Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2019, 01:41   #1

Boat: Hobbie Getaway 5m
Sail choices for Atlantic crossing

Hi

I would like to know from other skippers what sails (especially the material and sail age) they used for Atlantic crossing on monohulls, ideally 70ft vessel LOA sizes.

I m planning to do this crossing for the first time therefore considering the current sails wardrobe (with 2011-2014 NS 3DL) check. What are your thoughts on traditional Dacron only recommendation on thickness design cut would added info (highly appreciated).

Regards,
Harry
Old 05-08-2019, 09:20   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Sail choices for Atlantic crossing

The size of the boat shouldn’t make much difference in the sailcloth material selection. Laminated sails that get damaged en route will be difficult to repair and might have to wait to be fixed at a professional loft upon arrival - if then. We had a laminated jib delaminate on us once in a day race. Materials and techniques may have improved since then, but essentially the entire 5 year-old sail came apart in the space of twenty minutes. Sewing the layers back together would have created “tear-here” perforations, and we did not have enough tape or glue to re-attach hundreds of square feet of material, and the sailmaker didn’t think it worth fixing. A broad inventory could alleviate this problem; you could hoist a #2 jib if the #1 becomes unserviceable. How many sails do you have? Do you plan to carry two mainsails? We did on our transatlantic trip, using the older “delivery” main on the long haul and switching to the new one when we arrived in Ireland. The dacron sail held up through three F 8 - 10 storms, but having two aboard provided a good measure of insurance.
We also had a reefable Solent jib made for the trip, which proved quite handy for keeping our sloop rig balanced and made it easier to see where we were going when it got rough.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:59   #3

Boat: Beneteau first 26

If you plan to only sail and not motor :
Use the lightest and oldest sails you have .
If you plan to motor go with your normal wardrobe 5 years old sails are not old .

I went with my new mainsail which now I kind of regret because I could use the old one .
And I use my everyday jib which is a bit heavy and I changed her after 1000 miles to my lightest jib .

18 knots from.the aft with the swel will make the sails play ... Lighter sails play less and work better on that conditions .
Old 05-08-2019, 16:31   #4

Thanks for your input and I do have some older sails which I will consider after these feedbacks. I agree that Dacron with all the battens etc would be very heavy though I have personally sailed through 38knt winds without any issues (on two reefs). I acknowledge that Carbon sails are non stretch with all the bells & whistles however those are very expensive to buy and very difficult and costly to repair. Though this modern technologies sails are highly efficient in racing and I plan only for Cruising along the wind in safe and enjoyable speed.
Old 05-08-2019, 16:47   #5

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Are you eastbound or westbound? Going on the standard route in either case? Not really too hard a passage on sails in either case.
Old 05-08-2019, 17:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-AU View Post
Hi

I would like to know from other skippers what sails (especially the material and sail age) they used for Atlantic crossing on monohulls, ideally 70ft vessel LOA sizes.

what route, and what rig type (sloop, ketchup, etc.)?

Have to say I am a bit puzzled .... someone planning to cross the Atlantic on a 70’er asking such a question.

I m planning to do this crossing for the first time therefore considering the current sails wardrobe (with 2011-2014 NS 3DL) check.

those are pretty old for 3dl’s, if they have had much use at all. Old 3dls can (sometimes) disintegrate in the flash of an eye.

What are your thoughts on traditional Dacron only recommendation on thickness design cut would added info (highly appreciated).

straight Dacron pretty heavy and pretty stretchy on a 70’ sloop. Yea, doable, and most inexpensive option, but probably not a common option these days for boats that size.

Regards,
Harry
Breakingwaves
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:47   #7

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
Are you eastbound or westbound? Going on the standard route in either case? Not really too hard a passage on sails in either case.
Direction makes a big difference. Westbound is a rough passage. Squally conditions and strong winds. Eastbound is much lighter - going through the Bermuda-Azores high.
stormalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:20   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

As long as the sails are healthy, you are fine. There is quite high rate of squally conditions both on the way out and in. Otherwise sailing there is quite plain vanilla with periods of light and moderate winds mixed with much less frequent blustery days.

The further N you cross, the more demand on the sail, because your margin of equipment error/failure narrows.

If your sails are in good condition now, they should last two crossings too.

The return crossing, if done from the West Indies via the Azores, asks for fine light upwind sails as well as for a decent downwind kite and a boat that sails. Otherwise plenty of fuel.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:15   #9

Boat: Hylas 49

I'd want a main with 3 reefs, multiple jibs, a staysail and a whisker pole.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 13:46   #10

Boat: Shannon 38

I brought a Shannon 38 home to St Croix from New England with some very nasty wind and wave in the leg before Bermuda and was thrilled to have a moderately heavy main with 3 reefs, a furling jib and, most importantly, a heavy duty small roller furled staysail. If I were less put off by a second mast I might have been happy with the flexibility afforded by a mizzen but in the end I cannot imagine myself sailing offshore with any rig other than a cutter.
Joyful Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:59   #11

Thanks guys, I got a fair idea of Atlantic conditions, I have sailed in Pacific so far AU East coast , AU- NZ - AU- Fiji routes. I am looking at the routing charts and gathering info on Atlantic to plan a journey. I will be going from UK waters towards US , carrying towards AU (being hometown).

I appreciate your input.
Cheers.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:04   #12

Thanks for your reply, Its a cutter rig monohull. I sail Pacific ocean towards Islands and NZ side am aware of those waters, wind etc. Being the first time towards Atlantic I thought to seek info fro peers like yourself who have done this before. I learnt in life that sea routes can bring surprise from one crossing to another, its better to ask if unsure.

Wish you a fair winds and safe sailing.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:44   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-AU View Post
I will be going from UK waters towards US , carrying towards AU
Generally easy sailing at deep angles (except for here and there, like the first couple 100 miles). Make sure you wait long enough for the trades to settle in - if you cross to early it can often be light and contrary.

Lots of opportunity for headsail and/or double headsail (poled out). I would think about a set up which allowed double (or twin) roughly 120%'s to be set easily.

Somehow I am guessing you are not that interested in flying a chute.

I'd think about a 'passage mainsail' - short hoist, short roach, easy to handle.

I'd think about all that in hydranet cloth (perhaps dp cz if you do a 'twin').
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 14:26   #14

Thanks fellows, On my first Atlantic I would be sailing in laid back approach and go easy.

Tags
atlantic crossing, sail