a good adventure as her only other sailing adventure was not good.. Second part of my question. We were going to fly into St. Thomas and rent from CYOA and sail over to the BVI. Part of this was bugetary. $300 less per airline ticket. Looked at flying into St. Thomas and using ferry to get to Navtours, Tortola but ferry crossing ridiculous price. Any real downside of sailing out of St. Thomas vs. Tortola. Thanks for your help ahead of time.
docwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2019, 10:04   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 and Jeanneau 371
Re: Virgin Islands update

The Virgin Islands are fine. Many businesses are up and running again. Me thinks ye worry too much. Most of the charter yachts have been replaced with new (via insurance), people are helpful and kind. Don’t go to Chicago.
piloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2019, 11:53   #3

Good to hear the islands are returning. When we took our Bareboat instructional class (3 couples) everything that could go wrong did., including getting stuck on a two cabin boat with 2 non-working heads. I looked at it as an sign of things to come if we took up sailing seriously.lol. One couple eventually got a hotel room each night so my wife and I didn't have to share the galley with the captain. That couple has agreed to give it another try so I am just trying to make sure this time is smoother. And yes I know something will go wrong. Doesn't it always>>lol
docwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2019, 11:57   #4

Quote:
Any real downside of sailing out of St. Thomas vs. Tortola.

Time. You have to check in to the BVIs and check back into the USVI on the way back.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2019, 12:17   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 and Jeanneau 371

Checking into the BVI’s probably took all of 1 hr. Back into USVI, maybe 30 minutes with CBP roam online. Thinking something will always go wrong usually ends up with something always going wrong. Piece of cake, changes in latitudes
Changes In Attitudes
piloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2019, 12:21   #6

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by piloto View Post
The Virgin Islands are fine. Many businesses are up and running again. Me thinks ye worry too much. Most of the charter yachts have been replaced with new (via insurance), people are helpful and kind. Don’t go to Chicago.
Hey, Chicago is very nice this time of year. Just don’t sail into some neighborhoods on the South and West sides. Some neighborhoods on the North side aren’t the greatest either. Stick to the Loop mostly.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2019, 12:26   #7

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

Things are cleaned up, the fleets are back, and the businesses are open. Customs at Sopers Hole, Tortola and Cruz Bay, St. John are open for cruisers and newly open for ferries. We have been down four times since since Imaria, most recently for June before hauling our boat in PR. Things are 95% for visitors. The residents who have not completed recovery are still struggling. I have no concerns about safety and security - if you don't go looking for drugs and secure your vessel & dinghy, you are good.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Virgin Islands