Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Asia
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2019, 00:37   #1

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA
Malaysia Insurance Requirements

Ive been seeing and hearing about the Insurance in Malaysia. Does anyone know what the actual requirements are? Things like full coverage or liability... and how much coverage, etc. Also what do those without insurance do?

This is the first time I've seen this on a country level, but have heard of it before I left port 3 years ago and didn't see it once across the Pacific...

thanks.
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 00:43   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Malaysia Insurance Requirements

No first hand info, still in Indonesia. From Noonsite
Quote:
It is a requirement for yachts checking into Langkawi and Penang that they have third party insurance
Old 24-08-2019, 01:45   #3

That’s pretty vague. Is there a coverage amount that anyone knows of?
Old 24-08-2019, 03:37   #4

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by theway View Post
Ive been seeing and hearing about the Insurance in Malaysia. Does anyone know what the actual requirements are? Things like full coverage or liability... and how much coverage, etc. Also what do those without insurance do?

This is the first time I've seen this on a country level, but have heard of it before I left port 3 years ago and didn't see it once across the Pacific...
Have you forgotten that Australian marinas also required you to carry insurance, in that case $A10 million of third party liability cover?

Many, but not all, marinas in Malaysia ask for insurance. Royal Langkawi Yacht Club, for example. It's up to the marina what they will accept.

I've known cruisers to buy comprehensive hull insurance. And others to buy third party cover only.

Talk to the marina in which you wish to berth.

The government-owned and operated marinas, such as the Marina Batu Uban in Penang, operated by Jabatan Laut, did not require insurance a few years back.
Old 24-08-2019, 06:13   #5
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

What I think is different, is that this is not just a requirement of marinas, but apparently even if you are anchoring, or maybe just cruising in their waters?

What about just passing through?

I can't imagine enforced on the local population, just foreigners. . .
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 23:16   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
What I think is different, is that this is not just a requirement of marinas, but apparently even if you are anchoring, or maybe just cruising in their waters?

What about just passing through?

I can't imagine enforced on the local population, just foreigners. . .

This is more what I’m getting at. I can email the marina and get specifics on the insurance, but they put it with the list of requirements.

From an email from them:
CIP (Customs-Immigration & Port) clearance will be carried out by our Puteri Harbour team. The documents needed are as follows:

a) Crew list from last port
b) Valid Passport
c) Valid Boat Registration
d) Valid Boat Insurance
e) Last Port Clearance
Old 24-08-2019, 23:18   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
Have you forgotten that Australian marinas also required you to carry insurance, in that case $A10 million of third party liability cover?

Many, but not all, marinas in Malaysia ask for insurance. Royal Langkawi Yacht Club, for example. It's up to the marina what they will accept.

I've known cruisers to buy comprehensive hull insurance. And others to buy third party cover only.

Talk to the marina in which you wish to berth.

The government-owned and operated marinas, such as the Marina Batu Uban in Penang, operated by Jabatan Laut, did not require insurance a few years back.

Definitely remember Australia requirements at most places. But Australia also has an easy way to obtain insurance for a foreign yacht passing through.

Do you or anyone else know of a local company to use? It can be difficult otherwise but that’s why I’m starting early.

Thanks.
Old 24-08-2019, 23:31   #8
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

I'm guessing that Malaysia will offer an easy to purchase local insurance option.

Likely not worth the paper it's printed on, company owned by relatives of some minister maybe, but enough to satisfy their requirements if you are riding bareback.

Or maybe I'm being too cynical. . .
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 23:31   #9

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Definitely remember Australia requirements at most places. But Australia also has an easy way to obtain insurance for a foreign yacht passing through.

Do you or anyone else know of a local company to use? It can be difficult otherwise but that’s why I’m starting early.

Thanks.
Get onto the sail se Asia Facebook page and search.
Several local companies and contact details mentioned plus requirements for customs check in.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 23:35   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I'm guessing that Malaysia will offer an easy to purchase local insurance option.

Likely not worth the paper it's printed on, company owned by relatives of some minister maybe, but enough to satisfy their requirements if you are riding bareback.

Or maybe I'm being too cynical. . .
Big brand insurance here is not much better.
By the time they depreciate the ***** out of everything, do some wriggling and then you've paid the excess and excessively high premium, its not worth it.
Old 24-08-2019, 23:36   #11

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Ask here;
https://www.facebook.com/Sail-Malaysia-108423889206122/
Old 24-08-2019, 23:38   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune's Gear View Post
Last post there was 2015.

The one I suggested above is very active.
Old 25-08-2019, 01:08   #13

Out of curiosity I did a bit of research and Chubb insurance in Penang are just one of the contestants vying for your Ringgit. On the application they ask some probing questions about previous claims and maritime experience including qualifications.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 01:20   #14

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:

The insurance you purchased in Aus has expired? And you didn't renew it?

Several (perhaps any) of the yacht brokers in MY can link you up with an insurance company.

And if you feel good about the American International Group, AIG, you could contact them: https://www.aig.my/business/products/marine

I suggest first you could ask the marina concerned what insurance (comprehensive or third party liability) they want.

My memory is that the marinas on Langkawi have been asking cruisers to show proof of insurance from about 2003. Of course, some cruisers negotiated their way past that requirement. Others bought insurance if they did not already carry coverage.

Where are you? If you were perhaps at Penang, I'd suggest anchoring at the Seagate Anchorage or at the shoals off the Marina Batu Uban (assuming that MBU does not have any empty slips) and then dinghying ashore to use taxi/Grab/public transport/etc to visit for instance the office of AIG or whatever insurance company you choose.
Old 25-08-2019, 01:33   #15

Boat: Aluminium 44' cutter-ketch

3rd Party Vessel Insurance - Malaysian waters.

The Malaysian Jabatan Laut (Marine Department) and thereafter the local Port Harbour Master, will insist that ALL cruisers show at both the time of check-in and check-out, evidence (acceptable to them) that your vessel has valid Third Party insurance. This rule has been in play for at least a year. In summary, all vessels sailing in Malaysian waters, must now carry 3rd party insurance (as a minimum).

Additional info about this rule, is contained in the attached link "and" please read the follow-on comments.

Owner's bad behaviour leads to change in cruising regulations for Langkawi - MySailing.com.au

The good news.
Several insurance companies will sell 3rd Party (only) insurance. Pantaneous is reported to offer acceptable rates with minimal paperwork.

The Malaysian authorities will allow a foreign flagged vessel to remain in Malaysian waters indefinitely however the skipper, crew, passengers must still comply with the normal length-of-stay tourist visa restrictions.

To my knowledge, all Malaysian marinas will also insist on sighting your valid insurance papers at time of check-in.

Be aware that Thailand has its own and somewhat different rules for foreign flagged vessels. An AIS "transponder" is now a manditary and must be active 24/7 while in Thai waters. Yacht insurance and personal visas have their own limitations. In my view, Malaysia is generally considered much more yacht friendly.
Jaden44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
government regulations, insurance, local information, Malaysia, marina & port info, men, passage info: to & from